• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2022 Six Nations] France vs England (19/03/22)

Can't see past France for RWC 2023
If France win the opening match (and they'd be favourites to) they'll have a clear run to the final, with only hubris really able to stop them.

In a final, it's anyone's game; this is not the France of "which France will turn up" but a home final will be a different psychological kettle of fish.

England showed no desire to put themselves in position to make plays. Repeatedly on both attack and defense the French players worked hard so they'd be ready for the next phase.

England's attack was so static and Young was often to nowhere to be found when the ball was placed. England was lacking at fundaments on attack and they are lucky france had so many drops or this could have been a lot worse.

Well, what can you say ? It was as we suspected/feared.
France are the best team in the tournament so no complaints about their Grand Slam. Just have complaints about our Coach and his batty selections/tactics and coaching.

At least we had Furbank, the best Fullback in world rugby :rolleyes:

But isn't that the thing with International rugby?
You got to be able to play different ways.

It's not like you can play Quins style of rugby at this level
France seemed to be able to do it tonight and most of the Championship.

In fact they played like Sarries in own half and then like Quins in attack, nice blend I think.

Huge congratulations to France. By a good way the best team in the tournament this year.

Would really like to see them win a WC, they are capable and they are at home so it's looking good.

Think it is just like any playmaker at 10. If they don't have options they can't do anything.
We still need a power back at IC, Marchant at 13, with OHC, Malins and Steward as back 3, they can all play across back.

Summer should be a complete rebuild to find backline that works.
Forwards seem to be about there, lots of questions still, but more on combinations rather than personnel.
Also think that Ford works better in a front foot team, but much worse when no forward dominance.
Smith, on other hand, can still control a game with a poor platform.

France seemed to be able to do it tonight and most of the Championship.

In fact they played like Sarries in own half and then like Quins in attack, nice blend I think.

So they don't play like quins which is my point….

Quins don't play anything like Sarries.

France have a great balance which is what Smith and Dombrandt need to also look to bring.

Not just that, but isn't that the thing with international rugby? you can't adapt the gameplan to best suit each of your players - and their backups...

We're not set up to get the best out of Dombrandt - but then, he's not good enough to deserve an international team that's set up to get the best out of him. Nor is Simmonds (who would require a different set-up) or Vunipola (who would require yet another different set-up) - and I haven't even moved past the 8-shirt!
Seems to work in Ireland and NZ

Also think that Ford works better in a front foot team, but much worse when no forward dominance.

based on what?

ford was arguably one of the best 10's in the league in arguably the worst pack.

As opposed to every other FH in the world, of course.
Smith is no exception to that - hell, nor were Carter, Wilkinson, Dominguez, Porta or John

As Tigsman says, last year, Ford was the best FH in the Premiership sat behind probably the worst pack.

Seems to work in Ireland and NZ
What does?
Setting up the team to get the very best out of 30 different players simultaneously?

If so, then I'm calling that a big at lie, as it's literally impossible to achieve

I could moan about our performance/selections but I'd rather praise France. They controlled the game very well tonight and didn't really give us a sniff. Our attack was laboured yet again. The French won by 12 yet I felt they had a lot more left in the locker if they needed it, that's scary for the rest of world rugby. Some of their attacking play is just a joy to watch. Dupont is a genius,

Don't know when the shortlist for player of the tournament comes out but my vote would go to Alldritt, he has been very good in every game. Some of the work he did on the floor tonight was top class.

Latest posts