• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] England vs Ireland - 09/03/24

I find the praise for Smith a little baffling. Sure he banged in that last drop goal. But there was a multitude of mistakes and lack of scoreboard awareness before that.

If the Irish clearance kick hadn't been ******** (needed territory not touch) we probably would of lost the game.

Not saying he isn't talented but that last 20mins wasn't a team closing out a game.

I find the praise for Smith a little baffling. Sure he banged in that last drop goal. But there was a multitude of mistakes and lack of scoreboard awareness before that.

If the Irish clearance kick hadn't been ******** (needed territory not touch) we probably would of lost the game.

Not saying he isn't talented but that last 20mins wasn't a team closing out a game.
Saw a Reddit comment pointing out that a completely composed team would have gone for the bonus point try with that second penalty right by the posts.

That'd be almost god-like awareness and frankly at the time I was thrilled to take the win, but I'm sure peak Ireland/NZ would have had that prescience.

That's really weird, because I find the lack of praise for Smith a little baffling. Kicked his goals, motivated the team, posed a genuine running threat, passed in front of the man moving forward, actually did close out the game with 14 men on the park.

Failed to stop Lowe from point blank range, despite making a tackle, which at least stopped him getting under the posts (which would have changed the result.)

Obviously this is speculation, but he would have kicked more points than George Ford did and the game would have been put to bed earlier. Ford's been kicking like an drain all season.

Daly's kick at 65th minute was dumb as ****. Earl I thought was lucky at the breakdown as he was on ball carrier before he was down.

But on the whole pack thing. It's about cohesion and back five balance not picking the best 8. They should have been looking for the best complement to itoje instead of just the other best lock since kruis retired.

Daly's kick at 65th minute was dumb as ****. Earl I thought was lucky at the breakdown as he was on ball carrier before he was down.

But on the whole pack thing. It's about cohesion and back five balance not picking the best 8. They should have been looking for the best complement to itoje instead of just the other best lock since kruis retired.
Exactly my point.
Chessum at 6 helps with the carrying, allowing Earl to be wider and Underhill to mix it up.

In the backline, moving Freeman to 13 would be a good 'squad' move.

Not too fussed as an Ireland fan - best team won on the day. I think Ireland fans need to get a reality check that Ireland now have a target on their back as NZ did for most of the 2010s - every team want to put in their best performance against what many perceive the best. Some poor performances on the day from Ireland but honestly when Twickenham is bouncing many teams have come unstuck.

I think winning a 6N post-RWC is a good achievement. We have Eng and Fra at home next year so if anything should target that as a GS shot whilst certainly blooding some new players.

Fair play England. Think for them they need to rock up and do again against France.

Fearful for Scotland coming up against a wounded Ireland.

Not too fussed as an Ireland fan - best team won on the day. I think Ireland fans need to get a reality check that Ireland now have a target on their back as NZ did for most of the 2010s - every team want to put in their best performance against what many perceive the best. Some poor performances on the day from Ireland but honestly when Twickenham is bouncing many teams have come unstuck.

I think winning a 6N post-RWC is a good achievement. We have Eng and Fra at home next year so if anything should target that as a GS shot whilst certainly blooding some new players.

Fair play England. Think for them they need to rock up and do again against France.

Fearful for Scotland coming up against a wounded Ireland.
Fair assessment but equally Scotland come to Dublin looking for a Triple Crown (almost impossible to win the tournament due to score difference)

If they were to beat us I hope the Trophy presentation is cancelled as if we (or any team) wins the 6 Nations with 3 wins then that shows a poor reflection on the tournament standards as a whole.

Fair assessment but equally Scotland come to Dublin looking for a Triple Crown (almost impossible to win the tournament due to score difference)

If they were to beat us I hope the Trophy presentation is cancelled as if we (or any team) wins the 6 Nations with 3 wins then that shows a poor reflection on the tournament standards as a whole.
I really don't think they'll win in the Aviva late Saturday afternoon St Patrick's Day weekend. Nothing against Scotland but winning a 6N ***le should be more motivation that a triple crown.

He is a Rolls Royce of a player, but can't help but think Doris hasn't been particularly great. Sometimes he does come across lightweight regardless of footwork in contact.

I really think losing to England away by a last minute drop goal shouldn't justify the hate on Murray etc. - disappointing to see really as I've absolutely loved this team for years now.

I really don't think they'll win in the Aviva late Saturday afternoon St Patrick's Day weekend. Nothing against Scotland but winning a 6N ***le should be more motivation that a triple crown.

He is a Rolls Royce of a player, but can't help but think Doris hasn't been particularly great. Sometimes he does come across lightweight regardless of footwork in contact.

I really think losing to England away by a last minute drop goal shouldn't justify the hate on Murray etc. - disappointing to see really as I've absolutely loved this team for years now.
Absolutely, for all the noise about how great England were it was a last second win at home. Ireland haven't become a bad team over night

if we (or any team) wins the 6 Nations with 3 wins then that shows a poor reflection on the tournament standards as a whole.
Why?
For this year, I'd agree that the standard isn't high. Italy can be best pleased of anyone, and if England can repeat against France, then they can also be pleased - but not really anyone else, regardless of last-day results.
But that's about performance, not because of results.

It's perfectly possible to have a fantastic tournament with 6 high quality teams and all matches going to the wire - in which case, the winning team is likely to only have 3 wins, which would show a brilliant reflection on the tournament standards as a whole.

ETA: Not accusing you here, but it's edging towards:
There have been a fair few comments in recent weeks that essentially boil down to "Italy are better than I thought they were, causing close games that I'm not used to, therefore the entire tournament is boring and flawed, because results are unpredictable"

I think muffin maybe aiming towards that Ireland could win the tournament on 3 wins, with England coming 2nd with a possible 4 wins?

I did wonder what caused Furlong to fall back in that manner.

Some force coming in from Genge and probably forearm / shoulder to the side of Furlong's head.

I did wonder what caused Furlong to fall back in that manner.

Some force coming in from Genge and probably forearm / shoulder to the side of Furlong's head.

I'd like to see the high shot that McCarthy put in around then too, if we are going to do this (I'd rather not).

I also think Furlong's attempt at a football esque spin and grab of the face probably made the ref less inclined to look at it

I think muffin maybe aiming towards that Ireland could win the tournament on 3 wins, with England coming 2nd with a possible 4 wins?

It would be unusual but BPs are part of the game and everyone accepts that beforehand. The four try BP was meant to incentivise attacking play and so devaluing that also has it's downsides.

Latest posts