• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] France vs England - 16/03/24

Damn, that really is a shame

No one else in the squad that can fill the gap he's left - imagine it'll be Daly to start and maybe Tuilagi into the 23 shirt (or Steward?)

Given Daly started the other games he's the obvious choice. But if you really want a like for like replacement - quick, good acceleration, low centre of gravity, good footwork then it's Earl :) . Semi serious point though, as far as possible you want someone who plays broadly the same way to keep continuity.

Given Daly started the other games he's the obvious choice. But if you really want a like for like replacement - quick, good acceleration, low centre of gravity, good footwork then it's Earl :) . Semi serious point though, as far as possible you want someone who plays broadly the same way to keep continuity.
England had two of them doing that unless you can clone Earl in some way he's still only doing it in once place be it back row or the wing, not adverse to brining in Roebuck, personally don't think he offers a huge amount more than Daly going forward (if Daly doesn't do some silly kicking ****).

You could say that about a fair few some pretty silly pens given away to give Ireland the 4 point lead at half time without having to do too much imo, he does make some pretty terrible decisions at times, as did DC on Saturday, Steward isn't exactly immune to silly descision either, take the WC semi for example, in the dying minutes putting that high ball up to knock it on to give the boks the scrum platform they had spent the last 15 minutes crucifying us with was hardly a master stroke, Ford with his poor drop goal when he could have attempted to play the advantage through the hands knowing a pen was on offer for example. I'm not saying ED doesn't make some utter howlers, it just runs throughout the team and he seems to get way more criticism than most.

Gutted about IFW as most seem to be, his cameos in 2 games and performance vs Ireland he has done his chances no harm at all. To have the sense to report symptoms over hiding them to get gametime shows a real maturity. Also doing his degree to prepare for his future, all this this together shows how switched on and realistic he is. He will be back for the summer.

On another note, In the SF we really fronted up physically but had next to zero attack so couldnt drive it home but vs ireland we showed a strong start to an attacking shape and built on the physicality. With the defensive shape looking better(not finished but better) too we are in a good place where i think we will be putting immense pressure on le garrec and Ramos. And could get some decent tries

Its a good sign SB favouring an attacking FB and wingers who pop up in the centre so all in all we really could be building something good.

I'm not expecting miracles and 8 tries but i really think we can win.

For me an unchanged pack and Smith getting a start . Likely be Daly starting wing. 23 will be interesting i think steward or dingwall as throwing manu in for his first 6n game in the new defensive structure could leave gaps.

For the love of Dog, please can we not have elderly outside centre Elliot Daly on the wing against France?

Surely Sniff Bostik has learned his lesson now? You know, the ones where swift, hard running wingers win matches? Or maybe the one where you can't coach outright pace?

He does have a Big Left Boot tm though.

Really feel for IFW, he's definitely done the right thing, but now it's surely time for Cadan Murley Will Muir?

Sounds like it was delayed symptoms from the match, not training.

Real shame for both player and team.

Last time we played in France one F Steward was on the wing.
Steward to 23 and then play IC when Slade get injured!!!!

Steward to 23 and then play IC when Slade get injured!!!!

You joke….I think!

Fra will remember Furbank's debut and it's not like he's now an entirely different beast with 40 caps under his belt. I'd be surprised if he's not targeted to some extent by what is a big and powerful French team - even Penaud is 1.92. If he is, hopefully he deals with it and that's that. But if he struggles would you really want Daly as full back Plan B?

You joke….I think!

Fra will remember Furbank's debut and it's not like he's now an entirely different beast with 40 caps under his belt. I'd be surprised if he's not targeted to some extent by what is a big and powerful French team - even Penaud is 1.92. If he is, hopefully he deals with it and that's that. But if he struggles would you really want Daly as full back Plan B?
Furbank doesn't need babysitting, he's also not a weak passive tackler.

The real question that SB should be asking is, is Steward better than Daly on the wing. We all want Muir or another but I doubt SB has the stones to put them in so it's one of two poor wing options.

Furbank doesn't need babysitting, he's also not a weak passive tackler.

The real question that SB should be asking is, is Steward better than Daly on the wing. We all want Muir or another but I doubt SB has the stones to put them in so it's one of two poor wing options.

All I'm saying is that he may well be targeted, probably with the high ball, given that previous experience. Hopefully he'll defuse everything and it will become a non issue but I'd be amazed if France don't try.

If we learned anything from IFW it's that an out and out winger is quite handy on the wing. I don't want to see Daly / Steward there or Daly covering FB.

Muir is a very powerful winger and I think could hold his own against the French ones.

This is fascinating...

I said a few years ago the real test of France is when they get some serious dissapointment, Edward's is world class but his hard working, working class style may not lend itself to the south of France island/non islanders when the heat really comes on.

I think that's what we are seeing now, the French mentality and club culture is so different, the only way France get through the dip is with graft and desire to want to defend for their life, and I'm just not sure they're capable of that.

After last weeks performance, which wasnt as great as most are thinking, England should really smell blood in the water, and I think this French team will all but implode if the first 20 mins goes bad for them.