• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] France vs England - 16/03/24

Yep, SA, Ireland, French and NZ defences are all notably different

I saw some commentary/analysis about England employing a 'hook' two players come out the line to put pressure/tackle the first receiver. England were undone a couple of times against Scotland using this as if the first receiver reads it there's huge space to go at.

As a (somewhat) neutral I don't think England are playing too badly. Trying to pull off their defensive system on turnover ball is really tough, especially against France

Still in this somehow. I'll be honest I thought England were going to fluff their lineout drills eventually there. Ever the pessimist.
France are all over us, but have been a touch profligate.
Not quite England v Scotland generous, but absolutely making the worst decision a few times. Could easily have the TBP by now.

I saw some commentary/analysis about England employing a 'hook' two players come out the line to put pressure/tackle the first receiver. England were undone a couple of times against Scotland using this as if the first receiver reads it there's huge space to go at.
The space is deliberate I think. Someone rushes to nail the 13 and then the winger concentrates on cutting off any wide pass. If the ball gets beyond that you're in trouble and it looks bad when it goes wrong

"I'm thinking of giving you a warning for repeated penalties in the red zone.
That warning may or may not be a final warning (which may or may not be as final as the word "final" suggests)"

Does that help?
Not really it's just ambiguous either give a proper warning or don't.

Go on then, elaborate.
No.
I'd rather watch the match than write an essay.
Have a look at... Any rugby manual, any rugby analyst on Youtube (I quite like Wibble), watch a few different teams play rugby, and you'll soon get the idea.
Not all defences are the same.

Go on then, elaborate.
Some systems blitz the first three attackers, then the rest of defenders drift. Some stick mostly player to player. SA (and now England) have a narrow blitz. Differences on which point of the attack you blitz hardest too.

The space is deliberate I think. Someone rushes to nail the 13 and then the winger concentrates on cutting off any wide pass. If the ball gets beyond that you're in trouble and it looks bad when it goes wrong

The Rugby Analyst on YouTube was the analysis I'd seen. Vaugley I remember Ford or Slade not being quick enough to get back in the defensive line.

Are France having a superb owl half time show?

Can't beat Italy
I didn't say the system worked! The Tandy system doesn't concede as much ground but does mean we don't put as much pressure on attacks and I wonder if that's part of why we lost all the penalty counts heavily

Latest posts