• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[2024 Six Nations] Italy vs England - 03/02/24

Saw on twitter that Roots has 77% tackle completion rate,
That's a concern, especially after how much was made of Barbeary's defence - I don't think his average was that low

Zero evidence of that throughout Borthwicks coaching career, but we live in hope
Is there not?

When was the last time Ford played anything other than a boring kicking game? It's been years.

I don't get the negativity...

They'll have a plan to evolve and progress...they've picked players to do that.

First 50 efficiency, game management, then They'll open it up a bit.

Roots MOTM
Freeman 3 tries.
Borthwick didn't evoke from the 6 nations to the World Cup. He had plenty of time to do so and did nothing.

What were the backs doing while the forwards were 'fixing' their set piece. Negativity is fair until SB proves us wrong, which he won't.

If you had said to me when Roots first signed for Ospreys he'd be playing for England a couple of years later I'd say you need locking up. Mad.

Saw on twitter that Roots has 77% tackle completion rate,
That's a concern, especially after how much was made of Barbeary's defence - I don't think his average was that low
Don't wanna be too much of a Roots apologist as I don't really think he should be there either but I wouldn't worry too much about this.

According to the Opta stats hub Chiefs have the lowest tackle success rate in the Prem but the highest dominant tackle %. Seems it's just the part of the Chiefs defence strategy to focus on making dominant hits and forcing turnovers even if it means missing tackles and creating leaks. High risk high reward.

Basically it's a team-wide strategy rather than a particular failing of Roots'.

Don't wanna be too much of a Roots apologist as I don't really think he should be there either but I wouldn't worry too much about this.

According to the Opta stats hub Chiefs have the lowest tackle success rate in the Prem but the highest dominant tackle %. Seems it's just the part of the Chiefs defence strategy to focus on making dominant hits and forcing turnovers even if it means missing tackles and creating leaks. High risk high reward.

I have no idea what his tackle stats were like at Ospreys but he always seemed to be pretty solid in defense tbf. I doubt he'll miss more than 1, maybe 2 tackles. Wouldn't be surprised if he hits 100% but my guess is you won't get much more than that out of him in terms of impact on the game (not that that is something to turn your nose up tbf)

Similar to what Sarries used to do. To flip it on it's head though, will he continue to try to tackle like he's in that system whilst playing as part of England's defence, which has a tendency to be passive? Our defence has been leaky as hell as it is, last thing we need is people used to rushing up to put in big hits, knowing someone will cover them if they miss, in a system where that cover for them missing actually won't be there. International sides with any ability will exploit that all day long, especially if he makes a habit of it.

Similar to what Sarries used to do. To flip it on it's head though, will he continue to try to tackle like he's in that system whilst playing as part of England's defence, which has a tendency to be passive? Our defence has been leaky as hell as it is, last thing we need is people used to rushing up to put in big hits, knowing someone will cover them if they miss, in a system where that cover for them missing actually won't be there. International sides with any ability will exploit that all day long, especially if he makes a habit of it.
Yeah that's my worry as well, especially as he's completely new to the environment/systems

We'll see, though - being paired with Underhill is the best possible introduction for him

Yeah that's my worry as well, especially as he's completely new to the environment/systems

We'll see, though - being paired with Underhill is the best possible introduction for him
Underhills ability to put in massive hits without needing to rush up is sorely missed.

To be honest I see Roots having the exact same England career as our last Kiwi back rower (Shields). He's just a very high work rate dog of a player but with no real USP. He'll put in consistently solid shifts for us but also leave us all thinking "is he really the best we've got?" each time he plays. I see him picking up 10-20 caps over the next couple of years before one of the young guns forces him out at which point he'll fade back into club level obscurity.

To be honest I see Roots having the exact same England career as our last Kiwi back rower (Shields). He's just a very high work rate dog of a player but with no real USP. He'll put in consistently solid shifts for us but also leave us all thinking "is he really the best we've got?" each time he plays. I see him picking up 10-20 caps over the next couple of years before one of the young guns forces him out at which point he'll fade back into club level obscurity.
Or Harrison...

I don't love some of the selections, but I'm prepared to reserve judgement for now. The 23 picked has the ability to play some attacking rugby. My hesitation is whether they'll be given the license to show it …

The Italian team looks pretty good on paper, but it's very similar to the one we saw in the World Cup which was very poor. I wouldn't dismiss them as a threat, but I'm also struggling to see what multiple predictions of them winning are based upon?

I don't love some of the selections, but I'm prepared to reserve judgement for now. The 23 picked has the ability to play some attacking rugby. My hesitation is whether they'll be given the license to show it …
That's generally my feeling. The selections are actually good players..each department has all the skills required.

But they need to be given the right tactics now to really move on and develop a strong team.

Let's hope that's the case.

That's generally my feeling. The selections are actually good players..each department has all the skills required.

But they need to be given the right tactics now to really move on and develop a strong team.

Let's hope that's the case.

The other issue is that outside of the front 5 there are new combinations everywhere. It's inevitable that for extended periods we'll look far more like a collection of individuals than a team, regardless of how we try to play.

Possibly/probably, but in the past year, we've mostly looked like a 'collection of individuals'. Certainly in attack. I prefer this collection on paper as I'm more optimistic of their ability to string a few passes together.

Ford will probably still kick a lot, but I think he is a lot more aware of attacking opportunities than Farrell ever has been. I don't see him kicking when we have an obvious overlap for example.

Ford will probably still kick a lot, but I think he is a lot more aware of attacking opportunities than Farrell ever has been. I don't see him kicking when we have an obvious overlap for example.
I would've agreed with this before but not since the RWC - something in that camp broke his brain, he's been very Borthwick for Sale, it's painful to watch

Latest posts