• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

5 reasons why Australia sucks

What about his choice in facial hair?
Pat-McCabe_2637755.jpg

I do not like it.

Good call.

This, on the other hand:
Tatafu-Polota-Nau-420x0.jpg

That is the kind of hair that makes a white guy join his black brothers on the podium at any olympic event and raise his fist towards equal rights.

Cool beans i know that rugby isn't about 100m sprint times. I was just using it as a reference point mostly.

I always thought 11 was pretty average, so that's something new to me. I guess i don't know many professional rugby players, shock horror!
There was a guy in my school and he ran the 100 in around 11.2, that was the fastest in the school but in terms of counties etc. it was considered pretty average.

That was hand timed. I ran low 11s at high school, at a districts athletics meet where they had electronic timers I was in the high 11s - I was quite disappointed!. A hand timed result, especially for events like 60m & 100m is almost meaningless. And that is why you have these whacko 100m times for rugby players, most of them are hand timed, especially results from school. Very few would actually run under 11 seconds and the only ones who would get close to mid 10s would be those that trained and competed in athletics. Rod Davies (QLD Reds) is a 100m sprinter, converted to rugby and he runs a 10.8.

I can guarentee there would be no rugby player running below 10.8, while playing professional rugby.

I agree. Well possibly slightly below 10.8m but I doubt there are any 10.5 rugby players in the world.

Digby used to play for my club (Wanneroo) and was quick, but not sub 11 quick and certainly not up there with the quickest wingers in the world. But you don't have to be super quick over 100m. Acceleration over 30m is more important.

As far as Mcabe goes - yes he does limit the Wallabies backline and doesn't offer much in attack. But he's the best we've got...

Last edited:
That was hand timed. I ran low 11s at high school, at a districts athletics meet where they had electronic timers I was in the high 11s - I was quite disappointed!. A hand timed result, especially for events like 60m & 100m is almost meaningless. And that is why you have these whacko 100m times for rugby players, most of them are hand timed, especially results from school. Very few would actually run under 11 seconds and the only ones who would get close to mid 10s would be those that trained and competed in athletics. Rod Davies (QLD Reds) is a 100m sprinter, converted to rugby and he runs a 10.8.

I agree. Well possibly slightly below 10.8m but I doubt there are any 10.5 rugby players in the world.

Digby used to play for my club (Wanneroo) and was quick, but not sub 11 quick and certainly not up there with the quickest wingers in the world. But you don't have to be super quick over 100m. Acceleration over 30m is more important.

As far as Mcabe goes - yes he does limit the Wallabies backline and doesn't offer much in attack. But he's the best we've got...

Limits the backline? wingers rarely touch the ball thanks to McMuffin.

*****ing about a winger taking 11 seconds to run 100 metres... What is this world coming to?

I agree ...how often do they get to run the length of the field in a straigth line, unimpeded anyway? ... in terms of attack, acceleration over a shorter distance, being able to step, and being able to break tackles, are far more important abilities

This whole cooper thing is crazy. Surely it's only going to end with Cooper going to league/france or Deans not coaching the wallabies.

This whole cooper thing is crazy. Surely it's only going to end with Cooper going to league/france or Deans not coaching the wallabies.

The two biggest problems for Australian Rugby's smooth sailing are kiwi's what a surprise.

don't want em? stop picking em! :)

keep your hands off! same with our league boys! :p

We'll stop picking them when NZ stops picking all the Samoans.

Nah we like them. Therefore we will continue to pillage the best rugby talent from the Samoan villages of Wellington, Tokoroa, and Auckland ;)

The two biggest problems for Australian Rugby's smooth sailing are kiwi's what a surprise.

Nope, the biggest problems are Injuries, lack of quality players to replace them, lack of a thid tier competition to have potential replacements match fit when they are needed, and people all to ready to put the knife in when things aren't going well (from within and outside of the camp)

Auckland has the highest population of Samoans in the world I think.

Well, Samoa is. Auckland does have more Polynesians than any other city in the world - around 190,000 (Apia has a population of 38,000, Suva has 88,000, Nuku'alofa 24,000 - so it literally has more than Fiji, Samoa and Tonga's capitol cities combined) in which a majority would be Samoan, but it's not quite as big as Samoa. This is of course ethnicity, however New Zealand has the largest number of New Zealanders, which as a multi-cultural society means many happen to be Polynesian.

Well, Samoa is. Auckland does have more Polynesians than any other city in the world - around 190,000 (Apia has a population of 38,000, Suva has 88,000, Nuku'alofa 24,000 - so it literally has more than Fiji, Samoa and Tonga's capitol cities combined) in which a majority would be Samoan, but it's not quite as big as Samoa. This is of course ethnicity, however New Zealand has the largest number of New Zealanders, which as a multi-cultural society means many happen to be Polynesian.

Yeah I mean city, D: I heard it in that documentary Sioane's 2: Unfinished Business.

Can we go back to the part where we say why Australia sucks, and how crappy they are... all this talk of Non-New Zealanders playing for New Zealand is making me think of the England Cricket team again, and that thread is long gone now...

My reason why Oz suck:
oneill2.JPG

Can we go back to the part where we say why Australia sucks, and how crappy they are... all this talk of Non-New Zealanders playing for New Zealand is making me think of the England Cricket team again, and that thread is long gone now...

My reason why Oz suck:
oneill2.JPG

Interestingly the only non New Zealand born player in the current AB's squad was born in Australia (Ben Franks.....).

Latest posts