• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

A Political Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
I love geordy of course he can be best man.

Maybe Stringer as Minister? I have seen him a couple of times in Manchester so can ask.
Alpha Bro can be the flower girl. We'll see how this mariage goes. Very tentative about meeting people from TRF ever since we met Peat and he called me if I recall correctly "an anorexic Paddy Jackson".

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah mate the marriage will be Catholic, and the children will be raised in the Catholic faith until they drift into agnosticism at around 15 just like their Daddy.

Tigs Man, this is cheating. Stay here and eat **** with the rest of us.

As much as I am shocked by this result I am also not shocked. Asking the general public to understand an issue as complex as this, and then providing confusing evidence from each side has led to bedlam and a circus. Due to this, I think many people in this referendum may have focused on one or two issues that worries them, ignoring or then being unable to see the bigger picture.

The economy is taking a hit. The pound is hurting and when article 50 is triggered, I can't begin to think of what will happen. The EU leaders are already moving into a strong negotiating position by talking about the costs that UK will have to pay to access the market when they are out. For some, this decision is economic suicide and a cause of global isolation. For others it's a chance to negotiate better deals with the world. Any good economist will tell you were the bargaining power will lie at this time.

In Wales, 0.4% of our GDP comes from the EU. The EU money has regenerated and supported fantastic projects and causes in many of the areas in Wales that voted against it. I only hope the UK government will do the same, but I can't see it.

I'm shocked and pretty gutted.

Nicola Sturgeon has already come out and said another independence referendum is likely and it promises to be closer than last time.

Sinn Fein will no doubt push for re-unification of Ireland and referendums on both sides of the border. While it may achieve a majority south of the border (although economically it would cripple the 26 counties), as long as there's a Unionist majority in Northern Ireland, that'll never come to pass in the north.

What are the effects on the city of London? Do we see a migration of business to Dublin or Edinburgh/Glasgow (should Scotland achieve independence)?

There was always going to be a shock to Sterling in the short term. Great for me seeing as I'll be in Belfast at the weekend. Their currency is now like monopoly money!

I can see NI going independent and applying for the EU.

I wish London would do the same. Or maybe not - London's better placed to play Switzerland. But independent nevertheless. I think its been made very clear that there is a significant cultural divergence between us and the shires.

Alpha Bro can be the flower girl. We'll see how this mariage goes. Very tentative about meeting people from TRF ever since we met Peat and he called me if I recall correctly "an anorexic Paddy Jackson".

- - - Updated - - -

Yeah mate the marriage will be Catholic, and the children will be raised in the Catholic faith until they drift into agnosticism at around 15 just like their Daddy.

:lol:

Please don't judge the others by me. Besides, I was ill and shocked. I felt like Aragorn going into the Prancing Pony and looking for Frodo - suddenly finding yourself with a bunch of pint sized yahoos going mental does give one a turn.

Young people turnout 18-24 25%

That is feking disgusting if true, the feking brats. I'm sorry but you have no excuse not to vote.

Yeh the older gen screw us but the younger gen have to blame themselves aswell.

The golden age of the UK were isolated from Europe, but I don't know the situation right now.

Young people turnout 18-24 25%
Have you a source? Though we do know that turnout is always much lower for the young - I'm a little surprised it's THAT much so.
The golden age of the UK were isolated from Europe, but I don't know the situation right now.
The biggest difference between now and our Golden Age: we have no empire anymore.

If the young people turnout was that low, we know exactly why Remain lost...

I hope the f*ckwit that thought the VOTIN' advert was a good idea has been sacked and ridiculed.

The vote is in, the decision is made we all need to pick ourselves up and take the opportunity that's presented to us. It's no good moping about it. From now on the risks will be greater and we will have to work harder but it could be the best thing that ever happened to us.

The vote is in, the decision is made we all need to pick ourselves up and take the opportunity that's presented to us. It's no good moping about it. From now on the risks will be greater and we will have to work harder but it could be the best thing that ever happened to us.

+1

Can someone please explain to us foreigners what benefits the English public will get from leaving the EU? Is the decision to leave the eu in any way linked to foreign policy/ better immigration control ? Or is it just because the British doesn't like the bereucrats in Brussels (this is what South African media is reporting on.)
I can only think of the negatives. More difficulties in immigration and finding work permits in the rest of Europe. So if there is someone who can summarize the benefits then that would be nice. In other news the South African rand fell almost 10% because of this decision so life for us will become more difficult .

Can someone please explain to us foreigners what benefits the English public will get from leaving the EU? Is the decision to leave the eu in any way linked to foreign policy/ better immigration control ? Or is it just because the British doesn't like the bereucrats in Brussels (this is what South African media is reporting on.)
I can only think of the negatives. More difficulties in immigration and finding work permits in the rest of Europe. So if there is someone who can summarize the benefits then that would be nice. In other news the South African rand fell almost 10% because of this decision so life for us will become more difficult .
Yes all of that.

This BBC article goes some way to explaining it
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-eu-referendum-36574526

The biggest issue boils down to FPTP system and how it disenfranchises voters https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/United_Kingdom_general_election,_2015#Results the key thing to look at is how votes does not equal seats and huge disparity between the two. couple with the fact our media like to pretend we have two party politics and those two parties have been the Center-Right Conserveratives and the Center-Left Labor felling like there is a lot of choice. Successive governments have not made it feel like they listen to concern of little man and there is a feeling to sticking it to them. For example a lot of people are still angry that the bankers got bailed out it global recession whilst many people lost their jobs.

There is a also strong streak of people feeling we are loosing out identity and fear that immigration is diluting us down.

Can someone please explain to us foreigners what benefits the English public will get from leaving the EU?

As far as I can tell:

1] An amount of money that we otherwise gave to the EU - probably about £160M per week; which we could spend on public services. In reality, we'll still send some, probably most of that to the EU anyway as part of any trade agreements; and the rest that we COULD spend on ourselves, we'll almost certainly spend as tax breaks for the wealthy, and MP's pensions.

2] The right to close our borders and only accept the immigrants we want, whilst rejecting welfare-seaking immigrants. In reality, we won't do any of that if we want to trade with the EU; and even if we did we could reject the welfare-seaking immigrants because there aren't any - an EU migrant gets no benefits for the first 3 months, and then can only claim benefits for 6 before they dry up again.

3] We're free to sign trade agreements like TTIP with the USA - of course, this would be absolutely horrendous; but we seem to be the only country in Europe who actually wants to do this.

4] Less neoliberalism, despite seemingly being the most neoliberal country in Europe.

5] We'll have the right to re-nationalise the railways, and possibly other stuff. Again, we won't, but we'll have the right to.

ETA: Oh yes, this government also wants out of the European Court of Human Rights; and things like employment law (expect minimum levels of annual leave, breaks etc to bite the dust); basically once out of Europe, we'll have the right to treat people like ****; and possibly to treat employees like ****.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts