• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks 2021-2023 Thread

So it's the same as the stuff except Karl is there instead of de groot, sowakula and havili are in instead of Jacobs on and frizell.

I don't get the no de groot, i would have him starting. Its interesting because he only made it into the all blacks in the first place because Plumtree wanted him despite the scrum coach not wanting him. But his scrummaging has been great. More importantly, Karl is going overseas. This has never happened before that I can recall - a player getting picked despite having booked his ticket overseas. And especially since its close to a world Cup. Shows how much they care about beating Ireland. Or is de groot injured?

I don't get the no de groot, i would have him starting. Its interesting because he only made it into the all blacks in the first place because Plumtree wanted him despite the scrum coach not wanting him. But his scrummaging has been great. More importantly, Karl is going overseas. This has never happened before that I can recall - a player getting picked despite having booked his ticket overseas. And especially since its close to a world Cup. Shows how much they care about beating Ireland. Or is de groot injured?

Stuff saying he's too heavy/lack of fitness for the AB selectors liking. And presumably not mobile enough for their game plan? But yeh like Karl T is any more mobile and isn't it better to go with a younger player who is actually going to be there for next year?

ALL BLACKS SQUAD TO FACE IRELAND (new caps in bold):

Props:
George Bower, Nepo Laulala, Aidan Ross, Angus Ta'avao, Karl Tu'inukuafe, Ofa Tuungafasi

Hookers: Dane Coles, Codie Taylor, Samisoni Taukei'aho

Locks: Scott Barrett, Josh Lord, Brodie Retallick, Tupou Vaa'i, Sam Whitelock

Loose forwards: Sam Cane (c), Akira Ioane, Dalton Papalii, Ardie Savea, Hoskins Sotutu, Pita Gus Sowakula

Halfbacks:
Finlay Christie, Folau Fakatava, Aaron Smith

First fives: Beauden Barrett, Richie Mo'unga, Stephen Perofeta

Midfielders:
Jack Goodhue, David Havili, Rieko Ioane, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Quinn Tupaea

Outside backs: Jordie Barrett, Caleb Clarke, Leicester Fainga'anuku, Will Jordan, Sevu Reece

Last edited:

Stuff saying he's too heavy/lack of fitness for the AB selectors liking. And presumably not mobile enough for their game plan? But yeh like Karl T is any more mobile and isn't it better to go with a younger player who is actually going to be there for next year?

ALL BLACKS SQUAD TO FACE IRELAND (new caps in bold):

Props:
George Bower, Nepo Laulala, Aidan Ross, Angus Ta'avao, Karl Tu'inukuafe, Ofa Tuungafasi

Hookers: Dane Coles, Codie Taylor, Samisoni Taukei'aho

Locks: Scott Barrett, Josh Lord, Brodie Retallick, Tupou Vaa'i, Sam Whitelock

Loose forwards: Sam Cane (c), Akira Ioane, Dalton Papalii, Ardie Savea, Hoskins Sotutu, Pita Gus Sowakula

Halfbacks:
Finlay Christie, Folau Fakatava, Aaron Smith

First fives: Beauden Barrett, Richie Mo'unga, Stephen Perofeta

Midfielders:
Jack Goodhue, David Havili, Rieko Ioane, Roger Tuivasa-Sheck, Quinn Tupaea

Outside backs: Jordie Barrett, Caleb Clarke, Leicester Fainga'anuku, Will Jordan, Sevu Reece
According to foster they want him to get fitter. Karl was picked because the other two are young so they thought an experienced player could complement them

Looking at that ABs squad I still think the front 5 are the weak link. The backline as ever looks very dangerous but the best teams will fancy their chances of bullying NZ up front like Ireland and SA did last year. I don't think the forwards picked are good enough to get the All Blacks competing at the RWC.

Looking at that ABs squad I still think the front 5 are the weak link. The backline as ever looks very dangerous but the best teams will fancy their chances of bullying NZ up front like Ireland and SA did last year. I don't think the forwards picked are good enough to get the All Blacks competing at the RWC.
I think it's catch 22. The Props lack the test match experience and below Retallick and Whitelock, there is a lack of quality and experience in the engine room. Got to give those below starters the test match experience to make that jump up.

But do you think any other options would be better?

But do you think any other options would be better?
100% Otago bias here but i think degroot and Ainsley could have been in with a shot. Degroot needs to work on fitness but demolished the blues front row in our QF and ainsley has probably got more meters with ball in hand than any other kiwi prop this year....think we've gone for the middle between dominant and mobile...but just end up with someone thats not world class at either

I would also have had MMT over PGS, PGS was huge in the early rounds...but has faded where as MMT has been playing better as the season rolled on and the games became more important...which i would prefer

I'm happy to see perofeta and fakatava in there as both as both seem to play better in the big games....sometimes i worry we pick too many flat track bullys, i would rather someone that scores 10 points in every single game rather than someone that scores 50 against minors but disappears against the big teams

there is no point selecting these new guys if we dont play them though....and the favs from the last couple of years 23 are still there...we'll see

frizzell can bugger off, thug

100% Otago bias here but i think degroot and Ainsley could have been in with a shot. Degroot needs to work on fitness but demolished the blues front row in our QF and ainsley has probably got more meters with ball in hand than any other kiwi prop this year....think we've gone for the middle between dominant and mobile...but just end up with someone thats not world class at either

I would also have had MMT over PGS, PGS was huge in the early rounds...but has faded where as MMT has been playing better as the season rolled on and the games became more important...which i would prefer

I'm happy to see perofeta and fakatava in there as both as both seem to play better in the big games....sometimes i worry we pick too many flat track bullys, i would rather someone that scores 10 points in every single game rather than someone that scores 50 against minors but disappears against the big teams

there is no point selecting these new guys if we dont play them though....and the favs from the last couple of years 23 are still there...we'll see

frizzell can bugger off, thug
yeah I'd have de groot starting. But I agree with the tighthead selections.

As far as MMT vs sowakula, sounds like they think sowakula has room for improvement. But certainly I agree he tapered off toward the end of the season compared to MMT.

yeah I'd have de groot starting. But I agree with the tighthead selections.

As far as MMT vs sowakula, sounds like they think sowakula has room for improvement. But certainly I agree he tapered off toward the end of the season compared to MMT.
PGS is also 4 years older than MMT

So Finlay christie was poor in the final, his kicking having in particular having a big negative impact. I really feel for Bryn hall missing out on the maori all blacks because Finlay, who he clearly outplayed, made the all blacks which means weber and TJ make the maori at Bryns expense

NZ maori scraping the barrel a bit, a lot of players who were there last year are unavailable this year and a few players who have either been injured or just not selected in super rugby have been selected in this squad. Hopefully their lack of fitness won't be a burden.

Loosies interesting, not sure who will play 8 or who in the forwards is going to get go forward ball. Three out of four outside backs are fullbacks, the fourth has been injured most of the season. Good props and midfielders.

Last edited:
My guess:
Bower
Taukeiaho
Laulala
Retallick
Whitelock
Vaai
Cane
Savea
Christie
Beauden
Faiangaanuku
Tupaea
Ione
Reece
Jordie

Karl
Taylor
Taavao
Scott
Sowakula
Smith
Mounga
Clarke

thats harsh. this game wasnt the coaches fault. it sits squarely on the shoulders of the players who got themselves carded
i honestly believe the cards are just the superficial aspect of the loss, we had no structure on attack or defense, i have seen almost nothing in new tactics, gameplan, selection or player development that would convince me fozzie is the right man for the job.

he seems to just look up player rating on Rugby Challenge or something then stick the 15 with the highest rating on the pitch, even if it means out of position, i know very few NZ fans still defending him

and as i posted in the irish tour thread, the fact savea...someone who has played in every loss to Ireland...someone who has captained the all blacks...was unaware they had never won a test in nz before...just shows fozzie isn't even doing a good job of instilling pride in the jersey or the legacy it represents

i honestly believe the cards are just the superficial aspect of the loss, we had no structure on attack or defense, i have seen almost nothing in new tactics, gameplan, selection or player development that would convince me fozzie is the right man for the job.

he seems to just look up player rating on Rugby Challenge or something then stick the 15 with the highest rating on the pitch, even if it means out of position, i know very few NZ fans still defending him

and as i posted in the irish tour thread, the fact savea...someone who has played in every loss to Ireland...someone who has captained the all blacks...was unaware they had never won a test in nz before...just shows fozzie isn't even doing a good job of instilling pride in the jersey or the legacy it represents
all these losses will serve NZ imho. going into this WC as not the favourites is good for ABs. too often we've been favourites and we've been soundly trounced. this time we'll be going in with nothing to lose, flying under the radar. let France and Ireland shoulder all the expectations of worldRugby

all these losses will serve NZ imho. going into this WC as not the favourites is good for ABs. too often we've been favourites and we've been soundly trounced. this time we'll be going in with nothing to lose, flying under the radar. let France and Ireland shoulder all the expectations of worldRugby
the problem is, fozzie doesn;t have the courage to play a young hungry team....he will play all the same people...people that have been losing more than any all black team in recent memory...losing to teams we've never lost to before...hes basically just breaking their will and confidence and will then blame them for not winning

Latest posts