• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks Coach - ? who gets it?

Larksea

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
New Zealand
I can't honestly say I'm 100% keen on Hansen getting the job. I don't think his personality is quite right for the Head coach role. One of the best things about henry is how he held the team of coaches and players together for so long, all the people involved respected Ted a lot and Ted looked after them. I don't think Steve could do the same. One person who I think has the people skills Henry has is Ian Foster - but I'm not 100% convinced with him as a coach - his selections over the last two years with the chiefs have miffed me a bit.

I always thought of Ted as a "people coach" as much as a Rugby coach, I don't see that in Steve.

I hope it's not a forgone conclusion that the job will go to Hansen, seems to be so.

I read somewhere that Hansen will be the head coach until Deans his contract with Australia is finished. Then Deans will take over.
The good thing is that most of the starting player will stay in NZ, meaning they will keep most of the squad.

I think Hansen is really one of the only options.

Ian Foster is one of the most unsuccessful coaches in New Zealand Rugby.
John Kirwan has worked magic with Japan but was average with Italy and he hasn't ever coaching in New Zealand which rules him out.
Ribbie Deans is with Australia.
Warren Gatland is with Wales.
Vern Cotter is genuinely a good option and is interested. Certainly in the capacity of backs coach he'd be fantastic, if not as head coach which I wouldn't mind at all.
John Mitchell is with the Lions and possibly South Africa.
John Plumtree is with the Sharks and won't be going anywhere.

It seems like it's a two horse race between Cotter and Hansen. I'd probably pick Cotter just because I think he's got a better rugby mind, but I think Hansen has probably earned it.

Henry's confident in Hansen, I'm confident in Hansen... Nuff said.

Henry's confident in Hansen, I'm confident in Hansen... Nuff said.

Cause Henry would say someone he worked with for eight years wasn't good enough to do his job...

The NZRFU have talked about continuity and succession planning over the last couple of years.

That leads me to beleive that this one is a lay down misere for Hansen

I'm in favour of continuity - it just makes sense. The thing that doesn't make sense tho is if we are going for continuity why would Foster even be considered? Even as assistant?

He's shown that continuity for him is continual failure.

Based on this I'll go Cotter. But Hansen will get it.

I'd be more than happy with a Hansen/Cotter combo with Aussie McClean backing up. It's not going to happen - I know but dreams are free.

I hear Martin Johnson is looking for a job.

NZ will never give the All Blacks job to a foreigner.

That'd be like Oz giving the Australian Cricket Team coaching job to a foreigner.
...wait... oh

I think i'd be ok with Hansen as head coach but I'd want to make sure he got the right assistants. I wouldnt like to see Hansen pick his own assistants and see him bring his mates Mick Byrne and Aussie McLean in. I'd be much happier with Hansen as coach if Foster and Cotter were the assistants.

I think i'd be ok with Hansen as head coach but I'd want to make sure he got the right assistants. I wouldnt like to see Hansen pick his own assistants and see him bring his mates Mick Byrne and Aussie McLean in. I'd be much happier with Hansen as coach if Foster and Cotter were the assistants.

Give me one reason other than he was coach of the Chiefs, that you think Foster deserves an assistant coaching position?

Give me one reason other than he was coach of the Chiefs, that you think Foster deserves an assistant coaching position?

because he's a very good people person and very diplomatic, very good with the press - I think the only person in the hunt for the position that has those similar traits to the same level that Ted has.

Though I don't agree with his selections at times I believe he is under rated as a coach. The chiefs have had some average years but at least one maybe two of his bad/average seasons can be put down to dire injury crisis. And the one season the Chiefs had a good run with injuries they won something like 13-15? games in a row and made the final.

IMO fosters two big failures at the chiefs was to secure/develop enough top level tight 5 players locks in particular and the same for 2nd five. Apart from that he did do a lot of good things,and in particular as I pointed out he is a great people person and he's great with the press - two areas I think Hansen is pretty weak.

I think Blackadder has done a good job but you gotta put things in perspective. He inherited a winning team stacked with all blacks in every position and the two worlds best players on his books. To his credit though he has I believe at the least maintained the high standards the crusaders have - I do kinda see him as a potential future all black coach.

because he's a very good people person and very diplomatic, very good with the press - I think the only person in the hunt for the position that has those similar traits to the same level that Ted has.

Though I don't agree with his selections at times I believe he is under rated as a coach. The chiefs have had some average years but at least one maybe two of his bad/average seasons can be put down to dire injury crisis. And the one season the Chiefs had a good run with injuries they won something like 13-15? games in a row and made the final.

IMO fosters two big failures at the chiefs was to secure/develop enough top level tight 5 players locks in particular and the same for 2nd five. Apart from that he did do a lot of good things,and in particular as I pointed out he is a great people person and he's great with the press - two areas I think Hansen is pretty weak.

Which are all very important traits when running for a long term career in politics, doesn't mean I wan't him as an assistant coach of the All Blacks. With out seeming harsh, he's some what of a loser as a coach. Finishing 4th, 6th, 7th, 6th, 7th, 2nd, 11th, 10th in Super Rugby doesn't build a picture of a coach who can build a squad and get results. You can blame injuries, but every team has them and it's up to the coaches and the conditioning team to prevent them. I'd much rather have a coach who can create a winning culture and get results, than a coach with a nice smile.

Which are all very important traits when running for a long term career in politics

Also important for building a good team environment and getting the best out of the players - which as I pointed out was one of the key ingredients Ted added to the mix. Fosters record isn't flash, but he's never had a good enough tight 5 to seriously push for the ***le, Chiefs have had journeyman props and locks the whole way through - year in and year out having IMO the weakest tight 5 on paper out of the NZ based teams. At least with the All Blacks he wont have that and for the most part he wont be coaching the forwards anyway. Need to look at more than just the results - if anything the team that always seems to score below par for their strength on paper is the Blues.

I have my beefs with Foster, they had one of the most talented back lines in the game this year but Foster persisted at 12 with a plonker who couldn't pass so everyone 13 and out were starved almost the whole season.

For his faults, he did some good things too.

L'Equipe is saying that the new coach will be announced this Friday. They seem to think it'a straight contest between Hansen and Cotter.

L'Equipe is saying that the new coach will be announced this Friday. They seem to think it'a straight contest between Hansen and Cotter.

It is and I think Hansen is well ahead on browny points. Cotter is a good coach but won't be selected ahead of Hansen. No way.

Steve Hansen was a very poor coach with Wales,

coached them in a really naff period around 2002/03 and suffered 40-50 point thrashings regularly against England and the Tri Nations and selected some really dire players in his time such as Craig Morgan

led Wales into the RWC 03 losing all 6 Nations matches, and at the World Cup he started it with Shanklin as a winger, and Ceri Sweeney ahead of Stephen Jones and Wales nearly suffered a disaster defeat against Tonga

but he managed to select the right team eventually by a big fluke when he played a supposed "second XV" (actually was largely the best team) against New Zealand, and luckily in that match it finally dawned on him that Jones was far better than Sweeney, Gareth Thomas would be a very good full back, and that Shane Williams shouldn't be ignored just because he's small

in fact some of Wales' best servants and most important players over the past few years were buried by him

He thought Shane Williams was too small and selected some real dreadful players ahead of him such as Craig Morgan, Tom Shanklin (not a dreadful player but not that good as a winger), Nathan Brew, Matthew Watkins and Jamie Robinson all got opportunities on the wing ahead of him as well before the World Cup, Shane only just made the squad as a third scrum half and luckily Hansen played a second string side against New Zealand for him to get his chance and become a Wales legend

Also he kept taking Adam Jones off after 30 minutes, since then Jones has become one of the world's best tightheads

Hansen looks a shoo-in for the All Blacks job, but I think it would be a mistake to appoint him

coached them in a really naff period around 2002/03 and suffered 40-50 point thrashings regularly against England and the Tri Nations and selected some really dire players in his time such as Craig Morgan

led Wales into the RWC 03 losing all 6 Nations matches, and at the World Cup he started it with Shanklin as a winger, and Ceri Sweeney ahead of Stephen Jones and Wales nearly suffered a disaster defeat against Tonga

but he managed to select the right team eventually by a big fluke when he played a supposed "second XV" (actually was largely the best team) against New Zealand, and luckily in that match it finally dawned on him that Jones was far better than Sweeney, Gareth Thomas would be a very good full back, and that Shane Williams shouldn't be ignored just because he's small

in fact some of Wales' best servants and most important players over the past few years were buried by him

He thought Shane Williams was too small and selected some real dreadful players ahead of him such as Craig Morgan, Tom Shanklin (not a dreadful player but not that good as a winger), Nathan Brew, Matthew Watkins and Jamie Robinson all got opportunities on the wing ahead of him as well before the World Cup, Shane only just made the squad as a third scrum half and luckily Hansen played a second string side against New Zealand for him to get his chance and become a Wales legend

Also he kept taking Adam Jones off after 30 minutes, since then Jones has become one of the world's best tightheads

Hansen looks a shoo-in for the All Blacks job, but I think it would be a mistake to appoint him

Is it not the Welsh players at that time were not the best? Anyway he has been able to learn from that and has experience from working and learning from Henry for the past few years.

Graham Henry and Co made some poor mistakes in the RWC 2007. I think the point is they believe that coaches can change albeit only after a massive uppercut to the ego.

Hansen will get it. I'm questioning his choice of assistants.

Based on GH's and Hansen & Smiths interviews over the last eight years, it just seems that they just didn't out and out agree with each other on everything. I think the coaching setup needs conflict & competition (based on the respect for each other's accomplishments/intellect), and in his choice of Assistants he clearly is in a superior position.

I'm hoping that the Assistants don't give the whole "Yes Sir, No Sir, two bags full sir".

Latest posts