• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks final World Cup squad?

I just hope Faumuina and Dagg havent managed to wriggle there way back into the team other than that I couldnt really care less as its far to late to be taking any real bolters.

Yeah, under any other circumstances I would have loved to have taken Faumuina. Mainly because of his versatility which is very valuable. While it's been argued he's a pretty crap scrummager (which he may well be, I haven't seen the numbers), he can be excellent on his feet. Especially close to the line. But as the commentators were saying today, a few matches here and there before the WC next month is not enough to hit your stride.

Laulala may not be versatile but his form over the campaign this year has been nearly just as good as Owen Franks and Crockett. Him and Cody Taylor are our future, even if the latter will be playing second fiddle to Coles for some time to come. Might as well get some golden experience, win or lose this Cup.

I wouldn't be surprised if that's right. The more I've thought about it today the more I've thought cj is going to make it. Cj excels under pressure whereas Milne shudder does not. Or it could be piutau who makes misses out, Milne skudder providing the X factor option

I wouldn't be surprised if that's right. The more I've thought about it today the more I've thought cj is going to make it. Cj excels under pressure whereas Milne shudder does not. Or it could be piutau who makes misses out, Milne skudder providing the X factor option

I'm still convinced they'll take 5 outside backs and only 2 half backs, so if CJ made it, NMS and Piutau should be there, along with Savea and Smith

Stuff.co.nz tipping Naholo to be picked.

Possible All Blacks squad: Ben Franks, Owen Franks, Charlie Faumuina, Tony Woodcock, Wyatt Crockett, Dane Coles, Keven Mealamu, Codie Taylor, Brodie Retallick, Sam Whitelock, Luke Romano, Kieran Read, Richie McCaw, Sam Cane, Victor Vito, Jerome Kaino, Liam Messam/Jeremy Thrush, Aaron Smith, TJ Perenara, Tawera Kerr-Barlow, Dan Carter, Beauden Barrett, Colin Slade, Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Malakai Fekitoa, Sonny Bill-Williams, Ben Smith, Julian Savea, Nehe Milner-Skudder, Waisake Naholo.

It's 2015 I don't recall South Africa winning against NZ this year
Not yet at least

I was talking about starting matches and im not sure who even started at 12 (Nonu and Conrad I remember Conrad as he was terrible) in the 2015 match but I know that Fekitoa started at 12 in the 2014 match and it was indeed a match winning performance except for Barnes stealing it from us with two 50/50 calls in the last 3 minutes. I believe with any other ref in the world we would of got atleast one of those two calls and probably scraped through to win the match. But thats just my opinion. SA played just aswell as us in that match and deserved it aswell though.

- - - Updated - - -

Stuff.co.nz tipping Naholo to be picked.

I reckon they are way off. Its going to be interesting though. Whens the naming? The facebook page seems to say 6:30pm tonight?

Last edited:
I reckon they are way off. Its going to be interesting though. Whens the naming? The facebook page seems to say 6:30pm tonight?

Yup, broadcasted from Parliament of all places, haha. Not sure what t.v channels (if any) are doing it live but I'm pretty sure Radio Sport will have it live.

If they pick guys like Jane and Naholo it's going to be interesting. Not because they're bad players who wouldn't make it. Of course not. But they're time in the ABs environment has been limited recently. I'd be concerned about Naholo picking up a bump and boom, he's out for 7 weeks. Can see that headline.

Jane I can live with because like Ryan Crotty, he's a safe option. And he's got some recent game time under his belt at least. I thought he had brilliant moments in Super rugby, and that's obviously carried through to ITM. Another one who's a bit injury prone, but he's a World Cup type player imo. Not all players are, which is what I've been trying to say about Skudder (not that a couple of members will listen or anything). Anyway, will be interesting.

Confirmed! - Naholo and NMS in - Jane and Dagg out!

SBW and Fekitoa in

Charlie Faumina in

Source - all spotted at Airport with All Blacks Barkers gear on - Jane on radio expressing disapointment and Dagg spotted Napier eating ice cream and heading fishing

- - - Updated - - -

All Blacks banking on dynamic game breakers for world cup - Congrats to Naholo, NMS and Fekitoa

SBW very lucky on form

Yup, broadcasted from Parliament of all places, haha. Not sure what t.v channels (if any) are doing it live but I'm pretty sure Radio Sport will have it live.

If they pick guys like Jane and Naholo it's going to be interesting. Not because they're bad players who wouldn't make it. Of course not. But they're time in the ABs environment has been limited recently. I'd be concerned about Naholo picking up a bump and boom, he's out for 7 weeks. Can see that headline.

Jane I can live with because like Ryan Crotty, he's a safe option. And he's got some recent game time under his belt at least. I thought he had brilliant moments in Super rugby, and that's obviously carried through to ITM. Another one who's a bit injury prone, but he's a World Cup type player imo. Not all players are, which is what I've been trying to say about Skudder (not that a couple of members will listen or anything). Anyway, will be interesting.

http://www.allblacks.com/TeamAllBlacks will have it live. You just need to have an account (it's free to do so).

- - - Updated - - -

Confirmed! - Naholo and NMS in - Jane and Dagg out!

SBW and Fekitoa in

Charlie Faumina in

Source - all spotted at Airport with All Blacks Barkers gear on - Jane on radio expressing disapointment and Dagg spotted Napier eating ice cream and heading fishing

- - - Updated - - -

All Blacks banking on dynamic game breakers for world cup - Congrats to Naholo, NMS and Fekitoa

SBW very lucky on form

If this is true:

I'm happy Dagg is out, I'm happy NMS is in. Naholo is an awesome player but it's a bloody risk. So I guess Piutau is out? unless they've made room for him, I'd have him over Naholo but if they've made room for him too alongside Naholo then I couldn't complain at all!!!

Feel sorry for Laulala, he's been much better than Charlie but not too game changing. Fekitoa and SBW were obviously in so no surprises there (even though SBW doesn't really deserve to be).

SBW makes it because we have no other centres that can appropriately replace him and he has a high tackle rate. I personally don't like him that much as a player, but he still is in the top 4 centres in the country and some what senior member of the team.

I heard those rumours as well. Naholo going is a shock, I can only imagine Shagg really rates him which is awesome. I feel sorry for Piutau if that is the case, because he played out off his skin and couldn't do anything more to gain selection given the game time he did and what he produced. I'm still really happy and confident in Naholo though, he is one of the best wingers in the world if not the best and I think he will prove that soon enough.

TKB has arrived - taking 3 HB's which is sensible. Messam also in and apparently only 3 locks for Vito to also be in which I'm glad he's there.

SBW makes it because we have no other centres that can appropriately replace him and he has a high tackle rate. I personally don't like him that much as a player, but he still is in the top 4 centres in the country and some what senior member of the team.

I heard those rumours as well. Naholo going is a shock, I can only imagine Shagg really rates him which is awesome. I feel sorry for Piutau if that is the case, because he played out off his skin and couldn't do anything more to gain selection given the game time he did and what he produced. I'm still really happy and confident in Naholo though, he is one of the best wingers in the world if not the best and I think he will prove that soon enough.

Hansen has stated to win this world cup the ALL Blacks have to score trys. Naholo was by and far the best try scoring winger in super rugby, It looks like All Blacks plan to attack this world cup. I suspect we will see a very aggressive game plan very different to the last few tests this year.

- - - Updated - - -

Naholo arriving at Wellington Airport! Charlie at airport also

11924539_908973495806030_919645338139067102_n.jpg

charlie.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

- - - Updated - - -

View attachment 3913

So Lima's most likely out if they taking three half backs? It makes sense if thats the case. Lima should really feature highly next year anyway.

Charlie annoys me a bit but he is an experienced prop so we can only hope he picks his act up a bit.

I think there will be a few opposition coaches dredding that he's selected Naholo and NMS those two in combination with Smith and Savea will be devastating as. We clearly have the best backline going around with those guys. Our only real weakpoint is flyhalf imo.

The really great thing about selecting the two young guys is if he'd selected Jane beside one of them chances are he'd of run Jane in most of the big matches over either of the young guys.

Feel a bit for Jane as he was a very good winger for us at times. Dagg not so much he'll likely be back in the team next year though.

Last edited:
My only concern with Naholo is the injury situation and a lack of versatility. But I think he does have the build and make of a World Cup player. I'm sure he could do devastating things in the WC though. We have two easy pool games where he can have a crack at game time and get that confidence back up. Don't think I'd start him right away at 14 against Argentina. Imo the Argies shouldn't beat us, but if we underestimate them by playing under cooked players it'll be a messy day at the office.

Any other airport sightings?

I hope NMS & Naholo get the nod. Both genuine game breakers and out and out finishers. We should go for the grizzly veterans up front and a mix of experience and youth in the backs.

The confirmed squad based on players landing is: (you heard it here first).

Props: Tony Woodcock, Ben Franks, Owen Franks, Wyatt Crockett, Charlie Faumuina
Hooker: Dane Coles, Keven Mealamu, Codie Taylor
Locks: Sam Whitelock, Luke Romano, Brodie Retallick.
Loose forwards: Richie McCaw, Kieran Read, Jerome Kaino, Sam Cane, Liam Messam, Victor Vito.
Halfbacks: Aaron Smith, TJ Perenara, Tawera Kerr Barlow.
First five-eighth: Dan Carter, Colin Slade, Beauden Barrett.
Midfield backs: Ma'a Nonu, Conrad Smith, Malakai Fekitoa, Sonny Bill Williams.
Outside backs: Julian Savea, Ben Smith, Waisake Naholo, Nehe Milner-Skudder.

My biggest disappointment is Lima not making it, but it's understandable, they don't want to burn TJ and Aaron out in useless pool matches. I'd have our starting team vs Argentina and then finally against Tonga - given most vital players only 50 minutes in this game. The rest of the time we can field who ever we want.

With the injury call in, Sopoanga would be obviously the first call up if Dan or Slade or Barrett goes down injured.

Sam Cane
Messam
Kerr Barlow

Have been seen boarding a plane from Hamilton to Wellington.

SBW
Fekitoa

Both have been spotted boarding planes.

Naholo is confirmed
As is NMS

Charlie has definitely made the team

Piutau looks set to miss out along with Dagg and Jane.

- - - Updated - - -

What a team though, on paper we destroy anyone.

I'm sad for Cruden and Tuipulotu, these 2 really would have topped the team off.

My biggest disappointment is Lima not making it, but it's understandable, they don't want to burn TJ and Aaron out in useless pool matches. I'd have our starting team vs Argentina and then finally against Tonga - given most vital players only 50 minutes in this game. The rest of the time we can field who ever we want.

With the injury call in, Sopoanga would be obviously the first call up if Dan or Slade or Barrett goes down injured.

Sam Cane
Messam
Kerr Barlow

Have been seen boarding a plane from Hamilton to Wellington.

SBW
Fekitoa

Both have been spotted boarding planes.

Naholo is confirmed
As is NMS

Charlie has definitely made the team

Piutau looks set to miss out along with Dagg and Jane.

- - - Updated - - -

What a team though, on paper we destroy anyone.

Lima was never going, he would have been aware of this and was brought in as he was/ is cover in case Carter, Barrett or Slade go down.

My only concern with Naholo is the injury situation and a lack of versatility. But I think he does have the build and make of a World Cup player. I'm sure he could do devastating things in the WC though. We have two easy pool games where he can have a crack at game time and get that confidence back up. Don't think I'd start him right away at 14 against Argentina. Imo the Argies shouldn't beat us, but if we underestimate them by playing under cooked players it'll be a messy day at the office.

Any other airport sightings?

Argentina would be doing very well to beat us. But with Barnes reffing that game it will make it way way closer than the test earlier in the year. Id play Naholo again but thats probably just me. NMS is a natural and I dont think he can play much better than he did against Australia. Naholo will take a couple games to get going I reckon so give him as many as possible. Out of the two I believe Naholo has more outright potential BUT I also think he requires the AB's changing their game plan slightly to allow him to be as good as he can be. Whereas NMS has an ability to break down defences from nothing. Very good selections imo as it gives us a good balance and lots of options.

Id just about put money on Piutau or Lima getting back into the team through injury.

Latest posts