• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

All Blacks final World Cup squad?

Agree ! He was unlucky not to be selected for the all blacks RWC in Australia.
Mitchell didn't like him but I think Hansen can see the big picture.

That because Mitchell was the biggest egomaniac ever to coach the AB's, he was a cock and I hope he is never involved with NZ rugby again.

I would take NMS and Piutau, if Naholo hadn't broken his leg and got a few games I would have taken him over Piutau. only based on him staying.

Piutau n Slade are going to be in the NH shortly to build chemistry with their new teams so it would be understandable if they do not make the initial 31 man squad
Not that neither doesn't deserve a spot on the squad but due to depth at their respective positions selectors may go with other options knowing that these 2will be close by if called upon

That because Mitchell was the biggest egomaniac ever to coach the AB's, he was a cock and I hope he is never involved with NZ rugby again.

I would take NMS and Piutau, if Naholo hadn't broken his leg and got a few games I would have taken him over Piutau. only based on him staying.

I don't really understand this logic and hate towards Piutau about leaving.. so many other players are leaving and have left. Kaino left ffs and walked back into the team after his holiday.

Why is Ben Franks not being considered? I would rate him as one of your best front rowers, mobile, super physical in attack and defence, super consistent for the Caines last season..

Why is Ben Franks not being considered? I would rate him as one of your best front rowers, mobile, super physical in attack and defence, super consistent for the Caines last season..

Who has said that he's not being considered?
He's probably been the form prop for NZ thus far

the squad i think will be picked.

woodcock crockett franks franks laulala
coles mealamu elliot
retallick whitelock romano
mcaw read kaino messam vito cane
smith perenara TKB
carter barrett slade
nonu smith SBW fekitoa
savea smith milne-skudder piutau

there's a chance

sopoaga makes it instead of slade - slade providing a better backup reserve option if barrett gets injured (though with piutau, perenara, and sopoaga on the reserves we'd still be able to cover all bases), but sopoaga possibly being a more convincing starting choice;

faumuina instead of laulala - faumuina being a better impacct player option, laulala a better scrummager (would you agree?);

taylor instead of elliot - vitality of youth vs wisdom of experience

anyone instead of messam - we only really need 30 players in our squad (we can make do with 3 locks and 5 loosies), so there is a place available in teh team for whoever else they might wat to take. Vito is a better lineout forward and impact player form the bench than messam so messam would probably miss out if we only had 5 loosies. This could mean we take naholo, for instance. If we did then we wouldn't need as much utility value, and since he would be ahead of piutau and milne-skudder (who played poorly under pressure for the canes) once he got fit, piutau could miss out to dagg. or maybe we'd want to bring in o0ur high ball expert corey jane. or maybe sopoaga and slade both make it.

Last edited:
I don't see any discussion about SBW. Seems he is on the confirmed list. But based on his performance at Super 15 and the past few Tests, he don't deserved to be there. But should be on evaluation list.

I don't see any discussion about SBW. Seems he is on the confirmed list. But based on his performance at Super 15 and the past few Tests, he don't deserved to be there. But should be on evaluation list.

He's lucky there's not a better contending midfielder. Crotty would be next in line, if Ngatai wasn't so injury prone and had more exposure, I'd be taking him over Money Boy. Crotty quite hasn't got enough to edge him either.

There's 10pages of a discussion and within those 10 pages SBW is mentioned quite a few times but yes you are correct
A healthy cruden definitely makes SBW look much better than he's looked without him

Because everybody knows he's going no matter what does or doesnt happen regarding his performances. He was there at the last WC and was fine for us. I dont see an issue with him.

I actually think he'll be one of a handful of players to really stand up for us at the cup. Reckon his performance against Australia was weird and I feel that he was out of sorts in that game. When have we known him not to run at the opposition from the position he kicked that horrible kick? I think his injury was played down and must of effected him more than was let on. I just dont see any other reason why he wouldnt of taken a big league style run up at the Aussies from that position he kicked that ball.

Fact is with England selecting Burgess I reckon we'd be nuts not to select him. If Nonu went out injured we'd have very little penetration in the midfield. Fekitoa has a bad tendency to run sideways and try to step every player on the field although he's been better in this years tests he just doesnt run the good angles that Conrad, Nonu and SBW have proven they can.

Its league sure but the only reason NZ were in a position to win that match in the end was because of SBW.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dA2LSl14Vp4

Last edited:
Fekitoa breaks the line a lot, are you forgetting his matching winning performance at Ellis Park? Did a hell of a lot more than what SBW has done.

Fekitoa breaks the line a lot, are you forgetting his matching winning performance at Ellis Park? Did a hell of a lot more than what SBW has done.

He's great off the bench. He has not performed any better than SBW in starting performances. Id actually argue he's been worse. SBW was outstanding against England last year and if you hadn't noticed thats where we will be playing.

He's great off the bench. He has not performed any better than SBW in starting performances. Id actually argue he's been worse. SBW was outstanding against England last year and if you hadn't noticed thats where we will be playing.

Really? Englands your bench mark?

I consider Ellis Park and Sydney bigger games, both where Fekitoa put in match winning performances, last year vs the Wallies in the 28-27 win.

Either way, Fekitoa and SBW will be the 2 centres going, so there's no point arguing about it.

Last edited:
Ok, so I know a friend who knows a man in the NZRU and apparently through the grapevine i have heard Cory Jane is in the squad and Israel Dagg is out. TBH im pretty happy with CJ being there even with limited game time. He has the experience of winning a world cup and is still a classy player. Will be useful in the do or die games.

Ok, so I know a friend who knows a man in the NZRU and apparently through the grapevine i have heard Cory Jane is in the squad and Israel Dagg is out. TBH im pretty happy with CJ being there even with limited game time. He has the experience of winning a world cup and is still a classy player. Will be useful in the do or die games.

I agree Cory Jane is an outright better selection than Dagg. His form when not injured this year was great and if he stays injury free will be very useful.

As long as Dagg doesnt get in I really dont think it matters who we select out of the rest they are all very very good.

So we find out tomorrow who's in?

I just hope Faumuina and Dagg havent managed to wriggle there way back into the team other than that I couldnt really care less as its far to late to be taking any real bolters.

Match winning performance!? Oh yeah just ANOTHER match that Barnes robbed from us.....

Latest posts