• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Another January Sale

I haven't seen him play for a number of weeks. But he is not the strongest tackling fly-half in the world. Perhaps on the same par as O'Gara, as he 'gets in the way'

Hardly!
He's more than capable in defence these, as you said he's doesn't tackle Johnny Wilkinson, but to say he's like O'Gara is an insult. He'll put his man down, I haven't seen him get door-matted since that tackle on Nonu

I haven't seen him play for a number of weeks. But he is not the strongest tackling fly-half in the world. Perhaps on the same par as O'Gara, as he 'gets in the way'

Not being funny but for all O'Garas strengths (which personally I don't think there are many as I really don't rate him) he cannot tackle to save his life! He is by far the worst tackling 10 around and when he plays he is constantly ran at and targeted as a weak link. Many people rate him but imo he is vastly overrated. He is a confidence player and when his team are playing well he tends to play well but put under pressure he doesn't perform and makes alot of mistakes. I agree with you Hodgson's tackling isn't of the quality of Wilkinson but it is certainly no where near as bad as O'Gara.

O'Gara has improved his tackling, but more often than not he 'gets in the way'. He may not have improved as much as Hodgson as many people seem to think.

He literally gets in the way. Usually goes high and tries to slow down the attacking player until reinforcements appear.

Lol, yeah I suppose you're right, got to be honest I do think hes useless. Ireland definitely need to look to the future and start Jonathan Sexton every game (which I know that they do now) because he is a genuinely classy player and is the future at 10 for Ireland.

O'Gara is about as useful in defence as a 4 year old girl. In a wheelchair.

To say that the top points scorer in the Heineken Cup and for Ireland is useless is a bit harsh. But we are moving away from the topic here; I still think it is a very strange move for Hodgson.

To say that the top points scorer in the Heineken Cup and for Ireland is useless is a bit harsh. But we are moving away from the topic here; I still think it is a very strange move for Hodgson.

Just my opinion mate, but yeah going back to the original topic, definitely a strange move, Saracens are not exactly short of options.

If Ireland had had the decency to actually produce a 10 sometime in the past decade instead of poaching the over-rated gobshite from America, he'd have no records to his name. He's "Achieved" all these things because there's literally been nobody to take his place, not because he's anywhere near the quality required.

Let's put it another way: If he were to have Kiwi, Saffie, Convict, English, Scottish, Welsh, French, Argentinian or Italian heritage - or just even stuck to his American roots - He'd have no more then a handful of caps at best (then only if he were Italian or remained American) and bugger all points to his name.

Good point, got to agree with that, his only real competition was David Humphreys. I don't think he woul dhave had a chance of getting into the Welsh team over Neil Jenkins or Stephen Jones.

If Ireland had had the decency to actually produce a 10 sometime in the past decade instead of poaching the over-rated gobshite from America, he'd have no records to his name. He's "Achieved" all these things because there's literally been nobody to take his place, not because he's anywhere near the quality required.

Let's put it another way: If he were to have Kiwi, Saffie, Convict, English, Scottish, Welsh, French, Argentinian or Italian heritage - or just even stuck to his American roots - He'd have no more then a handful of caps at best (then only if he were Italian or remained American) and bugger all points to his name.

O'Gara's mother is from Bohernasup and his father is called Fergal; so I don't think he is American. The only thing O'Gara has 'American' about him is that he was born in San Diego and may have lived there for the first few years of his life.

Also on your point of Ireland producing another good 10 during his time, we did, his name was David Humphreys. But it is actually interesting when you think about it that most nations tend to only produce one quality fly-half at a time.

Last edited:
Not being funny but for all O'Garas strengths (which personally I don't think there are many as I really don't rate him) he cannot tackle to save his life! He is by far the worst tackling 10 around and when he plays he is constantly ran at and targeted as a weak link. Many people rate him but imo he is vastly overrated. He is a confidence player and when his team are playing well he tends to play well but put under pressure he doesn't perform and makes alot of mistakes. I agree with you Hodgson's tackling isn't of the quality of Wilkinson but it is certainly no where near as bad as O'Gara.

Quade Cooper missed 46 tackles in 2010 which is than O'Gara and at the moment he is a worse tackler than O'Gara however O'Gara's tackle is very poor but his tactical kick is one of the best in the world even if thats all he does. Anyway Hodgeson is by far a better tackler than O'Gara and always will be. Like what has been said Sexton is future Ireland 10 as he tackles better is more creative and at the moment his spot kicking is just as good. O'Gara is a good impact sub but he will never be a good tackler.

Yeah I agree, not a bad player for experience to have on the bench. His tactical kicking is good but sometimes his goal kicking can be shocking when hes under pressure and having a bad game. Good experience to have on the becnh though I agree.

I think that's abit harsh. I do think he's over rated but he has been on three Lions tours and even captained them. I think at the height of his career his kicking game suited the game but now possession is more important his kicking game is less needed.

Latest posts