• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

I believe that Cheika will look to bleed some younger players throughout our international fixtures this year; players like Adam Ashley-Cooper, Drew Mitchell and Matt Giteau are eligible to play for the Wallabies but I think Cheika will use this as the primary reason to start bringing in these younger guys for the future. Both Will Genia and Sekope Kepu both headed over to France and fit the 60 test cap criteria but have indicated that their time in the green and gold is done for now.... Now with this been said, here's what I think our lineup could look like:

15. Israel Folau
14. Joe Tomane
13. Tevita Kuridrani
12. Matt Toomua
11. Rob Horne
10. Bernard Foley
9. Nick Phipps
8. David Pocock
7. Michael Hooper
6. Scott Fardy
5. Rob Simmons
4. Kane Douglas
3. Greg Holmes
2. Stephen Moore
1. Scott Sio

Bench:
16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. James Slipper
18. Tetera Faulkner
19. Will Skelton
20. Sean McMahon
21. Nic Strizaker
22. Samu Kerevi
23. Kurtly Beale

Wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Sam Carter, Adam Coleman, Ben McCalman, Liam Gill or Christian Leali'ifano crack the squad at some point.

I believe that Cheika will look to bleed some younger players throughout our international fixtures this year; players like Adam Ashley-Cooper, Drew Mitchell and Matt Giteau are eligible to play for the Wallabies but I think Cheika will use this as the primary reason to start bringing in these younger guys for the future. Both Will Genia and Sekope Kepu both headed over to France and fit the 60 test cap criteria but have indicated that their time in the green and gold is done for now.... Now with this been said, here's what I think our lineup could look like:

15. Israel Folau
14. Joe Tomane
13. Tevita Kuridrani
12. Matt Toomua
11. Rob Horne
10. Bernard Foley
9. Nick Phipps
8. David Pocock
7. Michael Hooper
6. Scott Fardy
5. Rob Simmons
4. Kane Douglas
3. Greg Holmes
2. Stephen Moore
1. Scott Sio

Bench:
16. Tatafu Polota-Nau
17. James Slipper
18. Tetera Faulkner
19. Will Skelton
20. Sean McMahon
21. Nic Strizaker
22. Samu Kerevi
23. Kurtly Beale

Wouldn't be surprised to see the likes of Sam Carter, Adam Coleman, Ben McCalman, Liam Gill or Christian Leali'ifano crack the squad at some point.

Isn't Kane Douglas still out with an ACL he suffered in the RWC final? Otherwise that is the team/ squad I expect England to face.

Isn't Kane Douglas still out with an ACL he suffered in the RWC final? Otherwise that is the team/ squad I expect England to face.

It looks like that is correct, they will be assessing his fitness through the June test window;

"He had surgery in November and is set to be sidelined for much of the Super Rugby season, although his fitness will be assessed during the June Test window and there is a chance the former Waratah may be available for the Reds' final three home-and-away matches against the Brumbies, Chiefs and Rebels."

What my current team would be based on form while being realistic on who gets picked by Eddie.

1. Mako Vunipola - I like Marler, and he's good around the field especially in defence. But Mako has really improved as a scrummager and is a big ball carrier which we'll need in oz.

2. Dylan Hartley c- Was on great form in the 6 nations, set piece was at a high level with his return. He did a remarkable job as a captain and it should be a good battle with him and Moore. The time for George dethroning him is not quite yet.

3. Dan Cole - Besides his penalty count, he was immense in the 6 nations. You can't really justify anyone else over him right now.

4. Maro Itoje - He's class.

5. George Kruis - He's class

6. Chris Robshaw - I'd rather go with Ewers here, but Eddie has indicated that he's not going to change his flankers for now. So have to go with Robshaw. He'll have a massive job of containing Pocock and Hooper.

7. James Haskell - See above... I like the idea of Sam Underhill long term. I think Haskell is a good shout to defend against Pocock, his breakdown work at stealing the ball is basically non existent, but he was good at stopping turnovers from happening. He contained both Hardie and Warburton pretty well. He'll have a huge job against Pocock and that could be the pivotal part of who wins the game/series.

8. Billy Vunipola - He's class.

9. Danny Care - Did anyone watch how bad Youngs was for Leicester the other day? I don't get how he has so many caps, never been a fan.

10. Owen Farnell - Without question the in form 10 right now.

11. Jack Nowell - Chris Ashton will push him, but there's no reason to replace Nowell atm.

12. Manu Tuilagi - He has been unstoppable at Leicester recently. I like Slade, but Tuilagi is on another level right now.

13. Elliot Daly - I think this is where Eddie will make the first surprising call. Daly is just on better form right now than Joseph. Daly was blooded in the 6 nations, so now is a good time to give Daly a shot.

14. Anthony Watson - He's class.

15. Mike Brown - Eventually Watson is going to move to 15 and replace Brown. But for now Brown has some big games left in him for England.

Bench:
16. Luke Cowan Dickie - Would be George, but I don't think Jamie will be fit enough in time for this tour.
17. Joe Marler
18. Kieran Brookes
19. Courtney Lawes
20. Sam Underhill
21. Ben Youngs (Would rather Robson)
22. Henry Slade
23. Jonathan Joseph

I think this game will be won or lost upfront for both teams. Both teams are strong in the forwards. Australia are much stronger than years past, while England are much stronger there than they were when Australia physically dominated them in the RWC.

I really hope Jones goes for someone else other than Robshaw and Haskell v Australia. Both did a job in the 6Ns, but imo will get outplayed by Wallabies' back row of Fardy, Hooper and Pocock at the breakdown.

Minimum requirement for England is to win at least 1 test v Australia and at least to force the series into a decider in the 3rd test to make it worthwhile watching.

I agree but Eddie has said that he's likely not to change it right now. I think he'll bring Underhill along slowly like he did with Itoje.

I agree but Eddie has said that he's likely not to change it right now. I think he'll bring Underhill along slowly like he did with Itoje.

Yep, there has been much discussion already on Underhill. Telegraph reporting that Aviva clubs still need to agree to his inclusion to comply with "exceptional circumstance", as he's still playing in Wales atm i.e. he needs to show/make long term commitment that he will return to play in the premiership. Personally, I think he's better off playing in the Junior RWC this summer than going to Australia or on Saxons tour to SA; he's still only 19 and has plenty of time. I think he's already turned down to play for Wales under 20 (which TRF_Oly? pointed out on here), and his mentor is Richard Hill, so good indicators he's going to choose to play for England.

If Jones does pick Robshaw and Haskell to start than we'll see how they get on in the first test. Maybe he will then change at least one of them in the second test. I'm thinking Robshaw is the most likely to give way.

For War Machine Launchbury I still think on form is our best second row plus not sure what will happen with Kruis after the biting incident. Also would like to see Itoje tried at 6.

He hasn't actually said that - that bit was added by the journo in the writeup of an interview.

He said they were very good in the 6N - the journo then inferred from that that he's unlikely to change them.

I think we might see a back row of either

6 Robshaw
7 Clifford
8 big Billy

Or

6 Itoje
7 Haskell
8 big Billy

You need to separate Haskell and Robshaw. Think Jones will look to do that.

Watched Glos vs Tigers and was quite amazed when Tuilagi was catching up with Hook after the Glos break, he can really motor for someone that large. Also his all round game seems much better, he looks for space rather than trying to crash over players, has a strong hand off, is offloading well and actually passes! All he needs now is any sort of kicking game and it will be very hard not to justify having him in the England squad again. Billy V for tight carrying and Manu out wider could be nasty for defences.

Watched Glos vs Tigers and was quite amazed when Tuilagi was catching up with Hook after the Glos break, he can really motor for someone that large.

In fairness, you'd never mistake Hook for a greyhound. There's a great YouTube clip of Matt Mullan in Wuss days catching him as he went for the corner.

But you're right, pace is just one of a few aspects of his game that seem to have improved. No question that he'll be straight back in the starting XV down under.

Team's

I reckon he will take 64 men squad.
32 senior squad & 32 Saxon squad
Think it will be something like this
Senior squad
1) Marler, Mako, Mullan
2) Hartley, LCD, Taylor: reckon George & tom young’s will both still be injured
3) Cole, Brookes, Hill
4) Itoje, Launchbury
5) Kruis, Lawes
6) Robshaw, Ewers
7) Haskell, Kvesic: beamount replacement
8) Billy, Clifford
9) Young’s, Care
10) Farrell, Ford
11) Nowell, Ashton
12) Manu, Slade
13) JJ, Daly
14) Watson
15) Brown, Goode

First Test
1) Marler
2) Hartley: captain
3) Cole
4) Itoje
5) Kruis
6) Robshaw
7) Haskell
8) Billy
9) Young’s
10) Farrell
11) Nowell
12) Manu
13) JJ
14) Watson
15) Brown
16) Mako
17) LCD
18) Brookes
19) Launchbury
20) Clifford
21) Care
22) Ford
23) Daly
He will trust the grand slamming team and grow from there but I can defiantly see changes in the back row as pocock & co could really dominate but after the first test.
Saxon squad
1) Auterac, Waller, Harrison
2) Haywood, Yeandle, Mcguigan or if he wants to play for Ireland than Thacker
3) Thomas, Cooper-Wooley, Sinckler
4) Barrow, Synmons
5) Attwood, Kitchener
6) Salter, Gibson
7) Fraser, Wallace
8) Morgan, Harrison
9) Simpson, Robson
10) Cipriani, Burns
11) Yarde
12) Hill, Devoto
13) Burrell, James
14) Rokoduguni, Wade
15) Hammersley, Haley: AS it’s a saxon tour give youth a chance that’s why I wouldn’t take Pennell. Harsh on him

Team
1) Waller
2) Haywood
3) Thomas
4) Kitchener
5) Attwood
6) Salter: Captain
7) Fraser
8) Morgan
9) Simpson
10) Cipriani
11) Yarde
12) Devoto
13) James
14) Rokoduguni
15) Haley
16) Harrison
17) Yeandle
18) Cooper-Wooley
19) Synmons
20) Harrison
21) Robson
22) Burns
23) Wade
That’s it !!! Thoughts :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I don't think Tualagi needs a kicking game to get back into the England squad, the way he's playing at the moment.

He used to drop the ball on his foot previously, but that was just to get past tacklers, not try to be creative for other players. His type of play is very similar to Binny's and he was very good at it. Ask the All Blacks.

If you want someone to make holes in the oppositions defensive line or stop an attacker in his tracks then Manu's your man.

- - - Updated - - -

I reckon he will take 64 men squad.
32 senior squad & 32 Saxon squad
Think it will be something like this
Senior squad
1) Marler, Mako, Mullan
2) Hartley, LCD, Taylor: reckon George & tom young's will both still be injured
3) Cole, Brookes, Hill
4) Itoje, Launchbury
5) Kruis, Lawes
6) Robshaw, Ewers
7) Haskell, Kvesic: beamount replacement
8) Billy, Clifford
9) Young's, Care
10) Farrell, Ford
11) Nowell, Ashton
12) Manu, Slade
13) JJ, Daly
14) Watson
15) Brown, Goode

First Test
1) Marler
2) Hartley: captain
3) Cole
4) Itoje
5) Kruis
6) Robshaw
7) Haskell
8) Billy
9) Young's
10) Farrell
11) Nowell
12) Manu
13) JJ
14) Watson
15) Brown
16) Mako
17) LCD
18) Brookes
19) Launchbury
20) Clifford
21) Care
22) Ford
23) Daly
He will trust the grand slamming team and grow from there but I can defiantly see changes in the back row as pocock & co could really dominate but after the first test.
Saxon squad
1) Auterac, Waller, Harrison
2) Haywood, Yeandle, Mcguigan or if he wants to play for Ireland than Thacker
3) Thomas, Cooper-Wooley, Sinckler
4) Barrow, Synmons
5) Attwood, Kitchener
6) Salter, Gibson
7) Fraser, Wallace
8) Morgan, Harrison
9) Simpson, Robson
10) Cipriani, Burns
11) Yarde
12) Hill, Devoto
13) Burrell, James
14) Rokoduguni, Wade
15) Hammersley, Haley: AS it's a saxon tour give youth a chance that's why I wouldn't take Pennell. Harsh on him

Team
1) Waller
2) Haywood
3) Thomas
4) Kitchener
5) Attwood
6) Salter: Captain
7) Fraser
8) Morgan
9) Simpson
10) Cipriani
11) Yarde
12) Devoto
13) James
14) Rokoduguni
15) Haley
16) Harrison
17) Yeandle
18) Cooper-Wooley
19) Synmons
20) Harrison
21) Robson
22) Burns
23) Wade
That's it !!! Thoughts :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Sam Underhill??

Think Underhill could make either squad but i haven't put him in because the clubs still need to agree to allow him in. Think He needs to sign / pre sign with a club first. most likely Bath

Good shout thou

I can't disagree with those squads too much. My inlt bug change would be Robson on the main tour & give Youngs (particularly) a rest this summer.

In fact I would use this tour as a bit of an excuse to rest a few players in key positions.

Included in my list would be:

Cole (desperate to see how destructive Brookes can be from the start)
Robshaw (chance to give Clifford a run of games)
Youngs (as mentioned previously)
Brown (read Youngs comment)

Latest posts