• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs England - 3 Tests - June 2016

It isn't just the fact of being a high tackle, but that it was a dangerous tackle.

His mitigation is that Robson lost control of the ball and in his effort to try and regain control of the dropping ball he ducked down straight into a flying tackle from Farrell that caused a clash of heads.

I thought the yellow card was harsh so hopefully for him the citing commission will be sensible.

I also hope both players are OK after what was a nasty accident.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d5p8kXdNVL0

Last edited:
Interesting ive just heard that Dan Cole has said he's now a stone and a half heavier than at the world cup and feels much better for it.

Boy did the coaching team get the whole conditioning thing wrong for that world cup!

They did. Totally.

But I'd also be interested to know how much the players kicked back against it at the time. They all know their fighting weights and their own bodies and I'd like to think this caused some serious ructions behind closed doors. If not, it's also pretty damning of the leadership within the squad.

True, but he did still lead with the shoulder. Yellow card was fair in my opinion, agree that it shouldn't have been cited.

I don't think so . His right arm comes around as he makes the hit . His technique was really bad that's why he hurt himself but the fact Robson dropped the ball meant he ended up hitting higher up than he was aiming for

I think a yellow was about right. If Robson hadn't dipped down, it looks like the tackle would have hit his upper chest and could possibly have deflected upwards into his chin. It was going to be a bad tackle either way and Robson dipping actually may have helped Farrell by giving him some excuse for the hit.

I don't think so . His right arm comes around as he makes the hit . His technique was really bad that's why he hurt himself but the fact Robson dropped the ball meant he ended up hitting higher up than he was aiming for

I dunno, right arm looked like it was coming around too late to me. I guess you could argue that Robson falling forward as well as down messed up the timing, but he did hit with the shoulder.

To be honest it's hard to say because we're dealing with hypotheticals - i.e. what if Robson hadn't gone down

Not totally convinced of Hatley's credentials but happy that Jones has a coach that will bring a different perspective.

Yeah, I'm not sure how to feel.
Bath had a great scrum up until this year (coinciding, as was mentioned in another thread, with Wilson's injury and Henry Thomas becoming first choice) - Hatley also discovered/nurtured Corbisiero in his time as one of the best looseheads in the game.
Hopefully the change of scenery/set up will get him back to his coaching best.

Also, on a side note, I've just seen that Rowntree is heading to Quins. Good to see him still in the business.

Yeah, I'm not sure how to feel.
Bath had a great scrum up until this year (coinciding, as was mentioned in another thread, with Wilson's injury and Henry Thomas becoming first choice) - Hatley also discovered/nurtured Corbisiero in his time as one of the best looseheads in the game.
Hopefully the change of scenery/set up will get him back to his coaching best.

Also, on a side note, I've just seen that Rowntree is heading to Quins. Good to see him still in the business.

We're probably hiding him until he's old enough that he's not worth stealing for other clubs. You'll see him again in about eight years.

In all seriousness though, I've no idea. 14 appearances in the Aviva last year, signed a 3 year contract in October 2015, but has only played 35 minutes this season. Can't find anything else on him.

Michael Lynagh's Wallabies 15 to face England, picked on sky sports last week:

1. Sio
2. Moore
3. Holmes
4. Fardy
5. Skelton
6. McMahon
7. Hooper
8. Pocock

9. Phipps
10. Foley
12. Toomua
13. Kurindrani
14. Beale
15. Folau.

Can't see that back 5 in the pack starting, especially with Skelton not being a jumping option. And 3 7s in the back row?

Yeh i would say let him have a full preseason off to think and focus on Quins, then start with a clean slate for the AI's.

How many rugby players have popped off to psychologists recently?

Marler, Clark (I'm a big demon monkey, or something, was the headline), Hartley(?). Not convinced they don't just need to get a grip tbh.

How hard is it to not kick someone in the head?

You know pretty much every sports team at an elite professional level will have either their own in-house or consultant sports psychologist?

It only makes the news when it can be made into a story.

You know pretty much every sports team at an elite professional level will have either their own in-house or consultant sports psychologist?

This.

Pretty every elite high pressure job Sports and Business will have a psychologist of some kind.

This.

Pretty every elite high pressure job Sports and Business will have a psychologist of some kind.

Do they work actively with the players in a therapy type role? (I assume, Marler, Clark, et al, are lying on couches or whatever)

I was aware of sports psychologists, though I thought they'd have more of an either marginal gains, or team wide, role.

You can't have someone conducting psychology on a group - it has to be based on individual relationships.

I'd imagine they are there for any player who wants it, or for players who the coaches want it for.

The news is more that Marler is openly admitting he has a problem with aggression/hot-headedness on the field that he needs to work on.

Latest posts