• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Australia vs South Africa

Two years ago when Genia came onto the scene he was shithouse, now he's my fave halfback.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (William18 @ Sep 6 2009, 03:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought the Reds fans were just being biased but Genia is actually really good. It was good to see Australia have a positive game plan and they had South Africa rattled.[/b]

Funny how this year there is 3 starting Queensland Reds players now, all very good players for Australia (4 if Digby was available). Yet Queensland are shite at super 14.

Australia have found them selves the next Georgie Gregan its good for them and good for the game

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (TRUE LEGND @ Sep 5 2009, 08:24 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Prestwick @ Sep 6 2009, 04:03 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Nice to see some tries for once in a SH game...holy crap, I never thought I'd ever, ever say that![/b]

There goes another 1 eyed NH poster trying to get a war going again :bravo:
[/b][/quote]

49dec12-i-once-caught-a-fish-this-big.jpg

+1 fish for Prestwick. Took long enough.

Yes, Barnes is a twit who can't ref the ruck or the rolling maul for ****. However that had no bearing on the result. Well done to the Aussies. I remember thinking to myself around the 15 min mark that it'll take a monumental effort from them to keep that intensity up, and they did. BTW how's the Boks defence on their own tryline? Amazing. 3 dead certain tries were stopped.

It seemed the best way to defeat the boks is to put them under pressure early and they fold, so I guess that it come down to wether or not the All Blacks can dominate the Springboks like Australia did, while also comming away with a simular win against Australia. Certainly not the easiest challenge.

It was funny because some S.A posters thought S.A already had the TN in the bag

Well to be fair, SA only really need a bonas point against NZ, and they will have pretty much won, unless NZ thrash Australia and SA, which I can't see happening. I mean good luck New Zealand, and if we do win it I don't think we will have taken our position in rugby for granted as we have in previous years, but I just can't see us winning to that extent.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Steve-o @ Sep 6 2009, 05:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Yes, Barnes is a twit who can't ref the ruck or the rolling maul for ****. However that had no bearing on the result. Well done to the Aussies. I remember thinking to myself around the 15 min mark that it'll take a monumental effort from them to keep that intensity up, and they did. BTW how's the Boks defence on their own tryline? Amazing. 3 dead certain tries were stopped.[/b]

Both teams defense was huge in this game.

I'm always amazed how South Africa win every single lineout, the Aussies pretty much give up trying to steal it. Their mauls always gained metres. While Australia's lineouts are average and couldn't drive a metre with rolling mauls off the lineout. Something Australia seriously need to work on.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Sep 6 2009, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Barnes is a useless ****. I don't understand how he is allowed to ref international games..[/b]

I guess you know how it feels now!!!

Kiwi rugby fans have been saying this since October 6, 2007

IMO, Barnes is not up to the mark. I have been just as critical of him when he has disadvantaged All Blacks opponents, case in point being v Scotland last season. The Scottish tighthead prop Euan Murray was all over the All Blacks prop Jamie McIntosh, but Wayne Barnes mismanaged the scrums so badly, that McIntosh was effectively protected from him. You could see the pure frustration on Murray's face. He was getting on top, but Barnes kept doing what he usually does, evening up the contest.

The problem is that the iRB and Paddy O'Brien made a huge cock-up in appointing such an inexperienced referee to a major match, who then proceeded to bottle it when the pressure came on. You take a look at referee appointments for the FIFA World Cup. Referees from the "Round of 16" onwards have all got 50 matches minimum to their name, most of them being at least up in the 70's. Barnes had just 12, and most of those were minnow teams matches. Prior to RWC2007, he had just two matches involving top three teams, and a further two involving top eight. He has twice been dropped from the international panel since then, including once for lack of fitness, and he still cannot cut the pace of the game at international level.

Unfortunately, the iRB, while they may realise their mistake, will never admit it. They have so much invested in this guy, they cannot back out now without a huge loss of face. They just have to hope he'll come right. So far, he has failed them. I have yet to see a performance from him that gives me any confidence in this ability to improve.

This is unlike other referees such as George Clancy (Ireland), Peter Fitzgibbon (Ireland), Vinnie Munro (New Zealand) and Dave Pearson (England) who look better every time I see them, Barnes appears to be going backwards.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Sep 6 2009, 10:16 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Jethro @ Sep 6 2009, 08:36 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Australia deserved their win, but can Barnes never ever Ref another southern hemipshere team. Going into rucks on your feet is allowed, joining on the side is a penatly, read the f**cking rules Barnes.[/b]
Hmmm. Ask Smartcookie about that.[/b][/quote]

shtove is right. On your feet is good, in at the side is bad.

Has anyone mentioned Habana yet? Because he was phenomenal. That try saving tackle was amazing, especially when you watch it at full speed and see how far he ran to get there! Also, his chasing was exemplary.

The last 18 months Habana has been anonymous, but with his last 2 tests I think he's really re-ignited. He really was superb, in the first Oz test especially. :)

habana has been adding extra dimensions to his game which is great. a couple of years ago he had awesome speed and was a great finisher, now he's more of a complete player.... however his dropgoal attempt the other night was laughable.

I don't know how legitimate it was after taking in some of the criticism of the referee, but Ben Robinson absolutely bossed John Smit in the scrum.

The Springboks haven't beaten us in Brisbane for 40 years. They haven't even scored a try in their last four encounters here. Keep sending Wallaby games this way.

john smit has looked average all year. no offence to him or the springbok fans, he was a fantastic player but i think his time is up and i'm glad that robinson exposed him. he seemed like a much better player at hooker but everytime i see him now he looks fat, unfit and struggling to keep up with the game

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Sep 6 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Sep 6 2009, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Barnes is a useless ****. I don't understand how he is allowed to ref international games..[/b]

[/b][/quote]

And Kiwi fans always seem to forget about the forward pass that put McAlistair in at the end of the 1st half. Funny that.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Teh Mite @ Sep 7 2009, 07:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (smartcooky @ Sep 6 2009, 09:38 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (KZNSharksFan @ Sep 6 2009, 02:18 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

And Kiwi fans always seem to forget about the forward pass that put McAlistair in at the end of the 1st half. Funny that.
[/b][/quote]

Actually, teh mite, I don't have a real issue with the forward pass. Yes it was forward, but Barnes was not in position to judge it well, and was badly let down by his TJ's, particularly Kaplan, who had a better view.

I have an issue with the idiots who put a grossly inexperienced ref in charge of a major match. Barnes totally bottled it in the second half. He was like a possum in the headlights, totally overawed by what was happning, and he folded under the pressure. He allowed the French to cheat the offside line with absolute impunity. Not a single penalty against them in the second 40, not even a single advantage call.

And how has Mr Barnes record looked since then.

► No referee appointments to any 6N matches in 2008, only getting called in for Ireland v Wales when Steve Walsh was injured

► One Autumn Internationals appointment; NZ v Scotland

► Two failed performance assessments, one for poor form, one for poor fitness, and got dispatched to South Africa for remedial training under Andre Watson's guidance.

► One Tri-nations appointment Australia v South Africa

Three tests in three years, where most other referees have had a half dozen at least (Rolland 9, Joubert 8, Mark Lawrence 9. Kaplan 8, etc). This speaks volumes for the iRB's lack of confidence in him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (cyRil of Ospreylia @ Sep 7 2009, 10:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
The last 18 months Habana has been anonymous, but with his last 2 tests I think he's really re-ignited. He really was superb, in the first Oz test especially. :)[/b]
Disagree. His attitude has been superb all along, plays with real aggression for his country without being a thug. And he's doing it in a team that thinks he's there just to chase high balls and run on to set piece passes.

Latest posts