English Arrogance
Staff member
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
GVchr9H.png

15 Mike Haley, 14 Denny Solomona, 13 Sam James, 12 Mark Jennings,11 Byron McGuigan, 10 AJ MacGinty, 9 Faf de Klerk, 1 Ross Harrison, 2 Rob Webber, 3 Alex Tarus, 4 Bryn Evans, 5 Josh Beaumont, 6 Jono Ross (Captain), 7 Ben Curry, 8 Josh Strauss

Replacements: 16 Marc Jones, 17 James Flynn,18 Halani Aulika, 19 Andre Ostrikov, 20 Tom Curry,21 Cameron Neild,22 Will Cliff, 23 James O'Connor

JOC makes his debut, Jono Ross captains over Beaumont
Addison out with a broken jaw, looks like the Neild-back-to-hooker experiment has been nipped ion the bud
Very happy to see McGuigan back, though I think I'd have started him at 15. Haley not been playing too well and some genuine competition might see him raise his game, and Charnley has looked better this season.

We're on the road so this almost certainly guarantees a below-par performance........

The trouble is, we're in this position, precisely because players are being payed more than their "market value".

Leicester Tigers (v Exeter Chiefs, Welford Road, Saturday 3.00pm)

15 Telusa Veainu
14 Nick Malouf
13 Matt Smith
12 Matt Toomua
11 Jonny May
10 George Ford
9 Ben Youngs

1 Ellis Genge
2 Tom Youngs (c)
3 Dan Cole
4 Harry Wells
5 Dom Barrow
6 Mike Williams
7 Luke Hamilton
8 Sione Kalamafoni

Replacements

16 George McGuigan
17 Greg Bateman
18 Logovi'i Mulipola
19 Valentino Mapapalangi
20 Brendon O'Connor
21 Sam Harrison
22 Joe Ford
23 Mathew Tait

Very strong 23. Happy with that. Might even contend with Chiefs physicality. Line out will be crucial. Hopefully Scrum is refereed well.

I'm no economist so happy to be corrected but I'd interpret market value as being what people will pay for something. So if rugby clubs are commonly paying that much for players of a certain quality, then by definition that is the market value of players of that quality.

What happened to brits wasnt he meamt to play? Had him in my fantasy team

Just to be clear, I'm not going to comment on last night's result. I'm going to pretend it never happened.

What I mean by "market value" is probably what Mole is suggesting I mean... the "market" being: the business of rugby.

Massive external investment and inflation of player wages is not supported by the "market".

The rationale of players saying they are worth more money is correct, but only when what they do generates the revenue from which they can profit.
At the moment, the overall increase in average salary is due to increased investment into player salaries, not because of massive increases in revenue in the "market".

If some lunatic started paying £10 for a can of coke, does that make a coke worth £10??
Technically, yes, if you consider market value to simply be a definition of the highest price someone is willing to pay for something. But that is skewed massively IMO.

What happened to brits wasnt he meamt to play? Had him in my fantasy team

I'm glad you say that, I thought I was losing the plot - I put him in yesterday afternoon, logged in last night to see how I got on and he was listed and not playing.

I'm glad you say that, I thought I was losing the plot - I put him in yesterday afternoon, logged in last night to see how I got on and he was listed and not playing.
Yep with koch as captain and brits not playing i got 6 points from the 2 of them lol knocked me to 4th in the TRF league

What I mean by "market value" is probably what Mole is suggesting I mean... the "market" being: the business of rugby.

Massive external investment and inflation of player wages is not supported by the "market".

The rationale of players saying they are worth more money is correct, but only when what they do generates the revenue from which they can profit.
At the moment, the overall increase in average salary is due to increased investment into player salaries, not because of massive increases in revenue in the "market".

If some lunatic started paying £10 for a can of coke, does that make a coke worth £10??
Technically, yes, if you consider market value to simply be a definition of the highest price someone is willing to pay for something. But that is skewed massively IMO.

Gotcha. Can't disagree with that too much.

Surely part of the point of the salary cap is to make you chose between fewer very expensive players and more decent players - and face the consequences of your choice either way.

Blowing your wad on a couple of Kurtley Beales then moaning that you don't have enough Kurtley Beales is just ... I was going to call it naïve or stupid but it's not, it's a calculated move in the political cause of getting the salary cap abolished.

DOR's complaining that they can't keep an amazing squad... well, yes... that's the whole point of the salary cap - keep the league competitive.

Latest posts