• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership 2017/18 round 13

Havnt seen the chiefs gamr or highlights but what happened? When i had seen the team we had put out i dod think it abit weaker,

Williams nowell and lcd all injured but also rested armand, skinner, jonny hill. Slade benched.

We didnt give falcons enough respect looking at the team. Missinh 6 players who have been playing well.

I don't think it's a question of not giving Newcastle enough respect. Newcastle got through a mountain of tackling and didn't make many errors. Conversely Exeter coughed up a couple of turnover tries. To me that says RB fielded a side perfectly capable of competing - it just wasn't to be on the day. Exe have to rest players at some point. You can argue they wouldn't have been rested that particular day if it was Sarries or Wasps rather than Falcons, but for me that was a game Exeter could afford to roll the dice on - they're still top of the table.

I don't think there's any danger of exeter not getting a home semi, so I agree it was a game they could roll the dice on.
For me there's a pretty big gap right now between the top 3 teams - Exeter, Saracens and Wasps - and everyone else.

With the injuries we have right now as well I very much doubt we can challenge for a home semi, however I believe Sarracens and Exeter would rather avoid us in a semi regardless so I can imagine the final placing becoming quite important.

I don't think there's any danger of exeter not getting a home semi, so I agree it was a game they could roll the dice on.
For me there's a pretty big gap right now between the top 3 teams - Exeter, Saracens and Wasps - and everyone else.

With the injuries we have right now as well I very much doubt we can challenge for a home semi, however I believe Sarracens and Exeter would rather avoid us in a semi regardless so I can imagine the final placing becoming quite important.

For me, its just Exeter and Sarries who are streets ahead. Wasps are next but definitely some way behind the other two. Then its a free-for-all all the way to 9th. Then Saints. Then the relegation scrappers +Bristol.

For me it's just Exeter who are way ahead, Sarries and Wasps have been much too inconsistent this season to be considered a large gap ahead of the chasing pack. Ahead, yes; but not with clear water.
Bath look pretty comfortable in the top 4 as far as squad strength on paper is concerned, but are even more inconsistent, and still trying to work out how to use their talent.
Gloucester, Leicester Sale, Newcastle and Quins all have areas of weakness in their squads which they're capable of overcoming, but handicap them in my analysis here (AKA, an "on paper" analysis)
Saints are in disarray, and whilst Wuss are capable of having their day, they need a lot to go right for that to happen. LIrish need their opponent to have a bad day at the office to grab any wins.

So in short, I think there's 1 team standing alone at the top, and 1 team sitting alone at the bottom, with not much to choose between the other 10 beyond issues of balance across the squads, with coaching, team-ethic and game-plan making the differences in that pack.

ETA, and long may this competitiveness and unpredictability continue, I love it (albeit I'd prefer all teams to be consistently playing well whilst being unpredictable, but I'm not sure that's possible across so many teams and so many matches)

Last edited:
I don't think it's a question of not giving Newcastle enough respect. Newcastle got through a mountain of tackling and didn't make many errors. Conversely Exeter coughed up a couple of turnover tries. To me that says RB fielded a side perfectly capable of competing - it just wasn't to be on the day. Exe have to rest players at some point. You can argue they wouldn't have been rested that particular day if it was Sarries or Wasps rather than Falcons, but for me that was a game Exeter could afford to roll the dice on - they're still top of the table.

Whilst i agree in terms of prem games its a good one to roll the dice, when we have 2 europe which will be tough but then 2 AW cup games where we can rest the players that havnt had a rest.

I would have liked to see armand in there somewhere, when he is there we play better, our focus needs to be the prem and topping the prem table this season.

Although we are consistant we are not competing at the top level europe yet. Win the prem games, push for europe and use young lads for AW to gain experience.

We could have still been 10 points clear, pushed hard in europe on must win games and then given players like armand woodburn skinner jhill simmonds a 2 week rest to be fresh for prem again. And internations a rest before 6n if they havnt already gone to training for it

Marler and Joanne* both cited:
https://www.premiershiprugby.com/2017-2018/marler-ioane-face-independent-disciplinary-panel/
He (Marler) was sent off for striking with the shoulder and making contact with Sale Sharks' TJ Ioane, contrary to law 9.12, in the 58th minute.

Ioane is charged with striking Harlequin's Joe Marler with the arm, contrary to law 9.12. The incident occurred in the 53rd minute of the same match.

*Yes, I've spotted the autocorrect error this time, but I love it, so am leaving it there

For me the only given is that Exeter are some way in front.

I don't know that inconsistency is Wasps' problem. We had a patch in the early season where we didn't seem to have comprehended the significance of the new laws and how that would affect the game. At that point, London irish could have beaten us. Once we moved on from that patch we've been pretty consistent, taking something like 29 points out of a possible 30 until yesterday in the premiership and looking hard to beat. I'd also add that with our current injuries we are significantly weakened.

The reason I'd group us in that top little tier is that I think we have a game that can unlock even the best teams playing pretty well. I don't believe bath or Gloucester played badly against us but executed well we are difficult to stop. In knock out rugby I don't currently think that Bath, Gloucester or Newcastle could bring enough to upset Exeter or Sarracens, whereas I think we could.

Our issue is adapting when 'wide and fast' rugby isn't working.

Have they put the Desso in yet?

I don't wear glasses/contacts, but surely there must be some danger to Mako's eyesight wearing them?
He seems to have to replace them every game at least once... is there no chance of scratching his eye?
Kit Kat call?

Latest posts