• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Aviva Premiership Final - Tigers vs Saints

And the best way to stop the sport being like that is to penalize punches far more severely than swearing at the ref.

You fail to understand the spirit of the game.

Ask yourself why you can merely be penalised for committing a shoulder charge or a high tackle, but can be yellow carded for deliberately knocking the ball on or committing a non-violent act of cynical foul play when defending your own line.

When you fully understand how that can be, when you will have gone some way towards understanding the true meaning of these words...

[TEXTAREA]RESPECT
Respect for team mates, opponents, match officials and those involved in the Game is paramount.[/textarea]

[TEXTAREA]Rugby has fully embraced the professional era, but has retained the ethos and traditions of the recreational Game. In an age in which many traditional sporting qualities are being diluted or even challenged, Rugby is rightly proud of its ability to retain high standards of sportsmanship, ethical behaviour and fair play. It is hoped that this Charter will help reinforce those cherished values.[/TEXTAREA]

You can find these words in the front of every edition of the Laws of the Game under the Playing Charter

These aren't just words. They are the core of Rugby Union.

If you don't agree with these words, then you belong in another sport, perhaps one played with a round ball.

Last edited:
I'd prefer my future child get into a scrap on the school play-ground than swear at a teacher. Getting into scraps, especially during a physical game of rugby or similar happens. Being abusive to a person of authority is rarely justifiable and imo shows nothing but a complete lack of respect and is a loutish thing to do.

Kids especially teenage boys get Into scraps it's just a part of growing up

Kids especially teenage boys get Into scraps it's just a part of growing up

Kinda my point. Rugby players are going to get into scraps now and again as well, it's the nature of the physical sport. Being abusive towards a referee really isn't part of the sport, neither is being abusive towards a teacher/authority figure part of growing up. Hopefully the comparison makes sense :)

You fail to understand the spirit of the game.

Ask yourself why you can merely be penalised for committing a shoulder charge or a high tackle, but can be yellow carded for deliberately knocking the ball on or committing a non-violent act of cynical foul play when defending your own line.

When you fully understand how that can be, when you will have gone some way towards understanding the true meaning of these words...

[TEXTAREA]RESPECT
Respect for team mates, opponents, match officials and those involved in the Game is paramount.[/TEXTAREA]

[TEXTAREA]Rugby has fully embraced the professional era, but has retained the ethos and traditions of the recreational Game. In an age in which many traditional sporting qualities are being diluted or even challenged, Rugby is rightly proud of its ability to retain high standards of sportsmanship, ethical behaviour and fair play. It is hoped that this Charter will help reinforce those cherished values.[/TEXTAREA]

You can find these words in the front of every edition of the Laws of the Game under the Playing Charter

These aren't just words. They are the core of Rugby Union.

If you don't agree with these words, then you belong in another sport, perhaps one played with a round ball.
Sums the incident and rugby up for me! This post should remain apparent for all to refer to when making ill informed comments about incidents, payers, officials or even the game we all love!

Just saw this (the Hartley incident), and I totally agree with Barnes, and many people here who defended the red card. When I first started watching rugby I remember how respectful the players were to the referee, and if anyone dared to talk back they risked getting ousted. I used to tell people that one thing I loved about the game is the respect the players had for the referee, and how he was actually the most powerful 'player' on the pitch in that he had complete control over all thirty men. But in recent years I've seen more players back talking the ref, and some seem to be getting away with it. It's not good, and it takes something away from the game.

das

Excellent article here on the Dylan Hartley incident by Matt Razier on rugbyrefs.com

[TEXTAREA]"Respect is the basis of rugby; it is the reason why it works as a sport. Without respect, 100+ kilogram, 6+ feet tall men/women could never be trusted to charge around a field, often in to each other, for the purposes of entertainment. Therefore the act of showing disrespect must be stamped out at the early stages, which is partly what this decision has helped to initiate."[/TEXTAREA]
[TEXTAREA]
"As a result of all of this match officials in the UK and around the world can rest assured that the core values of the game remain firmly in tact and should be upheld at all times. They can be confident that their home unions have their integrity and reputation in mind and as soon as miscreants attempt to cross the boundaries they will be firmly dealt with to ensure that the sport we love does not disintegrate into something we despise! Well done Wayne Barnes and well done RFU, there is a reason why we love rugby and we must do everything we can to protect it!"[/TEXTAREA]

Full article here ; http://www.rugbyrefs.com/content.php?323-The-word-CHEAT-rekindles-the-core-values-of-Rugby

Excellent article here on the Dylan Hartley incident by Matt Razier on rugbyrefs.com

[TEXTAREA]"Respect is the basis of rugby; it is the reason why it works as a sport. Without respect, 100+ kilogram, 6+ feet tall men/women could never be trusted to charge around a field, often in to each other, for the purposes of entertainment. Therefore the act of showing disrespect must be stamped out at the early stages, which is partly what this decision has helped to initiate."[/TEXTAREA]
[TEXTAREA]
"As a result of all of this match officials in the UK and around the world can rest assured that the core values of the game remain firmly in tact and should be upheld at all times. They can be confident that their home unions have their integrity and reputation in mind and as soon as miscreants attempt to cross the boundaries they will be firmly dealt with to ensure that the sport we love does not disintegrate into something we despise! Well done Wayne Barnes and well done RFU, there is a reason why we love rugby and we must do everything we can to protect it!"[/TEXTAREA]

Full article here ; http://www.rugbyrefs.com/content.php?323-The-word-CHEAT-rekindles-the-core-values-of-Rugby

Excellent comments there - I will have to read the rest of the article as soon as I get a free moment. I totally agree with what is being said in those clips you posted. I've always felt that respect was a key element in the game. It starts with players respecting the referee, then respecting each other, then respecting the fans, and - in turn - the fans respecting the players. I remember when I first started watching the referees often referred to the players as 'gentlemen', especially when setting the scrum. You don't hear that as much now, but I think it helped to remind the players that they weren't hooligans, and that just as the ref respectfully addressed them, they needed to show the same respect in turn.

Would like to say more but I am super tired. I think Friday night/Sat morn has finally caught up with me. :p

das

Looks like Cockers is out until November with a 9 match ban....which is fair enough, as he really did lose it and acted in a manner that deserved action. No complaints here

It's a fair and maybe slightly lenient punishment but when Hartley was rightly made an example of then this case had to follow

What exactly dose Cockril banned meran? He can't coach them or he can't be on the sideline which extrem is it?

Sideline,
As far as I'm aware it means he's not allowed at Welford road, in a staff capacity, at any point of matchdays.
Expect to see him in the stands as a "fan" though.

Sent from my GT-I9305 using Tapatalk 2

Surprising if not...surprising, if you catch my drift :lol:
Not surprised that the players ain't happy with the Cock, but a little to see them (or at least one, who is leaving) actually coming out and saying it.

@fcshirtsI don't think Hartley was swearing at Barnes, with regards to the scrum penalty - as others have pointed out, it doesn't make much sense to call Barnes a cheat. Blind, maybe, or biased, but a cheat seems a bit odd. That being said, he was warned about swearing, so I think a yellow would be warranted for that. Obviously Barnes thought he was swearing at him, so you can't blame him for issuing the red card.

Latest posts