• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Best RWC try

W

whataflanker

My top five tries:

1. Kirwan vs Italy 1987 - does everyone, great running rugby

2. Serge Blanco vs Australia 1987 - great passing by the French, switching sides, Blanco holds off Lawton to just score in the corner

3. Tim Horan vs All Blacks 1991 - Lynagh chips forward, Campese weaves left and right, throws blind pass over shoulder for Horan to score. Awesome

4. Lomu vs England 1999 - Power and pace. I think better than 1995 because England knew what he was all about and still couldn't stop him, though maybe people disagree?

5. Campese vs All Blacks 1991 - More great running - not easy to fool two AB defenders and make it looks so easy

Other opinions? I'm missing out loads...

Welcome to TRF whataflanker, and excellent post to start things off.

Can`t get better than Blanco`s effort in the 87 semi-final for my money, though the others mentioned were pretty good too.

A couple of others that also stood out for me:

- Joe Roko in 2003 vs. SA, QF: audatious pass between the legs by King Carlos to set it up.
- Tim Horan vs. NZ, 91 SF: this time Campo producing the mesmerising run, and no-look pass.
- Pieter Hendriks vs. Aus, 95 opening game- taking on, and beaing, Campo on the outside.

Fiji's (Caucaunibuca) try v France in 2003 was pretty good!
[/b]

ah yes, i've put it as my signature actually. unbelievable gas

went to the HK sevens this year, and watching ryder for Fiji was quite similar - serious speed!

Welcome to TRF whataflanker, and excellent post to start things off.

Can`t get better than Blanco`s effort in the 87 semi-final for my money, though the others mentioned were pretty good too.

A couple of others that also stood out for me:

- Joe Roko in 2003 vs. SA, QF: audatious pass between the legs by King Carlos to set it up.
- Tim Horan vs. NZ, 91 SF: this time Campo producing the mesmerising run, and no-look pass.
- Pieter Hendriks vs. Aus, 95 opening game- taking on, and beaing, Campo on the outside.
[/b]

Thanks BokMagic - work internet allows me to actually look at stuff nowadays!

wasn't sure about the Lomu one - his 95 and 99 tries are impressive in terms of power, but as rugby tries they don't have a patch on the Blanco passing move.

trying to think of more tries from 2003 - will have to dig up the dvd when i get home and have a look! I guess Robinson and Tuqiri's tries in the final were both pretty good too

Wasn't so keen on it at the time, but Wales' try against England in 2003 where Shane Williams juggles the ball about 3 times and flicks it inside just before Cohen manages to clatter him was pretty special.

Also from 2003, Fiji fullback Norman Luiguri (I have no idea if that spelling is even close) had a spectacular solo effort, against Japan I think. Caught the ball at the back, chips over the onrushing defense, chips the ball off the ground over the opposition 15's head, straight down the touchline, picks it up at full pace at just manages to ground it in the corner.

Lomu's try in 95 and 99 are almost identical, you can probably write both as one.

Mike Catt had an opportunity most people don't have. He got a 2nd chance, but he just did what he did the 1st time. Didn't learn anything at all.

Stirling Mortlock's 90m intercept from a Carlos Spencer pass, intended for Joe Rock would have to rate pretty well wouldn't it? It crushed the All Black's hopes of the elusive RWC trophy.....it turned everything around in the 18th minute of the game after being dominated by the All Blacks throughout the Tri-Nations/Bledisloe games of that year, including a 50 point drubbing.

Stirling Mortlock's 90m intercept from a Carlos Spencer pass, intended for Joe Rock would have to rate pretty well wouldn't it? It crushed the All Black's hopes of the elusive RWC trophy.....it turned everything around in the 18th minute of the game after being dominated by the All Blacks throughout the Tri-Nations/Bledisloe games of that year, including a 50 point drubbing.
[/b]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eSvy9Xt-TLM - mortlock "you little ripper"!

you're right, great interception and match-turning try - same with Dominici vs NZ 1999

The French can just turn it on sometimes in WCs, no matter who they're up against

Too many to name. One that sticks out for me was Stephen Jones' try against England in 2003 set up by a counterattack from Shane Williams.

95 where lomu ran ober that poor pommie! hell they even made an advert out of it

roks receiving tt pass from los against the boks, in between the legs, that one

Mike Catt had an opportunity most people don't have. He got a 2nd chance, but he just did what he did the 1st time. Didn't learn anything at all.
[/b]

That's interesting considering Catt wasn't playing when Lomu scored in '99.

Guscott, Healey, Perry and Dawson all got shrugged off, but no Catt.

Lomu's try in 95 and 99 are almost identical, you can probably write both as one.

[/b]

You're criticising a man who was unable to do the very thing hardly anyone else in the world could do at the time, either: bring down Lomu. And as SFW pointed out, Catt wasn't there in '99.
Good try. tho.

Here's Dominici from '99 v the ABs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RNRhF-ONqZQ

Just a good old fashioned turn over and lightning attack - but it's worth it for the French commentators.

Same match - Lomu does to the French what he did to the English, twice

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2UqdJgmbqk

Blanco in '87
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QyqRwnXf5ns
The turnover after 30s was definitely a penalty, and how long do they take for the conversion? But the score got everyone jumping. And flip's sake - how much smaller were the players compared to today?

Now that's a great try made UMPTEEN times better thanks to the french commentary!

You're criticising a man who was unable to do the very thing hardly anyone else in the world could do at the time, either: bring down Lomu. And as SFW pointed out, Catt wasn't there in '99.
Good try. tho.
[/b]

Can I just say, Lomu never scored a try against the boks.... ever. ;)

That Dominici try is unbelievable though :mellow:

Can I just say, Lomu never scored a try against the boks.... ever. ;)
[/b]

Yeah, he's goes on about that in his Autobiography doesn't he?
Poor bugger.
THink of the amount of times he played agianst them - only to come unstuck every time.

Oh what that wasn't him? I thought he was in the 99 RWC? Well, it sure looked like him LOLZ

1. Rupeni Caucau's try against France (2003)

2. John Kirwan against Italy (1987)

3. Serge Blanco (1987)

4. Pat Lam against Wales (1999)

5. Rupeni Caucau against Scotland (2003)