- Angus McDonald (Japan)
- Brad Mika (Japan)
- Luke McAlister (Sale)
- Sam Tuitupou (Worcester)
- Doug Howlett (Munster)
- Brent Ward (Racing Metro)
- Derren Witcombe (retired)
- Daniel Braid (???still a possibility)

Bloody hell, that's the heart & soul of the team. Our tight-five is seriously depleted and we might probably go into the draft to get a decent cover, especially at second row to partner Flavell. We still have enough depth and talent to cover our backline except at halfback.

Possible Lineup:

1. Tony Woodcock / Chris Heard / James Afoa

2. Keven Mealamu / Tim Dow / Tom McCartney

3. John Afoa / Ben Afeaki

4. Troy Flavell / Brad Taylor / Anthony Boric

5. Jay Williams / Kurtis Haiu

6. Jerome Kaino / Gus Collins

7. Onosai Tololima Auva'a

8. Nick Williams / Jake Paringatai

9. Taniela Moa / David Gibson / Steve Devine

10. Nick Evans / Lachie Munro / David Holwell

11. Joe Rokocoko / David Smith

12. Isa Nacewa / Daniel Bowden

13. Isaia Toeava / Benson Stanley

14. Anthony Tuitavake / Viliame Waqaseduadua / Rudi Wulf

15. George Pisi / Ben Atiga

What are your thoughts fellow Blues supporters out there - Ripper?? Mimic?? Esoj??

GONE:

- Ali Williams (Crusaders)
- Greg Rawlinson (Worcester)
- Saimone Taumoepeau (Toulon)
- Angus McDonald (Japan)
- Brad Mika (Japan)
- Luke McAlister (Sale)
- Doug Howlett (Munster)

Bloody hell, that's the heart & soul of the team. Our tight-five is seriously depleted and we might probably go into the draft to get a decent cover, especially at second row to partner Flavell. We still have enough depth and talent to cover our backline except at halfback.

Possible Lineup:

What are your thoughts fellow Blues supporters out there - Ripper?? Mimic?? Esoj??
[/b]

I'm not a blues supporter, but I'll comment anyways...

Looks a bit thin in the loose forward options - not a lot of other good options available within the region though, with some proabably still a year or so away (Tom Chamberlain and Chris Smith from North Harbour), while others are probably below super 14 level (eg Joel McKenty from Northland, and Rob Colhoun from Harbour).

At lock I believe Ryan Wilson from Harbour will be very close to selection this year - I've been quite impressed with him lately.

Their is plenty of talent in the backs - It will be interesting to see how they fit people in as their are a number of players that play multiple positions well ( i.e will the play Atiga at centre or Fullback, Toeava at 2nd five or centre, Tuitavake at centre or the wing, Wulf at wing or in the mid-field, Nacewa at any position).

Despite losing a lot of talent I'd much rather be in the position of the Blues than that of my team the Highlanders...

Considering McAlister and Mauger are off overseas, I'm sure the All Blacks would want Toeava to play at #12. I don't want Brett to take that spot LOL!

Atiga shouldn't play fullback. If anything, he'd be in the team to play centre.
He's been proven to be a liability under the high ball. Benson Stanley has impressed, looks to be a good prospect for the #12 jersey for the future.

Joe Tekori still eligible to play for the Blues? He played for Auckland last year, and he seems to be doing well with Samoa. He's obviously been taking notes from Brad Mika lol, give him a shot!

Hopefully being in the Blues environment, and playing alongside Mealamu and Woodcock will help Ben Afeaki develop into the next All Black prop to replace Carl Hayman.

I thought 2008 was the year of the Blues, but all these signings overseas is making me cry :(

hey look at the bright side...were not in otago

its a solid team...david smith should be returning to auckland..he has been electrifying in the cup this year..alotta young talent we have yet to see and this may be a good thing for auckland..well not in the short term sense with all those players leaving

but we get evans back..george pisi has to go..he has been slack for the harbour team, my squad would look like this

1.woodcock
2.mealamu
3.afoa
4.troy flavell
5.anthony boric
6.justin collins (if hes good for another season with the blues)
7.jerome kaino
8.nick williams
9.taniela moa
10.nick evans
11.joe rokocoko
12.anthony tuitevake
13.benson stanley
14.david smith
15.isa necewa

our backline still possess that fire that can scorch any team..the only thing im concerned with is not the depth but the experience in that depth as many of them do not have that top class experience..so it will come down to the draft and who we pick...im picking they will find a couple of loose forwards to help us out

we are losing players for sure but compared to otago/highlanders who are losing their entire front row one of their locks and their star player evans the blues will be looking pretty good next year. they may be a bit young and lack a bit of experince but the blues team next year will still be very talented and on their day able to match it with anyone in the comp.

GONE:

- Ali Williams (Crusaders)
- Greg Rawlinson (Worcester)
- Saimone Taumoepeau (Toulon)
- Angus McDonald (Japan)
- Brad Mika (Japan)
- Luke McAlister (Sale)
- Doug Howlett (Munster)

Possible Lineup:

[/b]

you forgot me! :ranting:

Anyway. I was shocked when i saw the forwards lineup. I didn't think it be so shallow (?). Quite a shock i must say. Well thank goodness for nick evans there. They could play Wulf, Roks, and Nacewae back three. And Tuitavake can play 12, that way Toeava won't need to shift there. The No. 5-8 positions are really shallow now. The experience is gone.

I read sometime ago that Roks is EXTREMELY unhappy at the Blues? And he wants to sign somewhere else. You think he might leave after this? Or sign on with another team after the WC?

Nucifora will most likely go with Toeava at #12. i can't remember the last time I've seen Tuitavake play #12, if he's ever played there.

Playing Toeava at #12 will also be good for the All Blacks. That way the midfield will be Toeava/Smith for the All Blacks lol..

I'd like to see Toeava move into #12, so he can be more involved.

I think Roks was unhappy cos Rudi Wulf was keeping him out of his spot LOL!
Nucifora causes a lot of drama. He did it at the Brumbies, and he's doing it here. At least while he was at the brumbies, they won a ***le. :|

I would like to see Nick Evans played at fullback because he would get a lot more starts for the All Blacks if he played there well. And we wouldn't have to see Leon MacDonald. I think it would probably be better for the Blues to have him at 10 though.

Hmm good point mimic bout Toeava at 12. Briefly thought about that before i posted my last response. Haha been so caught up with Toeava at the 13 jumper for the ABs i forgot bout Smith. Toeava played 12 at the under 21 championships right?

And I agree, could play Evans at FB. Good point there. If all te FB covers are injured then Toeava could shift there. But then there'd be no back line would there?

you forgot me! :ranting:
[/b]

Sorry about that bro :D ..

With Evans back, it's more likely that he'll be used at 5/8 with either Nacewa or Toeava at 12.

Be good to try out a few options during the pre-seasons...

Evans doesn't want to play fullback. The whole reason why he went to Otago was so he could play 1st five. He didn't have a chance at the Blues or even at Harbour because or King Carlos and Luke McAlister.. Now those 2 are gone, he's back in Auckland, no surprise..

Evans will play #10. If Nucifora plays him in any other position, don't be surprised if Evans jumps ship like Ali.

Not sure if David Smith will be in the protected Blues lineup, but he's playing really well, would be surprising if he didn't.

You make Evans out to seem like a catty supermodel who refuses to do a job right because there's a fleck of dirt on the runway. Like some sanctimonious, self righteous sonofabitch

evans talents would be wasted at fullback. he is a very good first five and him runing the blues backline will be something to watch. he had to do it basically on his own down in otago now with some quality backs he can do some real damage

Yeah man, saw that they'd signed too.

Gotta be relieved from a Blues perspective about that.

They'll be pretty strong in 08, both in starting 15 and in depth.

I like the look of Jack McPhee at 5/8, but thats more of a future thing.

Fetu Vaiknakolo is another impressive youngster at wing. Watched him in the flesh destroy the Naki backline in Whangarei a couple weeks ago. How a man accerates, whilst stepping, in traffic through 2 tacklers beggars belief!! Very Masaga/David Smith like.

Stanley really looks the good also. So I'd say lock is the only area of weakness I can see in the Blues 2008 armour. The lineout may be a bit shaky, but Jay Williams has been improving quickly and could be an adequate replacement for his older bro.

As much as I want to see Vainikolo in the squad, I dont think he'll make it. He'll probably be drafted to the Canes or the **** poor Highlanders.

Either ways it will be a win-win situation for both him & the Blues. He gets the much needed game time somewhere else and if he succeeds, we retain him in 2009. :p

As much as I want to see Vainikolo in the squad, I dont think he'll make it. He'll probably be drafted to the Canes or the **** poor Highlanders.

Either ways it will be a win-win situation for both him & the Blues. He gets the much needed game time somewhere else and if he succeeds, we retain him in 2009. :p

[/b]

Agreed. I hope he goes to the **** poor Highlanders - if he did it would mean that the team has a chance of scoring a try during the season...

Maybe they could also pick up Paul Perez from the Naki.

Those two would be devistating on the wings! Kade Poki is another amazing wing who has his path blocked. Johnny Leota and Frank Bryant have looked good in the Manawatu midfield, as has Jason Shoemark for the Bay.

Highlanders will do pretty well from the draft I think. And while i realise this is a Blues thread, any thoughts on class players that will be out in the draft next year?

Latest posts