• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Boxing Thread

Have any of you changed your opinion on how good Fury is? or are you still letting your pride get in the way. I'm a big boxing fan and I watch heaps of fights, most of which aren't even televised in NZ. A lot of casual fans don't know **** about boxing, they watch 2 fights a year and think they are experts (similar to rugby fans @ world cup time). Klitschko vs Fury might have looked sloppy at times but it was a bit of a chess match with heaps of feinting and a lot of footwork, neither fighter wanted to get caught or make a big mistake. Wlad was losing and should have taken a few risks, but Fury was just too quick and when Wlad went for it, the fight was basicially over. Wlad has aged no doubt, I know he could win a rematch but he could also get ktfo, the money will still be great though and winning will raise his stock a little to some, but realistically he will still be an ATG and his place in history is already set, most people only really look at prime years. Ali is one of the greatest and he was getting trounced at the end of his career

I know most of you wouldn't recognise him but this is what the late, great Manny Steward had to say about Fury

Do any of you actually follow boxing? Who are your fav fighters

My current top 5 in no particular order

Tyson Fury
Joseph Parker
Deontay Wilder
Chris Eubank jr
Gennady Golovkin

I prefer the higher weight classes, you tend to see more upsets because most of the big boys can end fights with one punch. It makes it more interesting for sure and at heavyweight you are truly seeing the best fighters in the world. P4P is a bs concept just to maintain interest in the lower weight divisions, it has no reality.

I am looking forward to Joshua vs Whyte and Eubank jr vs Spike.

Whyte will be a good test for Joshua because at least you know he will throw back, it's basically a guaranteed slug fest. I have a feeling slicker fighters like Parker, Fury and Wilder will trouble Joshua more but I'm sure Whyte will give him some rounds. If he blows away Whyte in 1 I will be surprised, I think Whyte is too tough and Joshua won't be so eager to throw when he know's something is coming back basically just as hard. I say Joshua win's but I hope he faces a little adversity I think it will help him down the line.

Eubank jr will batter spike, spike is just a tough man fighter with limited power.

Can Fury vs Haye or Fury vs Joshua sell out 80k @ Wembley? I've heard some predict Fury vs Joshua could sell it out in minutes and would sell it out if the stadium were 4 or 5 times as big.

Kevin Barry (Parkers trainer) has predicted that Fury will go for the big fights and will skip some mandatories and may forfeit belts leading to a scramble, he wants Parker to be in a position to fight for a ***le by the end of next year.

Last edited by a moderator:
Have any of you changed your opinion on how good Fury is? or are you still letting your pride get in the way. I'm a big boxing fan and I watch heaps of fights, most of which aren't even televised in NZ. A lot of casual fans don't know **** about boxing, they watch 2 fights a year and think they are experts (similar to rugby fans @ world cup time). Klitschko vs Fury might have looked sloppy at times but it was a bit of a chess match with heaps of feinting and a lot of footwork, neither fighter wanted to get caught or make a big mistake. Wlad was losing and should have taken a few risks, but Fury was just too quick and when Wlad went for it, the fight was basicially over. Wlad has aged no doubt, I know he could win a rematch but he could also get ktfo, the money will still be great though and winning will raise his stock a little to some, but realistically he will still be an ATG and his place in history is already set, most people only really look at prime years. Ali is one of the greatest and he was getting trounced at the end of his career

I know most of you wouldn't recognise him but this is what the late, great Manny Steward had to say about Fury

Do any of you actually follow boxing? Who are your fav fighters

My current top 5 in no particular order

Tyson Fury
Joseph Parker
Deontay Wilder
Chris Eubank jr
Gennady Golovkin

I prefer the higher weight classes, you tend to see more upsets because most of the big boys can end fights with one punch. It makes it more interesting for sure and at heavyweight you are truly seeing the best fighters in the world. P4P is a bs concept just to maintain interest in the lower weight divisions, it has no reality.

I am looking forward to Joshua vs Whyte and Eubank jr vs Spike.

Whyte will be a good test for Joshua because at least you know he will throw back, it's basically a guaranteed slug fest. I have a feeling slicker fighters like Parker, Fury and Wilder will trouble Joshua more but I'm sure Whyte will give him some rounds. If he blows away Whyte in 1 I will be surprised, I think Whyte is too tough and Joshua won't be so eager to throw when he know's something is coming back basically just as hard. I say Joshua win's but I hope he faces a little adversity I think it will help him down the line.

Eubank jr will batter spike, spike is just a tough man fighter with limited power.

Can Fury vs Haye or Fury vs Joshua sell out 80k @ Wembley? I've heard some predict Fury vs Joshua could sell it out in minutes and would sell it out if the stadium were 4 or 5 times as big.

Kevin Barry (Parkers trainer) has predicted that Fury will go for the big fights and will skip some mandatories and may forfeit belts leading to a scramble, he wants Parker to be in a position to fight for a ***le by the end of next year.

Have my thoughts changed on Fury? Well he definitely outworked Klitschko - and was a fair bit faster. Still think he has average power for a big man. Credit where it is due, he beat Klitschko. Not exactly and exciting fight like you suggested.

I watch a fair bit of boxing. Tend to stream fights. I really follow the HW division since I was a kid in the 90s. Its been pretty grim for a while - but is back on the up. In the HWs I like Parker, Wilder (when he doesn't talk), AJ, Klitschko and Takam. There is a new kid called George Arias (not THE George Arius) in the USA who looks like a young Mike Tyson in his style. Not sure he'll make it big, but worth checking out.

GGG is entertaining. I follow the big fights in the smaller divisions - but have always been more a HW fan.

Have my thoughts changed on Fury? Well he definitely outworked Klitschko - and was a fair bit faster. Still think he has average power for a big man. Credit where it is due, he beat Klitschko. Not exactly and exciting fight like you suggested.

I watch a fair bit of boxing. Tend to stream fights. I really follow the HW division since I was a kid in the 90s. Its been pretty grim for a while - but is back on the up. In the HWs I like Parker, Wilder (when he doesn't talk), AJ, Klitschko and Takam. There is a new kid called George Arias (not THE George Arius) in the USA who looks like a young Mike Tyson in his style. Not sure he'll make it big, but worth checking out.

GGG is entertaining. I follow the big fights in the smaller divisions - but have always been more a HW fan.

I haven't seen any of Arias but have heard the name before, will have to keep an eye out. The only fight i have seen in full of Takam was against Povetkin and he did ok until he got crushed, I saw some highlights against Perez and he did well in that as well definitely a decent fighter.

The heavyweight division is starting to see some real action which is great for the division

Joshua vs Whyte
Helenius vs Teper
Jennings vs Ortiz
Martin vs Breazeale (even though Breazeale is pretty average he's still undefeated and Martin looks impressive)
Wilder is fighting in Jan (and its expected to be against his stiffest ***le challenge yet)

I hear what your saying james5000 about Fury and I was very suprised he won but credit were credit is due he did win.

Its not that I dont rate him I just dont get excited by him and yes I admit I am only a casual fan with no real appreciation of ring craft, defensive boxing etc but boxing more than any sport needs to entertain and his style just doesnt entertain me. Yes Klitschko was also a rather dull fighter and I wasnt a fan of his either but if Tyson Fury is really the best the fighter in the premier weight divison in boxing then we need some new blood and fast. Which looking at that list you have put up thankfully looks very possible.

So, there will be a rematch in 2016 between Wlad and Fury. Possibly at Wembley. Awesome !! Can't wait!

I'm also a little disappointed Wlad has decided to go with the rematch. It basically puts the rebirth of the division on hold for at least 6 months, and if he actually wins it could be even longer. I do hate his fighting style and he better throw a few punches next time, he's way to gun shy when he can't just throw his 1-2 all night.

http://www.skysports.com/klitschko-...orld-***le-if-he-rematches-wladimir-klitschko

Rumour has it that Fury will have to drop the IBF ***le if he is forced to rematch Wlad. I don't know if they will be able to pay Glazkov off but it seems despicable to me, the boxing org's really do whatever the **** they want and can be bought by the highest bidder.

Glazkov got his no1 contender ranking by getting a gift decision over Fury ko victim Steve Cunningham. He has no business fighting for a vacant ***le at this stage and if he fights Martin or Teper (who have actually done even less), than that's bloody terrible for the division.

Teper pulled out of his fight with Helenius claiming an injury (probably realised he might get a ***le shot and didn't want to risk it). I was looking forward to that fight as it would show where the two were at in the division.

The politics of boxing can be really frustrating as a fan, contenders ducking and dodging each other so they can get pay days.

I enjoyed this face off (apart from Johnny Nelson, who just kisses AJ's ass).

Dillian is right, AJ got 2 gifts to win the gold at the Olympics, he hasn't fought anyone and is ranked no2 by WBC which is another gift. He's the poster boy of the division despite doing nothing and being a convicted drug dealer who is already on massive coin.

Dillian on the other hand had to turn pro because the ABA were disputing his kickboxing career, as a pro he was banned for 2 years for taking jack3d ffs. He's had so many hurdles to jump, compared to his rival who has been given all the short cuts imaginable, who wouldn't have a grudge.

Don't sleep on Whyte, he already has the confidence to blow Joshua away, as he's done it before. The longer the fight goes, the better for him, a stiff bodybuilder like Joshua is not going to have the cardio to go 12 especially as he hasn't been past a couple of rounds before. This will be a big challenge and I really do applaud both for taking the risk this early in their careers. They are both great prospects.

When you say he will blow him away like he did before, wasnt it both their first fight?

I didn't say he will blow him away, I said "he already has the confidence to blow Joshua away, as he's done it before". They said it was Dillian's first amateur boxing fight (although he was an experienced kickboxer), and AJ's 3rd fight (Dillian said that AJ was already being touted as a star, and Dillian's coach didn't want him to fight AJ because he thought he might get beat up)

I didn't say he will blow him away, I said "he already has the confidence to blow Joshua away, as he's done it before". They said it was Dillian's first amateur boxing fight (although he was an experienced kickboxer), and AJ's 3rd fight (Dillian said that AJ was already being touted as a star, and Dillian's coach didn't want him to fight AJ because he thought he might get beat up)

so really it doesnt mean a great deal then? I think Dillian is playing on this poor repressed brother from the ghetto thing a bit too much. I think a lot of his support comes from a very traditional thing we have in the UK for not liking sucessful people and some dont like AJ for that reason.

We will see, I am going to get it on Pay for view and the wife is taking the kids to my sisters for the night so they can have a girly catch up, so its all good!.

so really it doesnt mean a great deal then? I think Dillian is playing on this poor repressed brother from the ghetto thing a bit too much. I think a lot of his support comes from a very traditional thing we have in the UK for not liking sucessful people and some dont like AJ for that reason.

We will see, I am going to get it on Pay for view and the wife is taking the kids to my sisters for the night so they can have a girly catch up, so its all good!.

No it doesn't mean much, but it is a nice story line. Always a bit more interesting when you have a bit of background and it will be interesting to see who has progressed the most.

NZ has inherited a bit of that tall poppy syndrome as well, I just feel like they have built AJ up (promoted him) as being unbeatable too early and people just eat it up. He is a raw talent, but he is so unproven he's not really fought anyone that's close to world ***le challenging level yet and many (arguably most people) think he could win a ***le today.

I actually really rate Whyte quite highly, IMO at this stage of their careers he is around that Parker/Joshua level, maybe slightly below. I'm not sure, so I can't wait to find out. I just don't think he has the mobility to actually beat them, but if it was a slug fest he can bang like the best of them.

Whyte has 3 opponents in common with Parker, and he has actually stopped them all quicker than Parker has. It doesn't mean a hell of a lot and may be due to fighting styles, Parker is more of a boxer/puncher and Whyte is a typical slugger, but it does tell you Whyte can hit very hard.

No it doesn't mean much, but it is a nice story line. Always a bit more interesting when you have a bit of background and it will be interesting to see who has progressed the most.

NZ has inherited a bit of that tall poppy syndrome as well, I just feel like they have built AJ up (promoted him) as being unbeatable too early and people just eat it up. He is a raw talent, but he is so unproven he's not really fought anyone that's close to world ***le challenging level yet and many (arguably most people) think he could win a ***le today.

I actually really rate Whyte quite highly, IMO at this stage of their careers he is around that Parker/Joshua level, maybe slightly below. I'm not sure, so I can't wait to find out. I just don't think he has the mobility to actually beat them, but if it was a slug fest he can bang like the best of them.

Whyte has 3 opponents in common with Parker, and he has actually stopped them all quicker than Parker has. It doesn't mean a hell of a lot and may be due to fighting styles, Parker is more of a boxer/puncher and Whyte is a typical slugger, but it does tell you Whyte can hit very hard.

I do like the way Whyte fights and he can seriously punch but thats to be expected at heavy weight, my only gripe really is in his last couple of fights hes looked fat and sluggish compared to earlier fights. I hope he looks in better shape this time round as I want to him and AJ to have a real go at each other and I dont want him to end being another fat journeyman like Chisora.

I do like the way Whyte fights and he can seriously punch but thats to be expected at heavy weight, my only gripe really is in his last couple of fights hes looked fat and sluggish compared to earlier fights. I hope he looks in better shape this time round as I want to him and AJ to have a real go at each other and I dont want him to end being another fat journeyman like Chisora.

Chisora doesn't always come in shape but he's not a journeyman, he's a very good gate keeper, good enough to beat low level contenders (Helenius who he was robbed against and Scott who has beaten Leapai and Tony Thompson, Scott's only other loss was a dive against Wilder). Chisora has only lost against World Champions Haye, 2xFury and Vitaly. He actually gave Vitaly a real stern test, his hardest fight for a long time. That being said he is now probably past his prime, those big fights would have taken their toll by now.

I do see a bit of a similarity between Chisora and Whyte, they have a similar build and style. The thing is that Whyte is just a bigger, stronger and meaner version of Chisora, basically has better physical tools so imo has greater potential. If Chisora is good enough to fight for world ***les and have a decent go then I think Whyte has the potential to actually win one.

I found out yesterday this card is going to be free in NZ for skysports subscribers which I am stoked about. This card is actually worth PPV I reckon, Joshua vs Whyte will be an epic battle, the best of the year I'm expecting.

I have absolutely no UK bias but I honestly believe the four best prospects at heavyweight are Josuha, Whyte, Hughie Fury and Joseph Parker. They each have a different style suited to their physical attributes but they are all great fighters even as untested prospects. There are other fighters coming up like Oscar Rivas, Charles Martin, Dominic Breazeale and Andy Ruiz jr, but they don't really excite me like the 4 mentioned.

UK is probably the strongest professional boxing nation in the world with the likes of Tyson Fury, James Degale, Kell Brook, Amir Khan, Carl frampton and many more great fighters. I read somewhere they actually have the most current world champions as of Tyson Fury's victory.

Last edited:
Considering Whyte is basically a British/London boxer he got booed to **** coming into the arena/ring.
AJ the golden boy because of the Olympics?

Pretty sure I'd be dead by now if I were Whyte - he is eating some shots!

All kicked off after the bell, never seen so many people pile into the ring before!
AJ will finish this this round, easy.

Latest posts