• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Brent Impey Brands NH Nations Colonialists

[Citation needed]

Also what does voting against the world league (which was a bad idea, what's the point of the RWC?) have to do with Pacific Island eligibility?

thats the way i read what he said,

*how good would it have been if these guys could have gone back and played for the PI's....i point the finger at the home nations for not allowing it*

as ive said, lots of people read it as he was saying PI players going to the homes nations was the problem and really got stuck on that idea, the hypocrisy seeing as he names players that the ab's had capped, i read it differently, as it he doesn't care who capped them the first time and so in his argument it doesn't matter the ab's capped them its about allowing them to go back to the PI's

it doesn't have anything to do with eligibility other than what i broken down as it might help these counties lure players if they have more important and regular games

thats the way i read what he said,

*how good would it have been if these guys could have gone back and played for the PI's....i point the finger at the home nations for not allowing it*

And you're running with the idea as if it has any merit instead of it being based on BS. You echoed the claim, show us the evidence. I've provided some to the contrary, even.

He should damn well care who caps them the first time because that is the very thing which is creating the problems in the first place, alongside draconian selection policy on NZ's part. The All Blacks are effectively treating players as a disposable commodity then pointing the finger at others who have done more for the players providing them jobs and care after their Union washed their hands with said players for daring to expand their horizons in what is a short career even at the best of times. Not only that, NZ rugby have done it in a very ugly, inflammatory manner (which is quite calculated)... yet it seems you're ignoring this and other points raised above whilst claiming this is what is happening to you - which it isn't, by the way.

Meme boy run out of animated gifs already?
The horror!

Lol... just one more... just for you :)
upload_2019-10-16_23-14-52.jpeg

I've already made my points clear above in the thread, namely I really don't like the idea of allowing players to represent more than one country as it would hugely muddy the already cloudy waters.

I've also stated that I feel World Rugby should be doing a hell of a lot more within the islands to prevent the talented young islanders to even consider representing any other nation in the first place, be it NH or SH.

... and I now see the discussion has moved onto the fact that attacking 6 Nations sides not wanting the World League was Impey's actual raisin d'etre. Well I was actually always on board with the World League as long as it involved promotion and relegation. See I'm all for supporting lower tier rugby and providing pathways for progression. It's just this Impey idiot made an absolute s**t-burger out of it!

I see @The Alpha Bro has posted a link to your thoughts on how eligibility should be managed within the game. I'll read it, which is more than I can say for you with my posts. You seem to just pick out certain things in isolation ignoring any context... child's play really!

And you're running with the idea as if it has any merit instead of it being based on BS. You echoed the claim, show us the evidence. I've provided some to the contrary, even.

He should damn well care who caps them the first time because that is the very thing which is creating the problems in the first place, alongside draconian selection policy on NZ's part. The All Blacks are effectively treating players as a disposable commodity then pointing the finger at others who have done more for the players providing them jobs and care after their Union washed their hands with said players for daring to expand their horizons in what is a short career even at the best of times. Not only that, NZ rugby have done it in a very ugly, inflammatory manner (which is quite calculated)... yet it seems you're ignoring this and other points raised above whilst claiming this is what is happening to you - which it isn't, by the way.

i dont have time to read or reply to everything, i'll just say i dont actually agree with him, ive said several times i have no idea if what hes saying is true, ive just tried to say there was a different way to understand what he said and maybe we could ignore what he said and look at what i believe he was trying to get to which was ways to help the PI's

Last edited:
i dont have time to read or reply to everything
I understand that, its better if you did but cool.

I don't think you're being disingenuous here, but I will say it's bordering on wilfully ignorant to roll with the untruthful, toxic narrative, projecting your own opinions onto Impey's. I get that its your country/union (you are a Kiwi, I think?) and you want to stick up for them but when you even have certain prejudiced posters on here condemning Impey's words then it might be time to have a wee rethink.

If this was the usual; "We need to do more for T2 nations/global rugby in general" I don't think many would disagree. Maybe different ideas on the methods to achieve this, and even with a poorly worded argument more would be behind him. This really feels and appears to be something else IMO.

Hope that makes enough sense; I'm proper tired right now and I'm struggling to type a coherent sentence... not that I usually manage that too well anyhow.

I understand that, its better if you did but cool.

I don't think you're being disingenuous here, but I will say it's bordering on wilfully ignorant to roll with the untruthful, toxic narrative, projecting your own opinions onto Impey's. I get that its your country/union (you are a Kiwi, I think?) and you want to stick up for them but when you even have certain prejudiced posters on here condemning Impey's words then it might be time to have a wee rethink.

If this was the usual; "We need to do more for T2 nations/global rugby in general" I don't think many would disagree. Maybe different ideas on the methods to achieve this, and even with a poorly worded argument more would be behind him. This really feels and appears to be something else IMO.

Hope that makes enough sense; I'm proper tired right now and I'm struggling to type a coherent sentence... not that I usually manage that too well anyhow.

I literally meant I was walking into a meeting and didn't have time to read the whole post before I did and just want to clarify I don't agree with what he said in the surface, I have tried to say that a few times, that's seems to not have come across yet again as you just said I'm defending him

I don't support him on the surface, on the words he actually used

I thought I might have seen what he was trying to get at and was trying to get at that rather than what he said specifically

more than happy to admit I might have misunderstood his intentions and he was just taking a poorly executed shot at the home nations for some reason

really hope it came across this time

I've seen some NH posters say the World League was a bad idea but why? Sure you are happy with what you got with the current domestic landscape but why against something that has a large potential to grow the game? I think having a global calendar and promotion/relegation between tiers will just increase the competitiveness of all nations involved. The July/Nov Tours are a waste of time as the teams usually just send 2nd/3rd string players on those tours so would of been good getting rid of those whilst also including tier 2 teams.

Because it would kill the world cup.

I'm genuinely amazed that people want a world league.

Because it would kill the world cup.

I'm genuinely amazed that people want a world league.
In all honesty, that is the only drawback I had with the Nations Cup (and admittedly it's a bit of a whopper) but the investment into the game, particularly the investment mentioned for the tiers below the top 12... as well as the promotion and relegation aspect swung it for me.

It obviously doesn't matter now though as it's off the table.

The issue I have is that all this is about integrity. Integrity of the Sport. Integrity of selection policies. Integrity of sticking to one country.

The way I see it, the idea is that there must be different parameters set for playing for a national team based on 1. Origin, 2. If this nation is a tier 2/3 nation, whether it can piggyback on a tier 1 nation, and 3. Allow certain ethnic groups to play for more than one nation.

No matter how anyone wants to sugarcoat it, Surely there are better ways to go about solving the problem without bringing the entire sport into disrepute. We can't have the situation where one group abides by one rule, and another group by another set of rules. That's how rebellions start.

Just to broaden the perspective, instead of looking at the PI, we used the Commonwealth. Then after the guys retire at the ripe age of 29 for their individual countries, they decide that they want to return within the Commonwealth framework, and all play for England or whoever that is part of the commonwealth.

I think this post sums it up the best:
I may be a little bit mad here but won't allowing retiring or not good enough players dilute the PI teams rather than enhance them?

By that I mean players will encouraged even more to go try out their hand for Tier 1 godhood and then PI's will only ever have the Tier 1 castoffs and never be able to compete with those nations. The answer as always is stricter eligibility laws but your not going to stop migration of people.

It would harm, not help, the PIs. Prime players would hold out for the chance of playing for a richer nation, and then go back to the PIs if/when they fall out of favour (I imagine Nathan Hughes would be in the Fiji squad this RWC, for example, after snubbing them a number of years ago to qualify for England instead.)

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the sevens loophole still available for players who want to switch nations? So he's not exactly advocating for something new.

Would switch be available for all players. If something unfortunate happens to tommy Seymour or Sam underhill and they never return to their nations standards (or if Seymour wants to leave that sinking ship) can they turn up for their birth nation or is it only available to PI diaspora.

Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't the sevens loophole still available for players who want to switch nations? So he's not exactly advocating for something new.

Would switch be available for all players. If something unfortunate happens to tommy Seymour or Sam underhill and they never return to their nations standards (or if Seymour wants to leave that sinking ship) can they turn up for their birth nation or is it only available to PI diaspora.
It is... there was talk that Folau was considering it to represent Tonga but as he is already 30's I think it wouldn't really be worth it.

It is... there was talk that Folau was considering it to represent Tonga but as he is already 30's I think it wouldn't really be worth it.
So this impey fella is trying to get people ****** at the home nations for preventing players from doing something that they are not prevented from doing?

Latest posts