• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

British & Irish Lions Back Row

Robshaw is certainly doing himself a lot of favours this tournament.
Before the six nations started I thought he'd tour, now I think he's in with a very good shout of starting and potentially captaining, with neither heaslip nor Warburton going particularly well, and BOD getting injured more and more these days

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk HD

Robshaw has played himself onto the tour for sure now IMO and hes looking like a starting spot more and more, on him and the captaincy I'd be happy for him to lead the pack but I feel a Lions skipper should be more experience, why I see BOD (if maintaing form/fitness) as front runner.

Robshaw has played himself onto the tour for sure now IMO and hes looking like a starting spot more and more, on him and the captaincy I'd be happy for him to lead the pack but I feel a Lions skipper should be more experience, why I see BOD (if maintaing form/fitness) as front runner.

Paul O'Connell has more chance of being Lions skipper than BOD.......unless Gatland is going to pick a Tour skipper and then a captain for each Test from the players selected for that Test?
!

I'm less certain about the backrow than ever. Those mentioned as certainties have fallen out of form (Warburton, Denton) and Lydiate and Ferris are running out of time to make claim for a place on the plane. Ryan Jones, after a small wobble has re-emerged as a probable squad member. Heaslip's form against England has raised doubts over his place in the starting 15, whilst Faletau is re-emerging as a more credible option. Beattie is also putting his hand up. On form, Robshaw is currently the only shoe-in, with Tipuric my front-runner at 7. SOB's showing against Wales also puts him right up there.

So where the hell does that leave us?

06 Robshaw (possible captain)
07 Tipuric (best out and out 7 available by quite some distance)
08 Heaslip (but was out-played by Faletau in the opening 6 nations game, and was utterly rubbish yesterday)

20 SOB / Ryan Jones

I think Steffon Armitage is the best out and out 7 available to be honest.

Give me any reason why this should not be the back row for the lions 6 Ferris 7 Robshaw 8 SOB/anyone but Heaslip

Paul O'Connell has more chance of being Lions skipper than BOD.......unless Gatland is going to pick a Tour skipper and then a captain for each Test from the players selected for that Test?
!

What reason do you have for thinking that?

I personally think Fez and Lydiate will both be very much in Gatland's minds, they're of proven quality and I don't think he'll need to see much to take them. That said, we're not short of 6s, at least once you count guys who can play 6 playing at 7.

Although speaking of players with big reps and injury prone natures, Croft played 70 minutes and was man of the match the other day... could still make his case yet.

I quite like 6. Lydiate/Ferris 7. Robshaw(C) 8. Faletau . Not 100% sure of number 8 but I like the power, tackling and ball carrying of those 3 . On the back of a tight 5 in control of the game I think that could devestate Australia and reduce the need IMO of a fetcher .

Sean O'Brien.

Of course there are other options as we are so rich in players in the back row . That's just my choice but ferris and lydiate have been injured for quite a while now . Will be interesting to see who gats likes . Tom wood could easily be in with a shout as coil heaslip as it would be a knee jerk decision not to take him after 1 match when he was unde alot of pressure in crappy conditions

I'd have O'Brien on the bench - very talented at playing all the backrow positions, while excelling (in comparison to others, anyhow) at none of them at the moment - if Ireland had left him as a 6/8 he'd be a nailed on starter, but he's no where near as destructive these days (compared to his old form).

Last edited:
I'd have O'Brien on the bench - very talented at played all there backrow positions, while excelling (in comparison to others, anyhow) at none of them at the moment - if Ireland had left him as a 6/8 he'd be a nailed on starter, but he's no where near as destructive these days (compared to his old form).

I agree with this .
I know many people don't see robshaw as a 7 but at least h plays there for club and country .

I think the way the Irish back row seem to share the 7 duties have had a negative effect on all the players form but I think a 6. O'Brien (can't see Fez making it) and 7. Robshaw would be class. I don't know about 8 if Heaslip recovers after his performance on Sunday then maybe but Morgan would be really effective as well. None of the 8's have reached out and grabbed the shirt but when O'Brien gets to attack he's still very effective and he won't miss a tackle either. Robshaw, I think, has got his jersey nailed down unless Warburton finds some form.

I wish O'Brien would play 8 more, but that would mean dropping Heaslip which won't happen. 6: Ferris 7: Henry 8: O'Brien would be unreal.
Whats happening with Lydiate at the minute? How long is he out for?
Honestly, I couldn't care what the backrow is going to be because its gonna be bloody great whatever the combo. I liking Robshaw more and more every match, too inexperienced for a Lions captain though. Warburton is playing poor however Tipuric is fantastic.

What do people think of 6: Robshaw 7: Tipuric 8: O'Brien? (Provided he gets some game time there which is unlikely)

Also, going to say it and ill never change my opinion. - BOD for Lions captain. Are other people having him in their team? Tuilagi - BOD midfield would be sensational, as long as Tuilagi passes a little more.

Gonna put a team again, sorry I do this a lot, just changes so much.
1: Healy
2: Best
3: Cole
4: Hines
5: Gray
6: Robshaw
7: Tipuric
8: O'Brien
9: Youngs
10: Sexton (short range pens + touch kicks)
11: Hogg
12: Tuilagi
13: O'Driscoll (c)
14: North
15: Halfpenny

5 Irish
4 English
3 Welsh
3 Scottish

However we all know there will be more Welshies.. Hopefully Davies gets his **** together

Last edited:
Jones, Tipuric, Morgan.
Maybe Wood bench, Robshaw is guaranteed a place due to Sky though.

People are talking about Warburton being completely off form, and that Tipuric should take his place, but the fact is that with Lydiate on the pitch Warburton is a completely different animal. Lydiates chop tackles are perfect turnover material for a groundhog style openside, and IMO Warburton is a better groundhog than Tipuric. The Warburton/Lydiate combination worked brilliantly for Wales in last years Six Nations, aswell as the World Cup.

People are talking about Warburton being completely off form, and that Tipuric should take his place, but the fact is that with Lydiate on the pitch Warburton is a completely different animal. Lydiates chop tackles are perfect turnover material for a groundhog style openside, and IMO Warburton is a better groundhog than Tipuric. The Warburton/Lydiate combination worked brilliantly for Wales in last years Six Nations, aswell as the World Cup.

Right, so we should take the risk of sticking Lydiate in the Lions team who hasn't played an international in ages, isn't even back from injury, just so Warburton *might* improve his game?

Right, so we should take the risk of sticking Lydiate in the Lions team who hasn't played an international in ages, isn't even back from injury, just slo Warburton *might* improve his game?

Agree with this. If Lydiate is the only player Warburton can function properly alongside, theres clearly something wrong.

Personally I think Robshaws sucess and that of other 6's who have played at 7 has taught me that its not always that helpful to think of yourself as an out and out 7 who's task is to just fetch ball, if it means you forget about the other things a back-rower could usefully do. If Robshaw judged himself or was judged just by that standard of how much ball fetched, he wouldn't be seen to be doing as well as he is. I've noticed with Warbuton that he's always in the right places that you'd expect your 7 to be, gets in a good postion and competes. very often, if he could just stay on his feet half a second/1 second more, he'd be winning more penalties and turnovers. But sometimes thats just not possible, and so I think it would be better for him if he was told to play more like a 6.5. I think Warburton has nore to offer than just stealing, and thats why I think playing him alongside Tipuric, with less pressure on him to win that steal on every occasion, would help bring out some other assets of his game.

Last edited:

Tipuric holds his own on the floor in the big games. He may not win as many turnovers, but I personally think he's better at killing the ball and slowing down the opposition, which in Australia could be vital.

He's also a better link man in attack and definitely has the edge on pace which, with the sort of pitches they are likely to be playing on, is another huge asset to a backrow.

Latest posts