• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Canadian June Test Matches

Phil Mackenzie is having Groin surgery, but he expects to be back in a month or so, hopefully he's good for the tour, also another question who backs up Hamilton at Hooker? It's going to be an interesting process to see who dons the #2 and #16 jerseys.

I'm sure there might be a few dark horses out there but would have to think that Owen Parfrey (especially with his family connection) would be getting a real hard look and perhaps revisting the idea of Pletch at hooker. He's playing there for the Blues and about to go on tour so I would thank that that would work in his favour also.

I'm sure there might be a few dark horses out there but would have to think that Owen Parfrey (especially with his family connection) would be getting a real hard look and perhaps revisting the idea of Pletch at hooker. He's playing there for the Blues and about to go on tour so I would thank that that would work in his favour also.

I was thinking the same thing about Pletch, he was also captaining that Blues side last Saturday, I think Hamilton will have his chance to start and maybe the #16 shirt will be passed around a little bit until someone fits it.

Some nice little tidbits coming out in the last couple of days, Jason Marshall is recovering much quicker than was anticipated and will be joining Aurilliac for their final few games of the year, so he'll definately be available for the June tests.

Phil Mackenzie has won player of the year for Esher, as well Adam Kleeberger has also been nominated for player of the year at London Scottish even though he has only been there half a season. Aaron Carpenter is also leading Plymouth Albion in tries.

Great news for Pritchard as well as Bedford have resigned him for another two seasons which would take him till 2014, only one year after that is the RWC, perhaps a fourth appearance on the biggest stage of all would be a great way for Pritch to wrap up whats been a very solid club and international career.

Edit: Aaron Carpenter has won player of the year for Plymouth Albion, what a fantastic year for Canadian professionals, DTH Van De Merwe also returned to action with Glasgow and scored a spectacular try, looks like guys are getting healthy in time for June!!!!.

Edit Edit: Excpet for Hirayama who needed surgery and looks out for June, Cudmore was joking on twitter that McCann will take his place which is quite possibe, Cudmore says he wants to go to the tour if he's available after Clermont is done.

Last edited:
Last chance for the early bird ticket specials for the United States (Kingston) and Georgia (Burnaby) games is tonight fellow Canadian and American rugby fans, the deals are really good and if your thinking of going I highly recommend getting your tickets tonight.

The game against Italy still has the early bird deals going on at least for the time being, but supplies will be limited.

It also looks like Sean-Michel Stephen has won the fan vote for player of the year at Plymouth Albion, it's hard to imagine a better year for Canadian overseas professionals, it seems everyone aside from O'Toole has played fantastic.

there are rumours that Canada may not put out the best side for the Georgia match, meaning that match with neither side thought to be playing their strongest XV will be a joke and nobody will be able to take much from it

Where did you hear that rumor?

Sent from my HTC Desire HD A9191 using Tapatalk 2

I hope these rumours aren't true. I wouldn't mind seeing Crowley put a couple of subs in as starters or perhaps blood some new talent in off the bench if Georgia is fielding a weaker side, but putting out Canada "A" wouldn't give value to the fans or the test match.

Canada fielded a weak side against the likes of Belgium in 2010 and let a couple of pro's return to their clubs before the Portugal game that year but those were the November tests. It looks like most of the injury concerns outside of Hirayama(and possibly Paris) have or will be taken care of by June. It seems like even Cudmore wants in on the action as he tweeted to Hirayama a couple of weeks ago. I'd really love to see McCann added to the squad in his stead.

Edit: Matt Evans has also resigned with Cornish Pirates for the 2012/13 season, he's really had a rebirth this season after struggling in Wales.

Last edited:
With only a month to go I am pretty keen on seeing who makes the field for Canada and, of course, how the team goes!

Given Canada´s backrow depth I thought about maybe having Carpenter return to play hooker. Could be interesting..... He may also be the captain. If so, maybe the team would be as follows:

15 Matt Evans
14 Phil MacKenzie
13 Daniel van der Merwe
12 Conor Trainor
11 Taylor Paris
10 Nathan Hirayama
9 Sean White
8 Jebb Sinclair
7 Chauncey O´Toole
6 Adam Kleeberger
5 Jamie Cudmore
4 Tyler Hotson
3 Jason Marshall
2 Aaron Carpenter
1 Hubert Bydens

Hirayama will unfortunately be unavailable due to injury it seems, Paris has said he should be available and back from his period out of action. A lot also depends on Cudmore's availability and whether he will miss the entire tour (or just the States game) or be in the lineup the entire time.

This would be my lineup assuming Cudmore is available.

1. Hubert Buydens
2. Ryan Hamilton(I think he needs a chance to show how he can do starting)
3. Jason Marshall
4. Jebb Sinclair
5. Jamie Cudmore(Hotson starts if Cudmore is unavailable)
6. Adam Kleeberger
7. Chauncey O'Toole
8. Aaron Carpenter
9. Sean White (Possibly his Edness if he's available and Crowley feels he's the best option for Canada to win)
10. Ander Monro - Captain
11. James Pritchard
12. Conor Trainor
13. DTH Van De Merwe
14. Phil Mackenzie
15. Matt Evans

Bench

16. Mike Pletch or Ray Barkwill(This is anyone's guess and a total crapshoot, I'm going on depeding on how these two do on the Blues tour of South America, but we could see someone out of position back up Hamilton or someone out of the CRC or the CDI leagues)
17. Andrew Tieddeman
18. Tyler Hotson (If Cudmore is unavailable, either Josh Jackson or Sean-Micheal Stephen I'd like to see)
19. Nanyak Dala
20. Jamie Mackenzie (Depends on his Edness presence)
21. Connor McCann
22. Taylor Paris(Possibly Hearn for some games or if Paris is still hurt)

Last edited:
Hello, been away a long time.

Curious if anyone knows if these games will be broadcasted?

I imagine TSN or Sportsnet will be looking to grab them.

Anyone know how you can see these games on the internet if you live in England??????

As for my starting 22.

1. Sir Ed Fairhurst
2. Sir Ed Fairhurst
3. Sir Ed Fairhurst
4. Sir Ed Fairhurst
5. Sir Ed Fairhurst
6. Sir Ed Fairhurst
7. Sir Ed Fairhurst
8. Sir Ed Fairhurst
9. Sir Ed Fairhurst
10. Sir Ed Fairhurst
11. Sir Ed Fairhurst
12. Sir Ed Fairhurst
13. Sir Ed Fairhurst
14. Sir Ed Fairhurst
15. Sir Ed Fairhurst
16. Sir Ed Fairhurst
17. Sir Ed Fairhurst
18. Sir Ed Fairhurst
19. Sir Ed Fairhurst
20. Sir Ed Fairhurst
21. Sir Ed Fairhurst
22. Sir Ed Fairhurst

Coach: Sir Ed Fairhurst
Trainer: Sir Ed Fairhurst
Waterboy: Sir Ed Fairhurst
Commentator: Sir Ed Fairhurst

I was wondering the same thing Canucks, ThisIsAmerRugby was pretty sure the Canada vs, US game was being shown in the States by Universal Sports so I would be shocked if a Canadian station didn't pick up the simulcast, TSN2 might be a possibility for the games as well.

If all players are available, here is my lineup

1 Buydens
2 Hamilton
3 Marshall
4 Cudmore
5 Tait
6 Sinclair
7 Kleeberger
8 Carpenter
9 White
10 Monro
11 P. Mackenzie
12 DTH
13 Trainor
14 Evans
15 Pritchard

I thought Franklin retired. Canada needs Tiedemann to take the next step. There are a couple of young locks, one in France and one in Australia who should be given a go. There is also a young winger at Bedford who some people have been talking up as being a good player.

I think your right I just had a brain fart when I made my bench lineup, Tieddeman has looked effective as well coming in off the bench. I wouldn't have Tait over Hotson though.

Evans isn't that great off the wing, I think he's best at CT and FB, so in order to get Pritch in the lineup having him play at 11 is usually best, although DTH has played wing at Glasgow so you could just flip him and Evans.

The young winger at Bedford is Mark Kohler he had a great campaign, I wouldn't mind seeing him get a crack in off the bench soon.

Last edited:
Is Canada v Italy going to be televised?
I am actually looking forward to this one, could be a good match.

I think the Italians will send a full side, they'll be looking for some wins under Brunel and away in Canada would be a good achievement.

I think the Italians will send a full side, they'll be looking for some wins under Brunel and away in Canada would be a good achievement.

I would be shocked if it isn't but I haven't heard any info yet. I'll keep everyone posted as soon as I hear whats going on.

something Mallett said was that when he was Italy coach there wasn't enough matches for them against teams ranked below them and it hurt the development of the young fly halves, he said that Italy should have played more matches against teams ranked below because whilst playing against a weaker side, the young fly halves could afford to learn and make more mistakes, but whilst up against 6 Nations or 4 Nations opponents they didn't have any time to ease into the position of 10

My preferred lineup for the June Internationals.

1 Buydens
2 Hamilton
3 Marshall
4 Cudmore
5 Hotson
6 Sinclair
7 Kleeberger
8 Carpenter
9 White
10 Monro
11 P. Mackenzie
12 Trainor
13 DTH
14 Evans
15 Pritchard

16 Parfrey
17 Tiedemann or Barkwill
18 Luke Cudmore
19 Dala or O`toole
20 Mackenzie
21 Paris
22 Duke

something Mallett said was that when he was Italy coach there wasn't enough matches for them against teams ranked below them and it hurt the development of the young fly halves, he said that Italy should have played more matches against teams ranked below because whilst playing against a weaker side, the young fly halves could afford to learn and make more mistakes, but whilst up against 6 Nations or 4 Nations opponents they didn't have any time to ease into the position of 10
I don't know if I buy that excuse.

SANZAR teams haven't had much issue producing quality, and sometimes Hall of Fame, number 10s. And that's playing against arguably the top 3 sides in the world.

Last edited:
I don't know if I buy that excuse.

SANZAR teams ahven't had much issue producing quality, and sometimes Hall of Fame, number 10s. And that's playing against arguably the top 3 sides in the world.
The overall quality of the surrounding players in a SANZAR team are better than the Italian side. They can't risk putting in a weaker 10 as the other players can't make up for it.

The overall quality of the surrounding players in a SANZAR team are better than the Italian side. They can't risk putting in a weaker 10 as the other players can't make up for it.
That's the only way you really develop someone though.

It's either preservation (of their jobs, hence not picking a 'weaker' 10) or progression. They can't pick both.

Latest posts