• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

[Pacific Nations Cup] United States vs. Canada. 21/06/14

I'm not going to comment on the game because my mom told me if you don't have anything nice to say don't say anything at all. But I think some players have played their way onto the RWC team and some haven't. Though if we can't fix our 2nd half issues then it really doesn't matter who suits up for us.

Barring any surprise breakout performances over the next year I'd say my roster would be similar to the list by CDN_Rugby with some slight rearranging.

1) Hubert Buydens
2) Aaron Carpenter
3) Jason Marshall
4) Tyler Hotson
5) Jamie Cudmore
6) Jebb Sinclair
7) John Moonlight
8) Tyler Ardron

9) Phil Mack
10) Harry Jones
11) Jeff Hassler
12) Ciaran Hearn
13) DTH van der Merwe
14) Taylor Paris
15) James Pritchard

16) Benoit Piffero
17) Andrew Tiedemann
18) Jake Ilnicki
19) Jon Phelan
20) Nanyak Dala
21) Gordie McRorie
22) Phil Mackenzie
23) Matt Evans

24) Ray Barkwill
25) Doug Wooldridge
26) Brett Beukeboom
27) Kyle Gilmour
29) Connor Braid
30) Conor Trainor

So even though I said I was giving up on this forum due to the lack of Tier 2 activity I have decided to change my mind due to the excellent Canadian Rugby coverage here. I'll probably just stick to the Tier 2 sub-forum though.

My thoughts on the June Tour from a Canadian perspective:

Enough with the negativity ladies and gents, these were three hard tests against quality opponents and unfortunately we came out on the losing end in what was three close games. Japan is 13-2 in their last 15 games and that includes wins over Wales, Samoa and Italy. They are a quality team with a lot of good players who all play professional rugby in an increasingly competitive Japanese Top league. they also have four players on their team that regularly start for Super Rugby franchises (in key positions like fly-half and scrum-half might I add). They have also had our number the past few tests we played against them.

Scotland are a Tier-1 nation with a completely professional setup and the fact that we were able to push them to the limit in a game we arguably should have won bodes well for our program.

As for our loss to the USA, our games against them are always close and while we have maintained a winning record going back to 2009 against them a few of those wins should have been for the States and we were lucky to come away with a scalp. they have quality players and are improving just like us.

The fact is, rugby is getting more competitive at the top level, their is still a wide gap between the Big 5 (NZ, SA, Aus, Eng and Fra) and the rest but the Pro12 Nationsand Argentina are all beatable now and their is very little difference between any of the Tier 2 nations (Tonga, Samoa,Fiji, Canada, USA, Japan, Romania and Georgia). We can all beat each other on any given day.

Alot of people are blaming our losses on Rugby Canada paying more attention to 7's and less attention to XV's. I don't buy that Sevens rugby has been detrimental to our XV's in fact I think it's the opposite. Some of our best playerts on this tour have been our Sevens players, Ciaran Hearn has been fantastic and surely deserves a professional contract. Same goes for John Moonlight.

We are deficient in a few key positions though, our front row needs work. While Marshall and Buydens are half decent starters and both playing pro in NZ, we have a large drop off in quality with the next available LH and TH props, it's the same at hooker with Carpenter. Barkwill is decent but I see him more as an impact sub coming off the bench.

We are also incredibly weak at Fly Half and Inside Centre. Jones had a great game against Scotland and the US and I think he has played well and earned the starting fly half jersey but again we run into the problem of who takes over for him coming off the bench? Blevins had a terrible tour and needs to be dropped.

Overall though, I see a lot of positives going forward from this team. We have better players playing right now then we have ever had it's just that, so does everyone else and we need to keep that in mind going forward.

EDIT:

I am also going to come out and question the coaching decisions made this tour. Some of them were shocking TBH. Subbing half the bench at half time against the Americans when we had them on the ropes was a truly shocking decision. We have had a string of these decisions this June and it has made me question if Crowley has lost the plot a little? Putting McRorie on against Scotland in a close game when Phil Mack was playing so well? Keeping Blevins in the starting lineup? So many shocking decisions with so few answers.

Last edited:
Glad to see that I'm not the only one who has questions about the coaching direction of our team. Of course I try not to be too much of a fanboy, because it's easy to get caught up in the emotion of being a supporter. But it's been tough after such a dispiriting summer.

Making a change in coaching is hardly preferable with RWC only a year off, nor is it practical considering the recent loss of Geraint John. But I agree wholeheartedly with Canadian_Rugger (and others) that there are a lot of unanswered questions; What is the logic behind some of the substitutions we've seen? Why is the defensive play so inconsistent on all fronts? What in the world is happening with the scrum?

It stinks losing, and "yeah but we ran them close" just shouldn't be acceptable. I doubt it is for the players.

Stayed up late to see the match. Fairly entertaining. My favorite moment was when one American defender ran away laterally from an attacker that was right in front of him and that resulted in the Canadian player running something like 40 meters and scoring a try.

First, Canadian fall tour game announced for November 1st a game against....an RFU Championship XV.....YAWN.........I guess it's outside of the window so might be a glorified warmup, if it's that it's not the end of the world but I'm not optimistic about the other matches of the tour being very good if this is the best they could find for that date.

It has taken me a few days to recover after that shocking performance against the USA before I felt safe in posting. Had I posted earlier it would have just been a profanity laced diatribe with very little rational thought.

Re. Canada v. USA...
This is what happens when you bring a 7's mind to 15's. I know that most of the team is made of players who concentrate on 15's but watching that game you couldn't tell The risky play, the 50\50 balls, the lack of support at the breakdown and trying to play running rugby off the back foot are all signs that a 7's mentality exists in our 15's squad. How and why that exists is what needs to be asked and what measures we take to fix it has to be addressed. I generally always want to give credit to the winning team but the USA were rubbish also. The only difference is they were slightly less rubbish. If this, as someone noted earlier, saves their poor excuse for a coaches' job Nigel Melville is really not paying attention. This team is not coached, plays with no clear plan and exists solely upon the performances individual players and has no chance of winning except the opposition has right old cock up.

Coaching...
No coaching decisions should or could be made 15 months out from the world cup. We have sung his praises before we are going ride out this rough patch. The old adage "you have to dance with the girl you brought" comes to mind. We are committed to this coaching staff through 2015 and they are more than capable of getting this team to the next level.

Line up...
Hard to argue with all that has been posted in the last few posts. Personally I would like to see a variation that keeps DTH, Hassler and Paris in the starting 15.

November...
I don't have a problem with an early game against a championship 15 as our team will be made up entirely of domestically based players and it will be great opportunity to test our second 15. We just better get some decent opposition for the rest of November ie. PI teams in neutral site venues and maybe Romania in Romania

Romania has been rumoured for the 8th of November but nothing solid soon, just ruminations and whipers.

Yeah I heard that. Spanton mentioned in passing during the halftime show v. USA something about Romania coming up. I assumed he was told something about the November schedule as part of his prep for the June tour.

Latest posts