• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Canadian June Test Matches

That's the only way you really develop someone though.

It's either preservation (of their jobs, hence not picking a 'weaker' 10) or progression. They can't pick both.
I would agree with this somewhat, but putting a new player at 10 in a weak side probably won't end well for him, and do little for development. Confidence issues would arise and another player discarded.

I would agree with this somewhat, but putting a new player at 10 in a weak side probably won't end well for him, and do little for development. Confidence issues would arise and another player discarded.
Maybe, maybe not.

Perhaps the perfect balance would be to still pick and develop that 10 against stronger sides, but still be able to play him agaisnt 'weaker' teams.

Then again, that doesn't have to be against teams like Canada (which I happen to think are pretty good anyway). In the case of Italy, what was wrong with playing against other lower ranked European based teams?

Maybe, maybe not.

Perhaps the perfect balance would be to still pick and develop that 10 against stronger sides, but still be able to play him agaisnt 'weaker' teams.

Then again, that doesn't have to be against teams like Canada (which I happen to think are pretty good anyway). In the case of Italy, what was wrong with playing against other lower ranked European based teams?
Yes, I agree with pretty much all of this. I would like to see some more matches against the likes of Russia, Georgia, et al. Good opportunity for the proposed Wales A side.

I know its crazy. It seemed that nobody in Canadian rugby circles really ever talked about this guy, but I always enjoyed watching him play and it seems he has gone from strength to strength when some of our supposed "Next Big Things" have faltered.

I got a thread started on this in the Super Rugby part of the forum but I think it kind of got lost in the activity of that section, Jebb is coming in off the bench this week at #19, I can't wait to see him in action.

@ Rugger completely agreed Jebb has improved his game everywhere he has played and right now has to be ranked in our top 3 players alongside DTH and Cudmore. Jebb will be returning for June as well like Rusty pointed out, and Jebb said he is part of the tour squad.

I really think that this will bode well for others on the Canadian side. The more players that we have playing at the highest level making a name for themselves the more likely it is that team will look to Canada as a potential area for recruiting.

I really think that this will bode well for others on the Canadian side. The more players that we have playing at the highest level making a name for themselves the more likely it is that team will look to Canada as a potential area for recruiting.

Perfectly said Rusty.

Huge news coming out of the Italian camp as Sergio Parisse has been ruled out of the June tour with a thigh injury....I have very mixed feelings, as I really wanted to see him live in person and I'm seated in the front row near the Italian bench. Also I was hoping to see how Sinclair would match up against him....on a positive note Canada's chances of winning probably just went up a good 5% if not more.

Erm are they playing a match against Argentina as well who in turn is hosting France in a 2 test series?

A possible XV to face Italy could therefore be as follows:

15 Juan Imhoff (Racing Métro, France)
14 Gonzalo Camacho (Exeter Chiefs, England)
13 Marcelo Bosch (Biarritz, France)
12 Benjamin Urdapilleta (Harlequins, England)
11 Horacio Agulla (Leicester Tigers, France)
10 Juan Martín Hernández (Racing Métro, France)
9 Agustín Figuerola (Brive, France)
8 Leonardo Senatore (Toulon, France)
7 Juan Manuel Leguizamón (Lyon, France)
6 Juan Martín Fernández Lobbe (Toulon, France)
5 Mariano Galarza (Los Pampas XV)
4 Manuel Carizza (Biarritz, France)
3 Francisco Gomez Kodela (Biarritz, France)
2 Andres Bordoy (Pau, France)
1 Marcos Ayerza (Leicester Tigers, England)

Reserves

16 Matias Corteza (Gloucester, England)
17 Juan Orlandi (Racing Métro, France)
18 Tomás Vallejos Cinalli (Harlequins, England)
19 Julio Farías Carbello (Los Pampas XV)
20 Martín Landajo (Los Pampas XV)
21 Ignacio Mieres (Exeter Chiefs, England)
22 Belisario Agulla (Agen, France)

Unavaliable: Lucas González Amorosino, Maximilano Bustos, Martín Bustos Moyano, Felipe Contepomi, Agustín Creevy, Santiago Fernández, Juan Figallo, Martín Rodríguez Gurruchaga, Rodrigo Roncero, Gonzalo Tiesi and Francisco Nahul Tetaz.

June 2012 - Argentina´s Home Tests
June 9: Argentina vs Italy
June 16: Argentina vs France
June 23: Argentina vs France

Last edited:
I think Canada at full strength will have a good shot at beating Italy with those missing players. Especially since Italy will have to travel up to Canada from Argentina and play Friday night instead of Saturday.

I'm going off of a twitter conversation here but it looks like Cudmore will not be returning to Canada for the June tests, due to the Top 14 playoffs and family reasons. Ryan Hamilton asked if he would be and Cudmore responded by saying that he wished he could but wasn't able to. This isn't that much of a surprise although a bit of a blow, and of course I may have misinterpreted the conversation, or Cudmore could change his mind.

I'd love to see Hotson get the start, not sure if you move Jebb Sinclair into the 2nd row or try to keep him at his specialty #8, we'll have to see who Crowley goes with in the tour lineup. and how the pieces of the puzzle fit.

That is not a huge surprise. JC has rarely made himself available for the June internationals as the T14 playoffs always run so late and Clermont is usually in it right until the bitter end. This years final, which JC will likely feature in, is scheduled for June 9.

Here is the Italy squad

Loosehead props: Alberto de Marchi (Aironi), Michele Rizzo (Treviso)
Hookers: Tommaso D'Apice (Aironi), Carlo Festuccia (Crociati), Davide Giazzon (Rovigo)
Tighthead props: Lorenzo Romano (Aironi), Martín Castrogiovanni (Leicester)
Locks: Marco Bortolami (Aironi), Marco Fuser (Mogliano), Joshua Furno (Aironi), Antonio Pavanello (Treviso)
Flankers: Mauro Bergamasco (Aironi), Simone Favaro (Aironi), Francesco Minto (Treviso), Alessandro Zanni (Treviso)
Number 8's: Roberto Barbieri (Treviso), Sergio Parisse (Stade Français)*
Scrum Halves: ***o Tebaldi (Aironi), Edoardo Gori (Treviso)
Fly Halves: Riccardo Bocchino (Cavalieri Prato), Kris Burton (Treviso)
Centres: Tommaso Benvenuti (Treviso), Luca Morisi (Crociati), Andrea Pratichetti (Treviso), Alberto Sgarbi (Treviso), Roberto Quartaroli (Aironi)
Wingers: Giulio Toniolatti (Aironi), Giovanbattista Venditti (Aironi)
Full Backs: Alberto Benettin (Aironi), Luke McLean (Treviso)

* Parisse is travelling injured just to be with the team, if he can regain fitness early and play it's a bonus for them

Unavailable due to the Top 14 playoffs:
Loosehead prop: Andrea Lo Cicero (Racing-Métro)
Centre: Gonzalo Canale (Clermont)
Wing: Mirco Bergamasco (Racing-Métro)

Injured:
Hooker:
Leonardo Ghiraldini (Treviso)
Flanker: Paul Derbyshire (Treviso)
Number 8: Manoa Vosawai (Treviso)
Fly Half: Tobias Botes (Treviso)
Full Back: Andrea Masi (Aironi)

Dropped from the 6 Nations squad:
Tighthead prop: Lorenzo Cittadini (Treviso), Fabio Staibano (Aironi)
Lock: Carlo Antonio del Fava (Aironi), Quintin Geldenhuys (Aironi), Corniel van Zyl (Treviso)
Scrum Half: Fabio Semenzato (Treviso)
Fly Half: Luciano Orquera (Aironi)
Wing: Angelo Esposito (Tarvisium)

Right... therefore...

1 de Marchi
2 D´Apice
3 Castro
4 Pavanello
5 Bortolami
6 Favaro
7 Zanni
8 Barbieri
9 Gori
10 Burton
11 Toniolatti
12 Sgarbi
13 Benvenuti
14 Vendetti
15 Masi

Canada could beat this team in theory. Now that would be something!

Crowley has neamd the team guys and I don't have much time here at lunch so I'll just post the roster and add thoughts later. There are some players out injured eg. Taylor Paris and Ander Monro, others are unavialable.

Roster - NAME - CLUB TEAM (HOMETOWN)
1. Ryan Hamilton – BC CRC Team (West Vancouver, BC)
2. Mike Pletch – Ontario Blues (Lucan, ON)
3. Hubert Buydens – Prairie Wolf Pack (Saskatoon, SK)
4. Doug Woolridge – Ontario Blues (Lindsay, ON)
5. Tom Dolezel – Ontario Blues (London, ON)
6. Andrew Tiedemann – Prairie Wolf Pack (St. Albert, AB )
7. Jon Phelan – The Rock (Montreal, QC)
8. Tyler Hotson – Plymouth Albion (Vancouver, BC)
9. Brett Beukeboom – Ontario Blues (Lindsay, ON)
10. Jebb Sinclair - DHL Stormers (Charters Settlement, NB )
11. Chauncey O'Toole – The Rock (Belleisle, NB )
12. Nanyak Dala – Prairie Wolf Pack (Saskatoon, SK)
13. Aaron Carpenter – Plymouth Albion (Brantford, ON)
14. Tyler Ardron – Ontario Blues (Lakefield, ON)
15. Sean White – BC CRC Team (Victoria, BC)
16. Ed Fairhurst – BC CRC Team (Vancouver, BC)
17. Connor Braid – BC CRC Team (Victoria, BC)
18. Matt Evans – Cornish Pirates (Duncan, BC)
19. DTH Van der Merwe – Glasgow Warriors (Victoria, BC)
20. Mike Scholz – Ontario Blues (Oakville, ON)
21. Conor Trainor – BC CRC Team (Vancouver, BC)
22. Sean Duke – BC CRC Team (Vancouver, BC)
23. Jeff Hassler –Prairie Wolf Pack (Okotoks, AB )
24. Ciaran Hearn – The Rock (Conception Bay, NL)
25. Phil Mackenzie – Esher RFC (Oakville, ON)
26. James Pritchard – Bedford Blues (Parkes, NSW, Australia)
27. Jamie Mackenzie - Esher RFC (Oakville, ON)

Last edited:
Interesting selections...

I'm gutted that Monro, Kleeberger, Cudmore, and Marshall aren't included as they are the best players we have in their respective positions. Obviously it will be a hell of a lot tougher beating Italy without them, but hopefully the new selections get some valuable game time. Of the players selected, I think the best possible mix to win is as follows:

1) Buydens
2) Hamilton
3) Tiedemann
4) Hotson
5) Beukeboom
6) Sinclair
7) O' Toole
8) Carpenter

9) Fairhurst
10) Evans
11) Mackenzie
12) Trainor
13) DTH
14) Duke
15) Pritchard

16) Pletch
17) Woolridge
18) Dala
19) Ardron
20) White
21) Braid
22) Hearn

Evans always looked good as a flyhalf (and played very good in that position against the Saxons a few years ago when he notched a fine try) and with a lot of other quality players in the backline, he's probably a better option than an untested Braid. It's difficult not to have Sinclair at number eight as well, but it's hard to justify having Carpenter play another position or start on the bench.

Crowley has neamd the team guys and I don't have much time here at lunch so I'll just post the roster and add thoughts later. There are some players out injured eg. Taylor Paris and Ander Monro, others are unavialable.

Roster - NAME - CLUB TEAM (HOMETOWN)
1. Ryan Hamilton – BC CRC Team (West Vancouver, BC)
2. Mike Pletch – Ontario Blues (Lucan, ON)
3. Hubert Buydens – Prairie Wolf Pack (Saskatoon, SK)
4. Doug Woolridge – Ontario Blues (Lindsay, ON)
5. Tom Dolezel – Ontario Blues (London, ON)
6. Andrew Tiedemann – Prairie Wolf Pack (St. Albert, AB )
7. Jon Phelan – The Rock (Montreal, QC)
8. Tyler Hotson – Plymouth Albion (Vancouver, BC)
9. Brett Beukeboom – Ontario Blues (Lindsay, ON)
10. Jebb Sinclair - DHL Stormers (Charters Settlement, NB )
11. Chauncey O'Toole – The Rock (Belleisle, NB )
12. Nanyak Dala – Prairie Wolf Pack (Saskatoon, SK)
13. Aaron Carpenter – Plymouth Albion (Brantford, ON)
14. Tyler Ardron – Ontario Blues (Lakefield, ON)
15. Sean White – BC CRC Team (Victoria, BC)
16. Ed Fairhurst – BC CRC Team (Vancouver, BC)
17. Connor Braid – BC CRC Team (Victoria, BC)
18. Matt Evans – Cornish Pirates (Duncan, BC)
19. DTH Van der Merwe – Glasgow Warriors (Victoria, BC)
20. Mike Scholz – Ontario Blues (Oakville, ON)
21. Conor Trainor – BC CRC Team (Vancouver, BC)
22. Sean Duke – BC CRC Team (Vancouver, BC)
23. Jeff Hassler –Prairie Wolf Pack (Okotoks, AB )
24. Ciaran Hearn – The Rock (Conception Bay, NL)
25. Phil Mackenzie – Esher RFC (Oakville, ON)
26. James Pritchard – Bedford Blues (Parkes, NSW, Australia)
27. Jamie Mackenzie - Esher RFC (Oakville, ON)

Not ideal but could be a lot worse. I would go for...

15 Evans
14 MacKenzie
13 van der Merwe
12 Trainor
11 Hearn
10 Braid
9 White
8 Carpenter
7 O´Toole
6 Dala
5 Sinclair
4 Hotson
3 Tiedemann
2 Hamilton
1 Buydens

Hey guys finally finished planting for the day, and I agree with you CDN_Rugby a few notable absenses.

Monro will be especially missed since Hirayama is out of action as well and this leaves us very short at #10 it also leaves us a little short in the drop goal option something that might be crucial in what could be tight games. I like Evans in there, maybe Braid in one of the games versus the States or Georgia. His Edness might actually be the third sting FH in this lineup, or maybe Pritch in an emergency. I wonder if Ed will be available for all three games or whether(as frequently happens) he will be unavailable for one or two games due to work commitments.Mackenzie is anice bench option if this is the case

Kleeberger is a loss as well but thankfully we have depth coming out of the woodwork in the backrow. Ardron seems to improve every time I see him and has played in the 7's squad, I'm pleased to see him in here.

I would have liked to see Barkwill get in the team but I'm not devastated by Pletch being included as long as Hamilton starts(or loses that via poor performance).

One area I'm slightly worried about is goalkicking if Pritch gets hurt or is substituted, I'm guessing Hearn and Braid will be the 2nd string kickers, with Ed available in an emergency.

I'm also torn as you guys are about where to start Jebb, he has to be in the team clearly, but probably has to be out of position as Carpenter is too valuble to be on the bench.

Edit: I think Pritchard has to start Melhor, in fact I probably would try to have him on the field for the whole three games for his goal kicking will be crucial and I don't really see anyone better in the lineup.

Last edited:

Latest posts