• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Coming Out

D

dalamin

Chances are there are a number of Gay/Bi players in the game.

Were they to 'come out' would that create problems for them?

Would your perception of a player be altered if he was gay?

My personal view is that I would admire any player who did 'come out' and I would consider him a very strong character to do that.

My perception of player wouldn't change at all.

I myself am not gay, nor do I know anyone who is gay, it really doesn't bother me. My views, however, might change when I'm actually around a gay man (could be a tad awkward?), but overall who cares?

I'd say John Hopoate would be gay or at least bi. :p

I think he is a boxer now though so that doesn't count.

Is there anything the thread starter would like to tell us? We'll all be understanding about it.

Yeah, Nigel Owen's, there was a bit of noise when he was appointed to do the Tri Nations finale last year, turned out to be the only decently reffed game in the whole stinkin' tournament.

I'd say John Hopoate would be gay or at least bi. :p

I think he is a boxer now though so that doesn't count. [/b]

you see, thats the comment that sums it up. though it was a joke, the fact is, that people in rugby will fear it because of what hopoate did. the moment a gay rugby player plays, and has the slightest nudge of the wrong place (what are the odds of it being a lock?) there will be so much debate and media coverage of it that they will be forced into retirement. as much as people praise gay rights etc, the simple fact is that the world is not ready for it. especailly in testostirone filled envoroments like this. pc - no. but lets face it. if a gay rugby player wrapped his arm around you in a scrum, would you be 100% comfortable? i think not. people will joke about you liking him etc. there will always be a slight doubt in your mind. its human nature.

I used to play rugby with an openly Gay guy, if it wasn't for the fact that he came out in training one day, we would never have known. The guy was built like brick shithouse and could play a decent game of Rugby... A couple of the lads in my team were off with him initally but he comfronted them and asked them whether they had an issue with his sexuality, which they responded to Yes, he turned round and said Look if your scared of my sexuality you need to consider your own sexuality, and plus your just not my type...

To be honest in the modern world with civil parnerships and all these gay rights we shouldn't think anything of it, but unfortunately it still stems arguements and disagreements. Whatever your views you need to respect the decision of others, it is their life choice and also you should admire the courage and bravery that it takes to admit that...

I am sure there are a few Gay players in high level rugby, whether they want their sexuality to broadcast is their choice...

You may not have realised it but if you play a team game you'll have been in close contact with a number of gay players and, horror of horrors will have showered with them at some point.

And what about those homo-erotic initiations?

wasn't there an openly gay manly sea eagles player in league back in the 80's or 90's

ian robertson?

ahh ok... i think he did a spread in a gay magazine before he came out though, and everyone said "OMGWTFRUGAY?" but he obviously denied it until he retired then.

You may not have realised it but if you play a team game you'll have been in close contact with a number of gay players and, horror of horrors will have showered with them at some point.

And what about those homo-erotic initiations? [/b]

Yes, chances are we have played rugby with some gay players over the years of playing rugby, no it doesn't worry me. Yes, we will have showered with them, no I don't care. Gay people are mostly good sorts same as everyone else. There are also a lot of idiots in amongst them too, just like with straight people. The most common kind are the "We must confront you openly about our sexuality, by mauling each other in public, in brazen ways most straight people wouldn't dare". I get just as annoyed with them as I do the occasional straight couple mauling each other in public. Get a room is a very appropriate term.

The other annoying type of gay is the one who'll won't shut up about what it's like to be gay. If you want to be considered normal then stop making a huge deal about it.

Thank goodness that some of the ones I've met have been very normal people who keep their private lives to themselves as most people, gay or straight, should.

And yes, what about those homo-erotic initiations? That's a load of rubbish, initiations are only "homo-erotic" if you want them to be. Sad attempt at being clever there. They might be "homo-erotic" to you, possibly because you are gay? Or are you not one for coming out?

If he came out, I'd just show him a picture of some boobs and I'm pretty sure he'd straighten back out.
I think that's a scientific fact I read somewhere.
gemma-bikini-celeb431x300.jpg

This is for you Dalamer...

:D

If he came out, I'd just show him a picture of some boobs and I'm pretty sure he'd straighten back out.

[/b]

nice tatas there - splendid shot.

personally, i play on a rugby team where the majority of players are gay - and it's not an issue - they're as tough and feisty a bunch of players as I've ever met, as far as off-field banter and jokes - we take turns grossing each other out.

one of the great things about rugby is that it attracts people from all walks of life - political, social, ethnic, economic, religious, etc etc etc.

329395.jpg
<embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/8tJ09XhaB4E&hl=en&color1=0x234900&color2=0x4e9e00" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed>
329395.jpg

surely you aren't suggesting....we were all promised the eyeliner would be the end of it!

While I have no problems with guys and gals who happen to like teh cock/carpet respectively and count many as best friends/former luvers, I do find homosexuality impeccably funny.

For example, hey! BLR!

1201717590855.jpg

[/b]

that is a very fine specimen. Why do we never see chicks like that in the streets... damn it...

now back to the subject: I have flatted with a gay guy back in Edinburgh, was kinda the first experience i had of living so close to a gay guy 24/7, and guess what - no awkward moments, as CA Iversen rightly said - gay or straight: there are weirdoes everywhere but personal choice of life shouldn't be a reason for hate.