• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Do the northern hemisphere teams have any advantages?

Apologies in advance for ignoring most of the above posts, in my own style!

The NH teams played the last World Cup better from a tactical perspective. Usually World Cup games are more conservative in terms of flair (unless your name is Carlos Spencer), and that plays in to our advantage. England beat Australia by way of the scrum and superior forward play, our backs were about as inventive as Modern Warfare 2 that day but it simply didn't matter because we literally forced Australia to concede penalties. France beat New Zealand because they adapted to play a kicking game, frustrating the All Blacks in to making mistakes. Looking at the possession stats, they should have mauled France, but they cracked under the pressure of facing an unfamiliar game.

We must remember the context - on a "regular" friendly game, Australia would have beaten England and New Zealand would actually have mauled France. Look at the way England were crushed horrifically by South Africa in the "pressure off" group stage, and contrast it to the way they were inches away from winning in the final just a few weeks later.

Its off topic but you cant compare Shane Williams to Jason Robinson (JPR maybe, Shane no). One was a Welsh legend, the other was a Rugby Legend. Robinson is one of the best players to play the game.

I actually agree, I just didn't fancy getting lynched by the Welsh contingent on here :p

I actually agree, I just didn't fancy getting lynched by the Welsh contingent on here :p
Meh, anyone who thinks Shame Williams is comparable to Jason Robinson has already been locked up. I think you'll be safe.

I meant more that I was interrupting the Shane Williams/Jason Robinson convo and answering the thread ***le...
Which is actually fair enough. A damn shame though, I'll have to find someone else to argue with now.

Shane Williams got world player of the year. Look at his try scoring record. Hes past it now but lets not forget how good he was in his prime when he could win games on his own.

Apologies in advance for ignoring most of the above posts, in my own style!

The NH teams played the last World Cup better from a tactical perspective. Usually World Cup games are more conservative in terms of flair (unless your name is Carlos Spencer), and that plays in to our advantage. England beat Australia by way of the scrum and superior forward play, our backs were about as inventive as Modern Warfare 2 that day but it simply didn't matter because we literally forced Australia to concede penalties. France beat New Zealand because they adapted to play a kicking game, frustrating the All Blacks in to making mistakes. Looking at the possession stats, they should have mauled France, but they cracked under the pressure of facing an unfamiliar game.

We must remember the context - on a "regular" friendly game, Australia would have beaten England and New Zealand would actually have mauled France. Look at the way England were crushed horrifically by South Africa in the "pressure off" group stage, and contrast it to the way they were inches away from winning in the final just a few weeks later.

Good post! People seem to forget that pressure plays a big part in sport and the hot favourites in the WC will be under immense pressure. I think thats the main reason NZ has picked an experienced side while I think Australias inexperience could count against them.

Shane Williams got world player of the year. Look at his try scoring record. Hes past it now but lets not forget how good he was in his prime when he could win games on his own.

No one is saying he's a bad player, but come on....it's Jason f'in Robinson!

I didn't realise Ireland were supposed to have really good defence

Best of the home nations is probably Wales at the moment

IrelAnd conceded 4 tries in the 6nations one of those illegal and the other an intercept compared to Wales 8. We also only conceded two in the two warm up matches where Earls wasn't playing and earls is about as good at defending as an automatic door. We do give away too much penalties though which has lost us a lot of matches recently.

IrelAnd conceded 4 tries in the 6nations one of those illegal and the other an intercept compared to Wales 8. We also only conceded two in the two warm up matches where Earls wasn't playing and earls is about as good at defending as an automatic door. We do give away too much penalties though which has lost us a lot of matches recently.

I'll admit I dont know near enough about Irish or Scotland rugby. After watching matches against them last year when we toured gave me the impression that they don't have any thing on attack and may be caught out

Oh, that wasn't aimed at you that was for that ******* Olyy who was saying Wales are better than us at something. :) I'd agree that Scotland don't have much of an attacking threat seen as they've scored about three tries in the last 15 years :lol: but when Ireland played you last year the All Blacks went up to a level only they can reach, Dan Carter had one of the best individual performances ever to top it off, that game gave me the opinion Dan Carter was the second best player ever. (After James O'Connor :D)

Oh, that wasn't aimed at you that was for that ******* Olyy who was saying Wales are better than us at something. :) I'd agree that Scotland don't have much of an attacking threat seen as they've scored about three tries in the last 15 years :lol: but when Ireland played you last year the All Blacks went up to a level only they can reach, Dan Carter had one of the best individual performances ever to top it off, that game gave me the opinion Dan Carter was the second best player ever. (After James O'Connor :D)

Has to learn to get up on time though :p.

I dont think NH teams have any advantage over NZ, ARG, AUS, RSA teams

Instead, RWC runs in SH and (I dont even comment about ABs motivation level) Southern Teams feel more comfortable I think

it's funny england are crap for the 3 years in between the world cup and ireland are good for those three years and then suddenley england are amazing and ireland under preform come world cup time and make david haye like excuses.

tempting fate to knock argentina before the first game, but they cant be considered in the same light as the 3 major sh teams
their front row gives away far too many pens & their squad for this world cup doesnt compare to previous ones
scrum half in particular is a position they have struggled to fill

an advantage over sh teams? well over fiji, samoa, tonga & samoa, yes, over the three big guns? we'll see

fwiw wales recent form has shown a steely defence - look at the warm up game against england at cardiff
whereas ireland have struggled in all their warm up games
either way cant see either of them getting a drubing in the pool games

this japan game is quite a surprise mind

yeah, all those big three teams SA, AUS, NZ are not easy to have advantages over them in SH or in NH or on the moon too