• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Do the northern hemisphere teams have any advantages?

At that time these guys (especially Kirschner) were not that much criticized. And yeah, you lost because of the forwards :p.

But I remember reading the newspaper at that time, and it was still the almighty bok team (that hammered England at twickenham just one year before, and that didn't lose any single game since the world cup) that won the RWC, and they said something like "boks are able to unleash hell with their backline".

Anyway you can hardly say this is not a top SA backline.

Argh!
Annoys me when people who obviously didn't watch England in that era say things like that - we had a truly world class set of backs, but they get completely disregarded all the time, despite playing pretty much as big a role in the forwards
England were a complete unit, not just a team playing 10man rugby and grinding out wins

Same goes for South Africa in 2007. All you hear people say is how they won the final without scoring a try blablabla and that their gameplan doesn't allow them to score tries but they seem to forget the 36-0 (incl. 3 tries) in the group stages against England among other matches. Habana scoring 4 on his own against Samoa and so on and so on

Argh!
Annoys me when people who obviously didn't watch England in that era say things like that - we had a truly world class set of backs, but they get completely disregarded all the time, despite playing pretty much as big a role in the forwards
England were a complete unit, not just a team playing 10man rugby and grinding out wins

I'm taking a risk replying to this. It's probably flame-bait. Nobody outscores the kiwis for tries. Both NZ and Aus outscore any other teams in world cups. Sometimes France are up close. NZ are way ahead of everyone else. Lewsey was the only truly world class back England produced in that era, and there were legions of Aussie and Kiwi backs that were better. I'm sorry if you see that era differently than I do. I can't alter my perspective. My opinion stands. The only way NH teams have beaten SH teams (in the world cup) is by attrition and efficiency, and discipline. I watched the last couple of world cups btw. I wasn't sleeping under a rock. I'm just trying to answer the OP's question, and I have.

Last edited:
I'm taking a risk replying to this. It's probably flame-bait. Nobody outscores the kiwis for tries. Both NZ and Aus outscore any other teams in world cups. Sometimes France are up close. NZ are way ahead of everyone else. Lewsey was the only truly world class back England produced in that era, and there were legions of Aussie and Kiwi backs that were better. I'm sorry if you see that era differently than I do. I can't alter my perspective. My opinion stands. The only way NH teams have beaten SH teams (in the world cup) is by attrition and efficiency, and discipline. I watched the last couple of world cups btw. I wasn't sleeping under a rock. I'm just trying to answer the OP's question, and I have.
Dawson? Greenwood? Robinson? Cohen?

Worst. Troll. Ever.

Worst. Troll. Ever.

Yes, you're trolling. I'd give you Greenwood as he's the only one that could touch Lewsey. But he was a centre so that really just backs up my point about attrition.

Worst. Troll. Ever.

Never liked Cohen, though I guess my view of him was kinda spoilt by the hissy fit he threw when he wasnt given the Northampton captaincy...
But yeah, agree with Olyy, England did have some very classy backs who were capable of doing something from nothing. Just look at Greenwoods try vs Wales in the 2003 quarter final. Pains me to say, but that was a cracking try! :p though still say if Iestyn Harris had kicked his bloody penalties and conversions we'd have probably won that match.

Yes, you're trolling. I'd give you Greenwood as he's the only one that could touch Lewsey. But he was a centre so that really just backs up my point about attrition.
Oh my days, you're actually giving me a headache.

Whenever I read anything you type, all I see/hear is this:

Last edited by a moderator:
Same goes for South Africa in 2007. All you hear people say is how they won the final without scoring a try blablabla and that their gameplan doesn't allow them to score tries but they seem to forget the 36-0 (incl. 3 tries) in the group stages against England among other matches. Habana scoring 4 on his own against Samoa and so on and so on

and to add to this, Habana equalled Jonah Lomu's record for most tries scored in a world cup tournament with 8.

Apart from the Final, the Springboks scored in every game

and to add to this, Habana equalled Jonah Lomu's record for most tries scored in a world cup tournament with 8.

Haters gonna hate, I suppose
Boks were a force to behold in that era, and 07 was when Habana was at his best, imo, and was probably the best winger in world rugby

Just because a team is able to grind out a win doesn't mean it's all they can do

well said.
@ TRF_Olly - ooh, that's creepy! :)
I've already made my feelings about you clear:

Can we drop it? Damn

Last edited by a moderator:
Haters gonna hate, I suppose
Boks were a force to behold in that era, and 07 was when Habana was at his best, imo, and was probably the best winger in world rugby

Just because a team is able to grind out a win doesn't mean it's all they can do

I'm not hating at all, i'm just saying that people seem to be very narrow-sighted with their views on certain teams...

I have to agree with some you said as i think Jason Robinson was one of the best players ever!! it was also a pity he got a hamstring in the first game of the previous world cup vs. the boks, as he could've made a huge difference in the final.

vs. Samoa: 59-7 with 8 tries
vs. England: 36-0 with 3 tries
vs. Tonga: 30-25 with 4 tries
vs. USA: 64-15 with 9 tries
vs. Fiji: 37-20 with 5 tries
vs. Argentina: 37-13 with 4 tries

That's 33 tries in 6 matches which is an average of more than 5 per game. Including the try-less final, still gives them an average of more than 4 tries per game.

England only scored 12 tries during the whole tournament.

In 2003, England scored a bunch of tries almost equal to South Africa in '07

vs. Georgia: 84-6 with 12 tries
vs. South Africa: 6-25 with 1 try
vs. Samoa: 35-22 with 4 tries (okay, 1 was a penalty try, but still 4 tries)
vs. Uruguay: 111-13 with 17 tries
vs. Wales: 28-17 with 1 try
vs. France: 7-24 *no try*
vs. Australia: 17-20 with 1 try

That still is 36 tries in 7 matches, an average of more than 5 per game.

England and South Africa might not score 50 or 60 tries during the World Cup like New Zealand does, but at least we don't get carried away after walk-overs and get knocked out despite high expectations ;)

I'm not hating at all, i'm just saying that people seem to be very narrow-sighted with their views on certain teams...

I have to agree with some you said as i think Jason Robinson was one of the best players ever!! it was also a pity he got a hamstring in the first game of the previous world cup vs. the boks, as he could've made a huge difference in the final.
You can't say anything without being team-raped by trolls. I started what - the thread - I didn't.
The question was, what advantage do NH teams have if any? We never outscore them with tries in any WC. I was pointing out that the only advantagge, if any, we have is being better at discipline, efficiency, attrition etc. Jees, just making a point, not trying to attract too much attention.

I wasn't aiming it at you at all, I was agreeing with you :D

I was saying Calculon is, he's pretty much the definition of an internet troll: Posts uninformed and ignorant opinions, then when he gets called out starts shouting "UR A TROL" etc. at everyone else - He does it with the intent of riling people up, and I'll admit that I bit for his first post.
I wonder if we went through his posts how many would be ripping into the English? :lol:

Last edited:

WHAT?! Robinson is the greatest attacking running the NH has produced in the proffesional era. Greenwood the best centre in the proffesional era, yes I did just say he'd own O'Driscoll.

*counted to ten* :p He's just a troll.

Last edited:
Ireland really is in an all-or-nothing place right now. Big names like O'Driscoll, O'Connell, O'Gara, O'Callaghan and D'Arcy really want to shine on, what will likely be, their last chance at eternal glory.

I am not sure if they can upset Australia, but in a match against Wales/South Africa... Who knows what might happen...

WHAT?! Robinson is the greatest attacking running the NH has produced in the proffesional era. Greenwood the best centre in the proffesional era, yes I did just say he'd own O'Driscoll.
@ JW you're creepy in a similar way to the T.R.oll.F'ers.
I disagree. I think if O'Driscoll was plying for England in that era, he would have completely owned. He was the best in the Lions team of that era IMO. It's a pity that he has a better team around him now, that he's a bit older.

@TRF_Ezequiel
Ireland should have more senior players than ever before coming through over the next few years. The big question is, will any of them be any good. I'm not so sure.

Last edited:
I'd rather have Shane Williams and O'Driscoll proved he was better than Greenwood in the 2001 Lions tour and countless times after that.

Latest posts