• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Do the northern hemisphere teams have any advantages?

profitius

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
Ireland
Club or Nation
Munster
We've all heard about NH teams having little or no chance to win the world cup because the SH teams are better but does the NH teams have any advantages that people are not seeing?

One advantage I see is they're more used to playing knockout rugby competitions. The HEC is do or die and you can only afford to lose 1 game in the group stage if you want to win it.

The pre season of the NH teams is talked about being a disadvantage and probably rightly so but the freshness can be an advantage.

Another could be the weather conditions. Although NZ team is used to them they would prefer dry conditions coming up against the likes of England.

I'd say no as well, especially for sides like France and Italy who do not have the same weather conditions and who do not speak the same language. (And this is a major drawback)

And then you have referees. But we would need to open a whole new topic to debate about NH/SH difference on this point.

Do the NH teams have any advantages? No
Do the NH teams have a chance at winning the World Cup? Yes

I think especially England and France should be considered serious contenders. Both have already played a World Cup final in that part of the world, so why not?

I don't think they have any real chances. England looks like the strongest NH contender but I still think they are a few steps back from the SH countries. SA and NZ can beat them on any conditions but I can see them beating AUS given a wet day.

If France beat England, then I can't see Australia winning against France. They'll get hammered in scrums, our forwards are much stronger, and with a first string team and 4 months of preparation what happened in last September will never happen again.

It's hard to know. We'll find out! The only way it's been done so far is by England - by using disciplined forwards to push'em back, force penalties, and set up drop goals - bleeding them dry essentially. It's arguable that England were more disciplined in defense and better at attrition than the SH teams, certainly more efficient, so that was their advantage. In a way the AB's were the least efficient in the past - outscoring everyone in the try department but getting far less DG's and penalties, and caving for some games. But now they have Carter, and honestly the only thing that can stop them is themselves, or maybe the Aussies, but who knows? I don't think the Saffers can beat them right now either.

If France beat England, then I can't see Australia winning against France. They'll get hammered in scrums, our forwards are much stronger, and with a first string team and 4 months of preparation what happened in last September will never happen again.

They'd rape you with their backs. C'mon. Aussie forwards are not weak by any means - at all.. France could win of course but you'd be underdogs and rightfully

Last edited:
They'd rape you with their backs. C'mon
Yeah the same way Blacks and Boks were supposed to rape us with their backs in the past. A back line with the likes of Parra, Trinh Duc, Clerc, Mermoz, Rougerie, Medard and Heymans is strong enough to do something against the aussies.

I'm not underestimating the aussies tho.

Mermoz and Rougerie aren't big names like O'Connor, Cooper etc... but every single time they played together they outplayed the opposition. The only problem is Mermoz, who is the most injury-prone player in the world !

Bear in mind that because of injuries/Lievremont's choices, France has never been able to play with a full strength XV.

Last edited:
Yeah the same way Blacks and Boks were supposed to rape us with their backs in the past. A back line with the likes of Parra, Trinh Duc, Clerc, Mermoz, Rougerie, Medard and Heymans is strong enough to do something against the aussies.

Mermoz and Rougerie aren't big names like O'Connor, Cooper etc... but every single time they played together they outplayed the opposition. The only problem is Mermoz, who is the most injury-prone player in the world !
The French backs would have to be at their very best to beat them.
It's the intensity of SH teams that's the problem. Beale and co. would be picking away at you for 80 mins and giving you hell - in a way only SH teams seem to do well - u know what I mean. But, France are very dangerous, no question.

Bear in mind that because of injuries/Lievremont's choices, France has never been able to play with a full strength XV.

Did I miss something?

@ Calculon : I see what you mean, and I 100% agree with you.

@stormer

I was thinking about november 2009 (end of the year tour), when the Boks played with Kirchner; Pietersen, Fourie,Jacobs, Habana, Steyn and F Du Preez.

Every team could say that. ifs buts and maybes. France have a good record against the Boks though,especially at home..but you were beaten badly by them in your last test game in SA. The world cup is different I know. I'd back France for it IF you brought your A game.

We are superior. Just joking.. ;) But we are though.

The only thing I can think off is for England that our scrum is stronger than NZ and Australia (And we have ''Zhe Jonny Wilkinson, who if England get to the final or win it with him must become 'Sir' Wilkinson :p). Plus Wales,Ireland,Scotland and England will be used to the wet conditions more so than say Australia,SA and Argentina.

@ Calculon : I see what you mean, and I 100% agree with you.

@stormer

I was thinking about november 2009 (end of the year tour), when the Boks played withKirchner; Pietersen, Fourie,Jacobs, Habana, Steyn and F Du Preez.

Kirschner and Jacobs! Are you sure the person didn't say SA was gonna get raped in the backs? Funny enough it was the forwards who lost that game IMO.

The only way it's been done so far is by England - by using disciplined forwards to push'em back, force penalties, and set up drop goals - bleeding them dry essentially.

Argh!
Annoys me when people who obviously didn't watch England in that era say things like that - we had a truly world class set of backs, but they get completely disregarded all the time, despite playing pretty much as big a role in the forwards
England were a complete unit, not just a team playing 10man rugby and grinding out wins

Last edited:
Hate to be Captain Obvious, but...

Of course the Northern Hemisphere has an advantage.

There are more Northern Hemisphere countries in the world cup than Southern hemisphere ones!

So... Did. I. Foorget to mentionnn, the answer to your questionnn, yes it's true, from a certain point of vieewwwww!!!

Latest posts