• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Didn't see that. Annoying as I genuinely thought this was his opportunity.
Yeah Jones clearly just doesn't fancy him..maybe too similar age wise to LCD and Jamie George and gamewise he plays similar to Jamie George.

He wants a younger 3rd choice and you can't disagree with that really. Just hope Blamire can really develop his core hooking skills...to go with his Explosive open field stuff.

Maybe McGuigan should have gone to Ireland...

1. Davison, Goodrick-Clarke, Rodd
2. Blamire, Singleton, Walker
3. Collier, Schickerling, Stuart
4/5: Ewels, Hill
6/7: Curry, Hill, Jeffries, Lawes, Ludlam, Underhill, Willis
8. Chick, Dombrandt
9. Care, Mitchell, Randall
10. Bailey, Smith
12. Atkinson
13. Dingwall, Joseph, Marchant
11/14: Cokanasiga, Hassell-Collins, May, Nowell, Radwan
15. Arundell, Freeman

Suspect that EJ is looking at at least one of T. Hill or Jeffries as a lock.
My team 23 out of that squad would be:
1. Rodd
2. Blamire
3. Collier
4. T.Hill (lack of lock cover)
5. Ewels
6. Wills
7. Underhill (captain)
8. Dombrandt
9. Randell
10. Smith (needs game time with Randell as Eddie will probably start then both on tour)
11. Cokanasiga (can he bring the power
We have been missing & secure a place on tour)
12. Atkinson
13. Dingwall
14. Hassell-Collins (deserve a chance)
15. Arundell

16. Walker
17. Goodrick-Clarke
18. Schickerling
19. Hill (get him some minutes off bench)
20. Ludlum
21. Mitchell
22. Bailey
23. Jospeh

I'm assuming Care has been brought in to start in the proper tests. Doesn't make sense to me to call him up and then have Randall or Mitchell starting IMO. Then again … he has been ignored for about 4yrs!

Of the wingers in the squad Cokanasiga is the least deserving. He may 'bring the power', but the rest have been locking on the door pretty hard while Cokanasiga has been injured/distracted by off-field stuff. It's not entirely his fault but he's in the squad on the hope that he can fulfil his potential rather than actual merit.

Doesn't make sense to me to call him up and then have Randall or Mitchell starting IMO.
It's a Barbarians game so can't exactly learn anything from it, though - if anything I'd say it makes more sense to have one of the younger guys playing just for more experience

Plus he just played the 80 last week - I don't think there'll be many/any starters from the playoffs, they'll have only been in camp for 3 sessions before the captains run

Of the wingers in the squad Cokanasiga is the least deserving. He may 'bring the power', but the rest have been locking on the door pretty hard while Cokanasiga has been injured/distracted by off-field stuff. It's not entirely his fault but he's in the squad on the hope that he can fulfil his potential rather than actual merit.

Yeah he's looked really poor for Bath since coming back - it's hard to judge Bath players accurately because the whole club is under a malaise, but it's **** when there's guys playing out their skin missing out on the hope and a prayer that Joe C a) finds form and b) doesn't find injury
Same goes for May, who has played 25mins since Christmas, and Nowell who has only played once since the 6N (and barely played before then, and didn't make it through the whole 6N)

I want Coka to succeed but this is blind faith and it's not like he's got 40 proven caps of goodwill to fall back on.

Feels like he should be spending his summer getting properly fit and sharp again. As you say this isn't all of his own making but he needs both body and mind to be straight. Last thing he'd need is to tour if he's not fully confident that he's in a good place.

Or maybe Jones just thinks he'll look twice the player away from the toxic Bath environment.

It's a Barbarians game so can't exactly learn anything from it, though - if anything I'd say it makes more sense to have one of the younger guys playing just for more experience

Plus he just played the 80 last week - I don't think there'll be many/any starters from the playoffs, they'll have only been in camp for 2 sessions before the captains run
Yeah - that's why I said 'I'm assuming Care has been brought in to start the proper tests'. In other words … not the Barbarians game.

My team 23 out of that squad would be:
1. Rodd
2. Blamire
3. Collier
4. T.Hill (lack of lock cover)
5. Ewels
6. Wills
7. Underhill (captain)
8. Dombrandt
9. Randell
10. Smith (needs game time with Randell as Eddie will probably start then both on tour)
11. Cokanasiga (can he bring the power
We have been missing & secure a place on tour)
12. Atkinson
13. Dingwall
14. Hassell-Collins (deserve a chance)
15. Arundell

16. Walker
17. Goodrick-Clarke
18. Schickerling
19. Hill (get him some minutes off bench)
20. Ludlum
21. Mitchell
22. Bailey
23. Jospeh
🤮

Yeah - that's why I said 'I'm assuming Care has been brought in to start the proper tests'. In other words … not the Barbarians game.
Ah yeah, misread that - sozzle!

Imagine the scenes of Eddie picked Care just to make sure he doesn't play for the baabaas… and drops him for Aus tour
Definitely a possibility - I think it depends if Youngs is available post final
I could see Care dropping out for Youngs but not for JvP (who should be there over Mitchell, but won't be)

Ah yeah, misread that - sozzle!

Definitely a possibility - I think it depends if Youngs is available post final
I could see Care dropping out for Youngs but not for JvP (who should be there over Mitchell, but won't be)
Putting aside my thoughts on him as a player, I wouldn't want Youngs to be touring anyway due to Tom Youngs wife passing away. I feel it's best he was there to be with the family at this time.

I wouldn't want Youngs to be touring anyway due to Tom Youngs wife passing away. I feel it's best he was there to be with the family at this time.
Yeah, I don't think he'll tour for those reasons (think he'll take himself out of contention)

Ben Youngs really shouldn't be considered for the Australia tour anyhow. We really need to trial the the options at SH and if they are all pants we can always bring back care or Youngs for the WC.

Randall, Mitchell..

Whats the crack with Quirke...? Injured, Fit , recovering? He's learning well of Manu...

Putting aside my thoughts on him as a player, I wouldn't want Youngs to be touring anyway due to Tom Youngs wife passing away. I feel it's best he was there to be with the family at this time.
I don't think anyone outside the family can say that. Everyone deals with things differently and there are no hard and fast rules. Suspect Olyy's withdrawal guess may turn out to be right, but I'd have no problems with him making himself available for selection if he feels up to it and has the support of his family.

Whether he should be picked for this tour on pure playing factors is an entirely different question.

Latest posts