• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

Times reporting that Mitchell is quitting to join Wasps. Cue the next round of speculation about Jones's toxic workplace.
I don't know whether it is a toxic workplace, but the constant changes in coaches can't help build a stable environment in the squad. We saw during the 6Ns the result of a messy coaching setup. Yes that was partly due to covid, but appointing a coach from Australia during the pandemic always had the potential to go wrong.

Who's left?

Can't even call Ed Robinson in again, cause he's at Wasps now n all

Mike Ford is free
Television Popcorn GIF by SpongeBob SquarePants

Well I guess that means John Mitchell isn't replacing EJ. Wonder if that played a part in his decision, didn't he just extend his contract.

Another one bites the dust though, can't say i'm gutted does feel the coaching has gone backwards over last year.

Yes. That is a possibility.

No-one really wanted Mitchell when he was brought on board, but on balance, I think he did a good job.

I'm surprised at the role he's taking at Wasps though. With all due respect to Lee Blackett, I'm surprised Mitchell is happy reporting in to someone with such little top level experience/success. I rate Blackett, but you'd have thought Mitchell would want to be top man somewhere.

Yes. That is a possibility.

No-one really wanted Mitchell when he was brought on board, but on balance, I think he did a good job.

I'm surprised at the role he's taking at Wasps though. With all due respect to Lee Blackett, I'm surprised Mitchell is happy reporting in to someone with such little top level experience/success. I rate Blackett, but you'd have thought Mitchell would want to be top man somewhere.
Yep and being reported that his primary role will be attack coach which feels a bit odd.

Mitchell as DoR and Blackett as Head Coach would have made more sense …

Yep and being reported that his primary role will be attack coach which feels a bit odd.
Blackett - Ex-Attack coach now HC
Robinson - Ex-Attack coach now skills coach
Mitchell - Attack coach

Fair to say they're going to be quite attack focused then, ay

All the press mentioning Eddie looking at Cockers.
Lines up with timelines I guess
Mitchell apparently released from contract.

Although feel he would be lined up as a forwards coach ala Borthwick replacement, not convinced about Proudfoot all round ability yet.

Last edited:

Although feel he would be lined up as a forwards coach ala Borthwick replacement, not convinced about Proudfoot all round ability yet.
Could just end up with Eddie Jones - Guru and master of all disciplines.

One step closer to the Cockers Dimes dream team

The press won't know what's hit them

Did Cockers leave or get pushed from Edinburgh? I heard that his methods weren't appreciated by the players in which case let's not add him to the England set up please.

I don't think a reason was given, although I'd be surprised if he was sacked given his success there.

He's definitely a marmite character and wouldn't be top of my list, but I wonder whether the international environment minimises the exposure to his less desirable traits. In other words, he might be OK in small doses.

Did Cockers leave or get pushed from Edinburgh? I heard that his methods weren't appreciated by the players in which case let's not add him to the England set up please.
John Barclay wasn't a fan….

But Jones does need some big characters on his coaching staff who can stand up to him. You'd like to think Cockers would fit that mould.

Also with Jones almost certainly on his way post France is there a slight hint of succession planning here?

Cockers released Barclay (who then retired because no one else wanted him), so not that surprising he holds ill will towards him

I feel like characters like Cockers work better in a home environment than away from it
Much easier to buy in to an abrasive characters passion when you're on the same page
You're never going to get "Who's this English prick telling me I'm not giving my all to my club"

It's a interesting debate.
Hardass v Softer approach.
Very rarely can you get a coach that can balance both. (It does happen though Baxter seems to balance both Exeter setup)

Hardass always tends to end badly unless they get the full backing and can have their own squad and coaches without interference from above (Which didn't happen at Leicester and Edinburgh really he had to answer to both Cohen and Glynn at Tigers and Mallinder at Edinbrugh in terms of coaching and players)
But if they get full backing then it can end up quite well.

Softer tend to end badly because really you don't tend to have long term success it will start off sweet but you tend to end up as a nearly team.
You tend to keep hold of players longer but the question is as a club are you aiming for middle of the road or legacy.
Granted this is more for NH rugby rather than SH which has a different mentality.

Honestly it happens in Football also.

Latest posts