• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

TBF Danny Care started 45% of his appearances.
In fact in his final year of International rugby started 5 of the 10 games

I mean isn't that more the difference between International and Club though? Better defences, less space to run etc
Like West for example what suggests he would be more than Solid at International level?

Don't get me wrong solid international props are the foundation to build upon.
Because to be the best you have to be more than solid. Mako and Marler both outstanding in their different styles.
Genge does it every week in the prem...we need to see more than solid this AI...

I have no idea how West will perform...maybe we never will.

Davison may well play these AI's and i dont expect more than solid. I dont think thats good enough. i dont expect him to be there for the 6n...which is when Eddie will really name his strongest squad (after this experimentation squad)

Mako also got his head put between his ass v South Africa and was a key (IMO) reason why we lost (Along with not starting Kruis).
Mako has a truly outstanding work rate for a prop, but he isn't IMO a solid scrummager therefore for me can't be outstanding.

I like Marler but fail to see what makes him outstanding at international level v other props? He's very good at scrums but what else makes him outstanding? and if that's the level has Genge struggled with scrums at this level yet?

Being extremely biased here but Dan Cole in his peak (Talking years and years and years ago before he became a stupid penalty magnet and was told to lose weight leading up to the 2015 RWC) was prob the last England prop I would say was outstanding at this level, he was a top scrummager but was also excellent defensive both in terms of tackles, Maul work and work over the ball (Till he decided to just flop on everything...)
edit; Actually Sinckler was outstanding leading up and during the RWC as well tbh.

LCD is a big loss for the Autumn International's, in my opinion. But George has been playing well.

Mako also got his head put between his ass v South Africa and was a key (IMO) reason why we lost (Along with not starting Kruis).
Mako has a truly outstanding work rate for a prop, but he isn't IMO a solid scrummager therefore for me can't be outstanding.

I like Marler but fail to see what makes him outstanding at international level v other props? He's very good at scrums but what else makes him outstanding? and if that's the level has Genge struggled with scrums at this level yet?

Being extremely biased here but Dan Cole in his peak (Talking years and years and years ago before he became a stupid penalty magnet and was told to lose weight leading up to the 2015 RWC) was prob the last England prop I would say was outstanding at this level, he was a top scrummager but was also excellent defensive both in terms of tackles, Maul work and work over the ball (Till he decided to just flop on everything...)
edit; Actually Sinckler was outstanding leading up and during the RWC as well tbh.
Marler is fantastic defensively as well as being an excellent scrummager, his performance in the 3rd test on the SA tour was unbelievable and probably the best from an English prop in years. Also he can last the full 80 mins which speaks to his fitness.

I like Genge however I think he does have some questions around him when he plays other tier 1 sides as I don't think he's particularly stood out beside a few good scrums against Ireland/Wales in the 2019 six nations. The Scotland game last year was a real disappointment as he came off 2nd best to Fagerson but don't know how much having Itoje/Hill behind him helped instead of a Launchbury/Kruis.

Mako isn't the strongest at scrum time but he's solid. What makes him outstanding was everything else. His handling, his defensive work. All top draw. And which prop hasn't had their a$$ handed to them at some point.

The key reason we lost was sinkler getting ko'd by Itoje...after 2 mins or so.

Marler, again his workrate in defense and around the fringes and rucks are top class .

Look I really hope Genge makes it, we need a real destructive prop because funnily enough I'm not overly struck on Sinkler.

I see Watson has done his ACL....

With all the kids coming through could rhat be his international career?

2021-10-19_19h45_48.png2021-10-19_19h45_57.png

Got to love how naturally photogenic Smith is.

Also why couldn't Sam Simmonds have been a 12...

Last edited:
very possibly...but none of them have stood up though? Even Genge is still flattering to deceive at this level....

Obano failed miserably...

Id like to see West given a good shot. He looks a proper prop.
I think West could be a good shout. Good engine, usually plays up to 70 mins at least and scrums really well.
He's turned into a diamond in the rough as wasn't sure he was going anywhere a few years ago.

I'd imagine he's OK as he would've been replaced at the same time as LCD and Watson otherwise

If he were out I'd bring in Isiekwe (who was starting at lock for Sarries until Itoje came back and he went to 6) but I think it'd be more likely to be one of the Saints guys (Ribbans or Moon) or maybe Wells from Leicester
My guess would be Ribbans

We're pretty well sorted for back rows....but id still take Ted Hill....

Imagine..
6 Hill
7 Wilson
8 Fearns

Welcome to the house of pain! :D
Yes, the back rows look pretty good! But Ted Hill in 6th place is still more to the list maker's liking :) He seems to have an affinity for Hill :rolleyes:

Happy with the squad if I'm honest. Shame about the couple of injuries but certainly a step in the right direction.

Got tickets for the Australia game so hopefully I get to see a cracking game which I will barely remember other the terrible photos I manage to take.

The squad selection I'm happy with, but for the continued inclusion of un-droppable Farrell and Youngs.
Maybe both will surprise with new found enthusiasm and form but I'm under no illusions.

Some exciting prospects will hopefully get a decent runout and show us whether they are ready or not. Looking forward to seeing Radwan, Dombrant and Smith in particular.
Expecting Lawrence, Nowell and Ford will get another chance at some point and Billy V isn't totally forgotten.
Really excited about the choices we have in the back row once everyone is fit and available.

No excrement Sherlock.

[hot take warning]......My impression is that Rugby Against Racism is a pathetic, toothless organisation, the stakeholders of which are doing a disservice to the game and society in general with their malaise and by allowing themselves to be used as a box ticking exercise. A Google search for Rugby Against Racism seems to show no sort of online presence for the campaign (the only properties are owned by a Scottish kid selling boot laces). PRL can't claim to give the slightest toss about racism until they release a statement on the Exeter Minstrels situation and replace the staff who brushed it under the carpet for so long.

Latest posts