• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England 2021/22

The RFU/PRL care too much about keeping up appearances to really do anything about it - they love publicising all these initiatives they have while sweeping everything else under the carpet.

Last year Marland Yarde reported monkey chants made at him at an away game - this was also backed up by our physios and bench. The PRL basically said "no, you heard wrong"
He complained to the RPA, who then went to PRL and PRL promised to take positive action and open a dialogue with Yarde....and just did nothing, he never heard from them again.

Out of the sports I follow (and Football) the most Rugby really does feel like the one that paid it lip service and carried on like normal. I think the other sports just had high profile people putting th efoot forward.

Cricket was about the only international sport going at the time so was under the most scrutiny after the video with Rainford-Brent/Holding they had to be seen doing something. They since taken allegation and possible impropriety very seriously. Robinson being rightly suspended and then reinstated once it was clearly it wasn't existing issue.

F1 well they tried to screw it up but with its most high profile driver being a PoC it was hard to ignore especially when they didn't have a coherent message at the start. I also think it shocked Hamilton into some level of what his legacy on the sport should be other than being one of the all time greats. They do appear to talk and be taking things seriously on representation standpoint. If they'd stop going to races in dodgy places that would great.

Football is well documented and I think in the end they won out on their efforts during the Euro's.

To be honest most teams look very diverse as it is. Rugby against racism really needs a clear vision of what they want to achieve. Diversity is a poor target as it doesn't really address the core issues of rugby schools etc but then how does someone change that without a lot of our reach programmes.

Definitely agree that more needs doing but it needs to be targeted correctly.

To be honest most teams look very diverse as it is. Rugby against racism really needs a clear vision of what they want to achieve. Diversity is a poor target as it doesn't really address the core issues of rugby schools etc but then how does someone change that without a lot of our reach programmes.

Definitely agree that more needs doing but it needs to be targeted correctly.
Pro teams yes but how much of it flows down? What about coaching and other staffing areas?

What about the backgrounds of the players do they reflect society.

It's why rugby has been disappointing other sports have put a real effort in beyond the gestures and talked about what they are doing. Rugby feels like it thinks the gesture is enough.

Do we think there are any players in the squad who won't see any gametime in the autumn?

Don't think we're likely so see Davison/Chick/Furbank get a game.

Do we think there are any players in the squad who won't see any gametime in the autumn?

Don't think we're likely so see Davison/Chick/Furbank get a game.
Depends how we view the Tonga game.

If we use it as a tune-up for Australia and SA, then probably not. If we use it as another experimentation opportunity then maybe?

I do rate Chick, but I'd be really annoyed if he gets in at 8 over Dombrandt or Simmonds.

Depends how we view the Tonga game.

If we use it as a tune-up for Australia and SA, then probably not. If we use it as another experimentation opportunity then maybe?

I do rate Chick, but I'd be really annoyed if he gets in at 8 over Dombrandt or Simmonds.
Chick's been doing well at 6 in the past few weeks, he was great against Gloucester at the weekend carrying in tight and picking good lines. He's also a lineout jumper so could be an option there alongside Dombrandt/Curry but can't see Eddie not going for Lawes on the blindside.

Id use the Tonga game as a tune up for the next two games.

Chick's been doing well at 6 in the past few weeks, he was great against Gloucester at the weekend carrying in tight and picking good lines. He's also a lineout jumper so could be an option there alongside Dombrandt/Curry but can't see Eddie not going for Lawes on the blindside.
Biased Falcons fan as i am...i cant see Chick being involved...unless as said above the Tonga game is another experimental one. But i just cant see that.

Funnily enough i CAN see Davison being involved, purely down to his Dual sided ability. But come the 6n when everyone is fit...i dont think he'll be there.

Does that really matter in the time of the 23 man squad?
In terms of looking forward to 2023, which EJ is now very much doing, then it matters quite a lot in a 31 man squad. Over the next couple of years I reckon we'll see Davison get a reasonable amount of games at both 17 and 18 so that by the RWC he is comfortable filling in at both.

They increased the size of squads from 31 to 33 for RWC 2023 so Eddie could just take an extra prop this time instead of just taking 5 like last time.

We'll see Eddie hasn't really seemed that bothered about dual ability.

On the whole a loose head will be a better loose head and a tight head will be a better tight head. So it's always tough call to make in that regards.

So come on then....team for Tonga? Tune up for the next two....

1 Marler / Genge
2 George
3 Sinkler
4 Lawes
5 Itoje
6 Martin
7 Curry
8 Dombrandt

9 Quirke
10 Smith
11 Malins
12 Farrell
13 Marchant / Manu
14 Radwan
15 Steward

Last edited:
I'd go:

1. Genge
2. George
3. Sinckler
4. Itoje
5. Hill
6. Curry
7. Underhill/Ludlam
8. Dombrandt

9. Randall
10. Smith
11. Radwan
12. Tuilagi
13. Slade
14. Malins
15. Steward

16. Blamire
17. Marler
18. Davison
19. Lawes
20. Simmonds
21. Quirke
22. Marchant
23. Furbank

I know that EJ's team will be nothing like this, but it's got a mix of experience and youth which would be perfect for Tonga.

Latest posts