• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Six Nations thread

Kev's been in Gloucester's team since round 3 or 4 of the premiership.
He's also been your best forward along with Stooke - it's absolute ******** to suggest he's been playing badly.
You'd be in the gutter with Newcastle and Worcester without him.

Disagree rats. glawsfan never said Kev's had a bad season, only an average one. And he's right, he's had a couple of good games in an otherwise forgettable season. I agree he's been our second best forward, but a distant second to Stooke, and I don't think it's saying much anyway. I also don't think our position would change whether we'd have played him or Qera up until the new year.

He's picking up now though, and I really, really do rate him. Is he ready for international? I'd give him a go from the bench, anyway...

He's been picking up the slack for your joke of a pack - notice that his performances have seemed to improve now that the rest of the team aren't being pushovers.
He can focus on doing things well instead of just doing lots of things.
He's played as well as anyone could have expected him to given the circumstances.
I didn't say he was second best - he is joint best with Stooke.

Agree there's not many games where I could say he's stood out. He came with a big reputation as being a realistic challenge to Robshaw for the 7 England shirt but has been underwhelming. Hopefully this season he is just getting use to the club and next we will see him at his best and turning into one of the best in the premiership. To say we would be in relegation trouble without him is stupid. The only player who I would say has kept us away is May. His tries and individual brilliance has often been the difference in the games we've won this year.

All we need is someone for the bench which will either be Johnson or kvesic, both cover all back row positions.

We will loose some ballast but that can't be helped and I'd be happy for kvesic to get some game time.

Matt has been your most consistent player IMO.

The reason I say you'd be much closer to the bottom is because of his defensive shifts.
Go and look at the stats - every round he is the highest tackler by a significant margin - barring 1 or 2 games where someone else actually put in a bit of effort too.

I don't buy this "7s look rubbish behind a poor pack - it's not their fault!" line - Gibson was far better at Irish than at Tigers, Kvesic looked far better at Worcester, Seymour
was been standout for Sale when we couldn't buy a completed scrum.

I'm not saying he's looked poor though! I think he's been great!
But people don't seem to be able to separate an individual's performance from the team performance unless they are a monster ball carrier.

I call it the "Curious Case of Tom Croft". :D

While it won't happen, Stef deserves a fair crack, even if it is just off the bench.

Last edited:
No-one disagrees that a good big 'un will be better than a good little 'un.
What we disagree with, Yoe, is your assertion that power is an irresistible trump card.

If you were right then Nemani Nadolo would be the best player in the world - but he's far from it.

People don't read or listen to other people. They take only the bits they're interested in to better criticize; it's a typical human reaction (of the masses, precisely !).

I've never said mass was the only factor in a scrum for e.g., but our friends Olyy and Draggs sure enough seemed to have had fun all by themselves there, on topics I haven't even grazed. I can't remember a match when France had more weight in the scrum, we're constantly under-weight, but statistically have the best one around. I've seen France destroy 80kg heavier scrums, technique is obviously primordial.

But people just listen to what they want to. It's therapeutic and allows them to exorcise some of their fears or complexes, all the while holding a scapegoat they can put a big part of the blame on. It's good for the conscience, and it's always been that way.

Burgess and Tuilagi. Sounds good at midfield, huh ? And how about, just imagine, Burrell coming off the bench at 23. How do you England fans like this ? How do you think all the others would perceive this ? As very bad news. We'd fear that thought. And what's the main reason, limpidly the common denominator betw. all three ?

Of course, it's understood 'massive player A' needs some skill. What idiot believes mass alone is salutatory ? Put a guy who's never played Rugby there and it's a disaster. Obviously, 'player A' needs alright handling, passing, and run okay lines. And he needs some mobility and speed. But all that is implied. People have performed the shallowest of readings into that thought, making shortcuts at every possible corner of a fairly simple plot.

But it's hilarious for me everybody's walking in circles around the very obvious point. Some criticize Manu Tuilagi coz he can't/doesn't pass enough. Yeh, yeh...He's the guy who scored all of England's tries in 2012/2013 (again, a bit of an exaggeration, please don't read too *literally*), was responsible for 2.5 tries/3 in that infamous game against the Blacks (2012).
He goes down, England replace him with Burrell, a guy whose main strength is his size (1m91, 109kg). Okay speed and standard skill, but he breaks tackles, bends the curtain, and hits like a flanker on defense. The other guy is Twelvetrees at midfield...not exactly the personification of lightness and grace, surely you'll all agree to. His dimensions: 1m93, 106kg.
And guess what, soon, make way for Sam Burgess: 1m96, 115kg. He might make it to midfield. Surely Lancaster would want his perspicacity or intellectual qualities there. Because he's a brilliant young man with unparalleled tactical command, and the widest spectrum of moves you've ever seen at center. Hah, power/mass ?? Folly !...Folly ! What a strange, almost eerie argument to hold...really.

Even the fly-half is a hard-hitting, very solid on defense, bulky young man (1m88, 96kg). Yes, the fly-half. Do you know what flyhalves looked like just some time ago ?

"erp derp...errr, MAASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS, erpy derpy...massive mass..mastodon. Masssssss. Well if it were up to mass, then why don't we play Richie Gray at fly-half, errppppppppy derpy doopy derpy....MASSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSS".

Last edited:
He's been picking up the slack for your joke of a pack - notice that his performances have seemed to improve now that the rest of the team aren't being pushovers.
He can focus on doing things well instead of just doing lots of things.
He's played as well as anyone could have expected him to given the circumstances.
I didn't say he was second best - he is joint best with Stooke.
Don't get me wrong, he's doing a lot of good. I also think he's starting to hit good form now (had his best game of the season on the weekend apparently, at the right time too it seems).

But so far this season, he's given away a few too many penalties and IMO isn't playing so well in the breakdown that I'd want to sacrifice Wood/Robshaw for him.

As for how we'd be doing without him, remember that Qera was nominated for player of the Premiership last season. He's such a quality player. Nigel Davies evidently wanted someone who could really compete at the breakdown. But in reality, I don't think Qera would have done any worse than Kvesic so far, had ND opted for Qera instead. We certainly wouldn't have lost out in the work-rate/tackling department; Qera was on another level to any player Gloucester has at the minute, in the tackle area. Qera moving on was, personally, the saddest news I've had following Gloucester. I rate him that highly.

Wasn't going to create a new thread for this, and I'm not sure where else I could put it...

I've just had a cursory glance at one of the Tigers forums - jesus christ those guys are hostile.

Wasn't going to create a new thread for this, and I'm not sure where else I could put it...

I've just had a cursory glance at one of the Tigers forums - jesus christ those guys are hostile.

I wonder if they are moaning about Danny care and saying youngs should be starting lol

Latest posts