• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Squad Announced

It's a national team that belongs to everybody (in England), not a privately owned club. The English have all the right to express every opinion about it.
Somebody ought to explain that to the 47 old farts.

D%27oh.jpg

Waldrom is a bloody good player , solid and tough. Kinda get board of people going on about if a player should play for a certian team? If that player wants to play for that team and his team mates want him to play for that team then its not really anyone elses problem.

The thing is though, I doubt Waldrom wants to play for England. I think he just wants to play international rugby. If he was good enough to play for New Zealand then he would play for us, he isn't so he is playing for England. Personally, I would feel bad if the All Blacks had to take another country's seconds three times. Waldrom can't possibly have any pride for England. How can you prefer to represent a country you have lived in for a few years over where you have lived your whole life? Even if you think New Zealand stole players like Sivivatu, at least he actually chose to play for us.

Even if you think New Zealand stole players like Sivivatu, at least he actually chose to play for us.

Are you saying Waldrom was forced, against his own will, into this preliminary squad?

Even if you think New Zealand stole players like Sivivatu, at least he actually chose to play for us.

:lol: Here is a reply from an English Perspective..

The thing is though, I doubt Sivivatu wanted to play for England. I think he just wants to play international rugby. If he was good enough to play for Fiji then he would have played for the,, he isn't so he is playing for NZ. Personally, I would feel bad if the Fijians had to take another country's seconds three times. Sivivatu can't possibly have any pride for England. How can you prefer to represent a country you have lived in for a few years over where you have lived your whole life? Even if you think England stole players like Waldrom, at least he is actually choosing to play for us.

:lol: Here is a reply from an English Perspective..

The thing is though, I doubt Sivivatu wanted to play for England. I think he just wants to play international rugby. If he was good enough to play for Fiji then he would have played for the,, he isn't so he is playing for NZ. Personally, I would feel bad if the Fijians had to take another country's seconds three times. Sivivatu can't possibly have any pride for England. How can you prefer to represent a country you have lived in for a few years over where you have lived your whole life? Even if you think England stole players like Waldrom, at least he is actually choosing to play for us.

Very clever, but no comparison.

Sivivatu was a teenager (16 if I recall) when he came to New Zealand. He was persuaded to come to come here by his cousin, Joe Rokocoko. He ended up travelling to NZ on a scholarship to Wesley College.

Waldrom went as an adult professional rugby player. He didn't even know for sure that his grandmother was born in England until he rang his mother and asked.

IMO, the "grandmother clause" should be done away with. To play for a country, you should have to be either born there, or have a birth parent that was born there, or you need to meet residency criteria, minimum five years.

the question is just the rugby elegibility rules, i think that the rule that permit with just 3 year of residence in a country to be eligible is totally senseless... but so far the rules are that is totally pointless to say "OMG so much non english player" they are simply eligible by the rules.

Anyway the guys that go to play for a country they are just a rappresentance of that nation and if they are going to do it proudly and at their best i really don't see the matter of argue on % of blood they have.

Vicki Pollard couldn't translate all the "yeah but no but" in this thred.

Every team poaches forigeners. The All Blacks poack the PI's. The rest poack the Kiwis who missed out. End of.

Not every team. Since Marc Lievremont has been nominated as head coach, can't remember any foreigner who joined the French squad. I guess it's the same thing for Ireland.

Not every team. Since Marc Lievremont has been nominated as head coach, can't remember any foreigner who joined the French squad. I guess it's the same thing for Ireland.

Isaac Boss plays for Ireland. I can't think of a non-welsh player playing for Wales though.
And, if you say so, you're probably right about France too. I wasn't aware of that.

Isaac Boss plays for Ireland. I can't think of a non-welsh player playing for Wales though.
And, if you say so, you're probably right about France too. I wasn't aware of that.

Wales don't have any I can think of at the moment, but in recent history they definitely have had some.
Hal Luscombe springs to mind, as do those two guys who turned out not to be even a little bit welsh when Henry was in charge...

Boss doesn't play, in the 6 nations he was 4th choice. Also For Wales Davies is from England.

Faletau don't seem so welsh by the way... in french team Ouedraogo is born in Burkina Faso and anyway why this kind of pure french blood proud don't come out when speaking about football .... oh wait... :D

Botha, Fourie, Flutey, Hape and Waldron.

These are the ones that must bother the players like Narraway and the likes. If you are going to bring in a mercenary at least make sure they are a quality one. Someone who could make a real difference or add a bit of class to the team and the squad.

These guys are just screaming medocrity and that must be a kick in the goolies for all the other mediocre English players that are being overlooked.

I think we are all agreed that the rules should be changed with regards to eligibility, but until they are, Ive no problem with the selections.

Latest posts