Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Sale
England XV vs Barbarians FC
Quilter Cup
Sunday 25 October, KO 14:00,
Sky Sports​

It's a while away yet, but Barbarians are starting to name their players, so might as well have somewhere to discuss.

They've just said this morning that Chris Robshaw will be in their side,
Head coach: Vern Cotter, assistant coach: Glen Jackson

Chris Robshaw; a man who epitomises the Barbarian spirit and play style.

Glad he'll get some semblance of a Twickenham send off though, even if there's no crowd.

It'll be interesting to see what kind of side they can actually cobble together for this,
Top 14 and Pro 14 have rounds that weekend, Rugby Championship kicks off two weeks after, but there's 2weeks quarantine coming to the the UK and then another two weeks going back to Aus/NZ - 4 weeks away from training just for one cash grab fixture is unlikely

Gonna look more like the old England vs Exiles games they did in Rugby League

Cotter is the new coach of Fiji so he might call up some of his new players or the Jaguares players? Ex-Southern Kings?

Rugby Championship starts two weeks after this, so that rules out UK based Pumas/Boks/Wallabies (2 weeks quarantine going into Aus, so they'd miss the first game and all the training, if they set off after this)
Apparently they said on the BBC Podcast that any player who played in the prem this season and will again next is ineligible (due to the short turn around).

So they can choose from retirees, players moving abroad (though I think the Japan based players will all be off soon, as there's a two week quarantine going into the country and preseason has just started), and Super Rugby players who aren't playing in the Rugby Championship and don't mind the 4 weeks in a hotel room.
and maybe like RFU Championship and Pro D2? I dunno if either have even started pre-season yet/have kickoff dates

Everyone make sure your phone isn't on silent cause I think some of us will be getting the call at this rate!

I'm up for it!

Seriously though, I think the draw of playing for the Barbarians would be pretty strong. Some players may well be willing to go through quarantine for it.

Aside from Robshaw, presumably any Saracens players qualify given they won't be in the Premiership next season and no-one knows when the Championship is due to start.

If not, Barritt and Wigglesworth are retiring so would presumably be eligible. Other retiring players would include Steenson if he's not ruled out by the final (probably will be) and Gibson.

Rugby Championship starts two weeks after this, so that rules out UK based Pumas/Boks/Wallabies (2 weeks quarantine going into Aus, so they'd miss the first game and all the training, if they set off after this)
Apparently they said on the BBC Podcast that any player who played in the prem this season and will again next is ineligible (due to the short turn around).

So they can choose from retirees, players moving abroad (though I think the Japan based players will all be off soon, as there's a two week quarantine going into the country and preseason has just started), and Super Rugby players who aren't playing in the Rugby Championship and don't mind the 4 weeks in a hotel room.
and maybe like RFU Championship and Pro D2? I dunno if either have even started pre-season yet/have kickoff dates

Everyone make sure your phone isn't on silent cause I think some of us will be getting the call at this rate!
The European Boks might still feature for the Baabaas if SA Rugby decides to pull the plug on SA joining the other SANZAAR teams in Australia. We will know more by the end of this week. But it seems more and more likely that the Boks won't be part of the RC this year, so the Baabaas can then call on players like Kolbe, Faf, Du Preez twins, Rohan JVR, Marcell Coetzee etc...

Not if they intend on playing in the Premiership next season, unfortunately - apparently PRL have said there's a mandatory rest period between the two seasons and because the Barbarians falls inside that you can't play in it without messing up the start of next season (for England players their rest period is after the international games, and the clubs have been reimbursed by the RFU for the time that their players will be missing) - though maybe they've got it in their contracts that they'd miss the start of next season anyway (because of TRC) so the clubs will be more lenient.

Not sure what happens with the Pro14 (12) players given their season has already started?

I'd be very surprised if they'd release their players for a non-cap fixture - particularly given that Ireland and Italy are playing on the same weekend.

I see Cotter has just named his first Fiji squad so it wouldn't surprise me to see him use a few of those players.

Eight more Saracens called up:
Sean Maitland
Alex Lewington
Tim Swinson
Joel Kpoku
Calum Clark
Dom Morris
Juan Pablo Socino
Tom Woolstencroft

Eight more Saracens called up:
Calum Clark
For once, I want a brutal England training camp.
I will not watch that man play for a team I support.

ETA: Having chased up - you could have said (or at least included a link) - they've been called up by the BaaBaas. Which means that I can get fully behind England, with no reservations whateoever

Last edited:
Ek1_uVUXgAIxzsi

Only 22 players in the Barbarians squad.
Why are we even having this game

Kerrod swaps from England training squad to Barbarians - guess that's a loophole on that rule saying players who want to play the opening rounds of next seasons prem aren't eligible

Only 22 players in the Barbarians squad.
Why are we even having this game

Kerrod swaps from England training squad to Barbarians - guess that's a loophole on that rule saying players who want to play the opening rounds of next seasons prem aren't eligible
Ahhh, that takes me back...
The days of blagging a spare player from the hosts so that you put a full team out...

Damn that's a bland AF baabaas team.
Where the spice.

Honestly would rather have had a North v south game (Especially with the current north v South in politics)

Latest posts