• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Vs Ireland

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 28 2010, 05:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
A genuine question here: When is the last time England have been so poor for so long? Since they won the world cup in 03' they've failed to compete at anywhere near the top level, the 07' freak incident aside.

I'm listening to the boys on the radio at the moment and they seem to think the English are picking brawn over brain(true enough) and the team is too dispersed (11 clubs represented inyesterday's 22). Opinions?[/b]

England coaches in recent years suffer from 1) Inability to develop young talent properly and pick the right players, 2) Inability to select the correct gameplan and 3) bad luck with injuries.

Today, our player base:

Loosehead: Sheridan may not be the bees knees he's built up as, but he's a destructive loosehead and potentially gamechanging on his day. Payne is no replacement for the year that AS has missed through injury, and the GP is over-reliant on foreign props. Not to mention that world class Trevor Woodman had his career cut short by at least 5 years.

Tighthead: Same point about foreingers, but Vickery was a very good player. Cole is now coming through to fill his shoes.

Hooker: long ago, Hartley was identified as a future star, and he's not a bad option, though I still think a hooker's first job is lineout throwing, which Mears is better for. Not a problem position, considering only the French have any hookers worth their salt in this 6 Nations.

2nd Row: Shaw is world class and Lawes has massive potential as his natural successor at 4. Out of lineout locks we have no one as good as POC or Matfield. Borthwick is, I'm afraid, the next best option, seeing as Kennedy hasn't improved on his form of a few seasons ago. Gaskell has potential in this position.

Flanker: At 6 Haskell and Croft are good players. Granted, they're not Ferris or Dusautoir, but the All Blacks make do with Messam and Kaino, and these 2 are no worse. Tom Rees looked like he might grow into being the long term 7 for England. He had several battles with the likes of McCaw and stood up well. Now, out of action for ages. So we're stuck with Moody who has never been a proper 7. Saull needs to be brought through; Armitage deserves a chance.

Eight: Easter seems to be the only option, and he's OK. I said this years ago and I stick by it, a back row of Croft-Rees-Haskell could be very effective.

Scrum Half: Care needs to grow into the position, he's the sharpest 9 in the 6N but his pass and defence need work. Youngs and Simpson are good shouts for the future.

Fly Half: Wilkinson is past it. Cipriani is overhyped, but the hype is there because he has Giteau's level of talent. Unfortunately Giteau has his head on his neck and is the world's most entertaining playmaker, while Cipriani has his up his arse and is the world's biggest waste of talent. Toby Flood is the best option available, and I think a very good one.

Centres: Won't talk about Flutey, but we've cocked around with Tait for too long, Waldouck hasn't had a look in, and neither really have Allen, Clarke, Turner-Hall or any other young centres we have available to us.

Wings: Strettle, Simpson-Daniel - wrecked by injuries and coach conservatism. Let's hope Ashton, Cato and Ojo don't fall into the same category. Monye is decent if you put him in space, but he won't create anything on his own.

Fullback: Armitage and Foden are both very good options who've emerged in recent years.

In short, that's a very large pool of talented players who have emerged over the past few years. Given a few years, a good coach with good tactics could make 1) A very strong scrum, 2) A reliable lineout, 3) a mobile back row, 4) a set of backs oozing creativity.

Unfortunately, an England coach is so blinkered he sees no further than Sunday morning's headlines. An England coach knows what certain older players in the squad can bring to the table, and an England coach relies wholeheartedly on their experience to get that win. Too bad that old players who aren't world class and never were world class, can never develop into world class players. An England coach continues their conservative outlook by choosing a gameplan and fly-half that completely nullify the point of having any pace and creativity out wide.

What will happen? England will stutter through the remaining internationals leading up to 2011 RWC and reach the quarters there, and maybe even grind their way to a semi. What won't happen? Johnson's masterplan clicks into place and England suddenly start winning big games, stuffing **** teams like Italy and Scotland, and going into the RWC with some realistic hopes.

What should happen? After 2011, we appoint a proper coach (Booth, Mallender, etc.) on a flat out 4 year contract. He can then avoid having to worry about job security, and headlines, and get on with the process of building a team that is globally respected, and one that can go into 2015 with a serious chance of winning.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 1 2010, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
In short, that's a very large pool of talented players who have emerged over the past few years.

Unfortunately, an England coach is so blinkered he sees no further than Sunday morning's headlines.[/b]

This is the standard statement from an English rugby fan since 2003. "We have the talent but we dont have the right coach". The same was said in the last WC, and every other 6 nations tournament since 2003. Looking at it from an outsiders point of view, I dont agree.

The Coach has been changed numerous times and everytime it was as a result of pressure from the press. When are you going to look at the players themselves, and the clubs producing them. Take Danny Care for example. I thought he had a pretty good game but this is the second year in a row when his "attitude" has cost your team points. Last year it was 10 mins in the bin, this year it was a penalty that led to a try. You lost by 4 points.

Johnson wasnt far off picking the team you all were screaming for a few months ago (Borthwick aside). On Saturday they threw the ball around with abandon which you were all screaming for, yet hes still crap.

You lot are starting to remind me of Newcastle fans before the fall.

On the coaching side of things. Hows about you let a coach get more then four years experience in the domestic game before you ruin him. Get a coach from the SH for a few years and get your clubs breeding quality coaches. You bring in Booth and Mallender (Jesus Ive even heard some people talk about Catt) now and you'll get the same **** all over again.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 28 2010, 04:33 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 28 2010, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
2 **** teams. 1 boring game. The slightly less **** team capitalised on the shitter teams silly mistakes.[/b]

Ireland? The best international rugby team in the world? ****? I think not!

Sure they have Flannery, O'Connell, Ferris, Heaslip, O'Gara, Fitzgerald, D'Arcy, BOD, Bowe and Kearney. They'd all be the 1st names on the sheet in a world XV
[/b][/quote]

Made me laugh...

But seriously though, both teams were pretty equal on the night. Ireland have a **** front row, and England dominated their pack almost all night i thought. But England's forwards are working in vein it seems, as their backline just aint going anywhere. Why the hell is Foden not starting ahead of Armitage? Surely England can make some sort of plan to field a replacement for Wilkinson? He just isn't controlling the game at the moment.

Ireland had a couple of positives. I thought Heaslip was pretty good, and Tommy Bowe is always good. Always. Probably the best 14 in the world, and has been for over a year now i think. Earls also had a better game...

Agree with Mite on the whole though. It was a **** game. lol.

Last inch of respect for Johnson gone as he turns into a whiney little ()itch... http://www.planetrugby.com/story/0,25883,1...5995867,00.html

He's complaining about the scrum being given to Ireland at the end of the match.

Care shouldn't have had a penalty overturned against him because he did some sort of wrestling move on O'Leary, - Maybe, but then again maybe he should. Stop being such a whiney little ()itch.

When the Maul was stopped legally and the ball didn't look like it was coming out, though maybe it was or maybe it wasn't, Ireland should have got the ball. - Lawrence was ignoring half the Maul rules and making some up for the entire match. Including at the other side of the pitch. I remember screaming at the TV. Stop being such a whiney little ()itch.

Who does he think he is. Fernando Torres?

Maybe if he'd start Foden and Flood, pick a proper captain and drop Payne....he wouldn't lose against Ireland and scrape a lucky win against Italy.

Edit: All this talk of the English pack dominating. They certainly held an advantage. Particularly in the second half. But I thought that alot of the time in the first half, Ireland were turning over ball and the backs would knock on or kick it away or generally make a mess.

* 8 turnovers to 1 in favour of Ireland.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 1 2010, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 1 2010, 02:48 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
In short, that's a very large pool of talented players who have emerged over the past few years.

Unfortunately, an England coach is so blinkered he sees no further than Sunday morning's headlines.[/b]

This is the standard statement from an English rugby fan since 2003. "We have the talent but we dont have the right coach". The same was said in the last WC, and every other 6 nations tournament since 2003. Looking at it from an outsiders point of view, I dont agree.

The Coach has been changed numerous times and everytime it was as a result of pressure from the press. When are you going to look at the players themselves, and the clubs producing them. Take Danny Care for example. I thought he had a pretty good game but this is the second year in a row when his "attitude" has cost your team points. Last year it was 10 mins in the bin, this year it was a penalty that led to a try. You lost by 4 points.

Johnson wasnt far off picking the team you all were screaming for a few months ago (Borthwick aside). On Saturday they threw the ball around with abandon which you were all screaming for, yet hes still crap.

You lot are starting to remind me of Newcastle fans before the fall.

On the coaching side of things. Hows about you let a coach get more then four years experience in the domestic game before you ruin him. Get a coach from the SH for a few years and get your clubs breeding quality coaches. You bring in Booth and Mallender (Jesus Ive even heard some people talk about Catt) now and you'll get the same **** all over again.
[/b][/quote]

I really don't think the Danny Care incident was lack of discipline. That sort of thing happens all the time and goes unpunished. It was a case of a power-tripping touch judge (who couldn't speak English) making a big deal out of nothing. Besides that, take Shaw, Moody and Easter out of the equation and England hardly concede any penalties and hardly have any yellow cards given. Discipline is not a problem; attitude may well be amongst some young players with massive egos but you hope they grow out of it. Haskell has.

Onto bigger things, every England fan on here (which is basically me, Oly and Mite) have all said for ages that Wilkinson wastes any creativity in his outside backs. We may have had much better tactics on Saturday, but Wilko still took the ball too deep and tried to jink through himself far too often. What didn't help was the fact that no England coach has bothered to procure us a proper 7, added to the fact that the Irish were allowed to put their hands all over the ball in the rucks, meaning we were turned over or got slow ball.

I really think that we're missing chances to build a proper team simply by not being adventurous enough. Obviously now, 1 year before a world cup with the coach STILL under pressure for results and performances, the future is not at the top of everyone's list.

Which is why we need a coach with 4 years to do the job. I'd have no problem with Jake White or anyone, no matter where they come from, so long as they're proven to be a good coach. World class players emerge once given their oppurtunity on the international stage... but they have to be given it first. We haven't managed our talent properly so far.

There are many reasons why England aren't creating many try scoring chances. The main problem is with the pack itself. Whilst they are powerful enough to provide good scrum ball, and decent in the lineout (despite Hartley's throwing), they still manage to produce slow ball 90% of the time. The English forwards are either taking the ball on one time too many and getting slightly isolated or they simply aren't clearing past the ball at ruck time.

Wilkinson has copped alot of flak in recent times, and whilst he doesn't help things atall with how deep he's standing, it's not all his fault. These problems up front are transferred to the scrum half, who doesn't get given good ball at the bottom of rucks, he's then chucking bad ball on to Wilkinson. Against Ireland, Brian Moore and Eddy Buttler pointed out on numerous occasions how the English centres weren't helping Wilkinson in the slightest. Wilkinson hasn't got the option to offload to his centres when things are on the backfoot, which has resulted in him taking the ball on himself (which he's not very good at). There is no dummy running, no angles from the fullback (although Foden was alot better at this), and I don't think I saw the wingers venture infield once!

There is no quick fix solution here. It's not a lack of quality players, it's a lack of just about every aspect of attackign play unfortunately. However producing some quick ball would help things drastically, then maybe Wilkinson can start standing flatter and defenses will be tested.

I think the main reason for the loss was simply Ireland took their chances and England didn't. Personally I don't think much of Danny Care as his ball distribution is slow and he always seems to have to take those two steps. It's time England stopped living off past glory, bring in some younger guys and try to build a team to compete in the 2014 WC

England's forwards are lazy with no dynamism, and there backline is pretty blunt to be honest. I'd put a lot of it down to the coaches, basically they are all shite, every last one of them, but the players aren't as good as the 3N or the Irish or French either.

Gert Smal has been a revelation with the Irish forwards, If England could appoint someone like Jake White and give him free reign to hire whoever he wants instead of the losers and no hopers like Wells and Ford there now things might change.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (MunsterMan @ Mar 1 2010, 04:48 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Gert Smal has been a revelation with the Irish forwards[/b]
He's been brilliant. Players like Stephen Ferris and particularly Jamie Heaslip have improved no end under Smal's control.

Les Kiss has also been brilliant as defence coach. Ireland have a quality staff in place but I feel Alan Gaffney could be doing a little bit better. Ireland can be lethal off first phase ball and also off turnovers (which is very much to Gaffney's credit) but in general play when they move through the phases, the backs don't seem to play what's in front of them and look bereft of ideas at times.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Mar 1 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
we need to start stringing phases together like we used to[/b]
To do that, England need to get quick ball. Their current pack isn't delivering it quickly enough for the backs. I think a new backrow is needed although I'm unsure who should be put in there.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 1 2010, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Mar 1 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
To do that, England need to get quick ball. Their current pack isn't delivering it quickly enough for the backs. I think a new backrow is needed although I'm unsure who should be put in there.
[/b][/quote]

no i mean ireland

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Mar 1 2010, 07:13 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (snoopy snoopy dog dog @ Mar 1 2010, 06:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Mar 1 2010, 06:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

no i mean ireland
[/b][/quote]
doh(1).jpg

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 2 2010, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 1 2010, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Coach has been changed numerous times and everytime it was as a result of pressure from the press. When are you going to look at the players themselves, and the clubs producing them. Take Danny Care for example. I thought he had a pretty good game but this is the second year in a row when his "attitude" has cost your team points. Last year it was 10 mins in the bin, this year it was a penalty that led to a try. You lost by 4 points.[/b]

I really don't think the Danny Care incident was lack of discipline. That sort of thing happens all the time and goes unpunished. It was a case of a power-tripping touch judge (who couldn't speak English) making a big deal out of nothing. Besides that, take Shaw, Moody and Easter out of the equation and England hardly concede any penalties and hardly have any yellow cards given. Discipline is not a problem; attitude may well be amongst some young players with massive egos but you hope they grow out of it. Haskell has.[/b][/quote]
The thing to take from the Care incident is that Ireland went down the pitch and scored from that turnover. The rest of the match, Ireland were giving away penalties all over the pitch, including their own half, and England made very few gains.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Mar 1 2010, 07:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Mar 2 2010, 01:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Mar 1 2010, 08:58 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
The Coach has been changed numerous times and everytime it was as a result of pressure from the press. When are you going to look at the players themselves, and the clubs producing them. Take Danny Care for example. I thought he had a pretty good game but this is the second year in a row when his "attitude" has cost your team points. Last year it was 10 mins in the bin, this year it was a penalty that led to a try. You lost by 4 points.[/b]

I really don't think the Danny Care incident was lack of discipline. That sort of thing happens all the time and goes unpunished. It was a case of a power-tripping touch judge (who couldn't speak English) making a big deal out of nothing. Besides that, take Shaw, Moody and Easter out of the equation and England hardly concede any penalties and hardly have any yellow cards given. Discipline is not a problem; attitude may well be amongst some young players with massive egos but you hope they grow out of it. Haskell has.[/b][/quote]
The thing to take from the Care incident is that Ireland went down the pitch and scored from that turnover. The rest of the match, Ireland were giving away penalties all over the pitch, including their own half, and England made very few gains.
[/b][/quote]

Yes. Ireland certainly earned their win simply because they were so clinical with their chances. This is where English sides really need to watch the S14, because whenever we win turnovers the ball is kicked into space, while they (and Ireland) chuck it out wide ASAP and score.

Another thing to notice is that as soon as England get into the 22, we very rarely create an overlap and put the winger into the corner. It's either drop goal or forwards driving it over. Alternatively, some prick like Wilkinson or Geraghty decides that the right option is a 5th Tackle RL style grubber/ chip, when we should be able to keep the ball in hand and break through out wide.There's no point in having the quickest winger in the 6N if he never gets the ball in space.

Finally, when our set-piece back moves came off, they were very effective. But the Irish were brilliant at getting covering defence back, and it's Moody's job to be the first on the scene here in support or securing the ball (a la Martyn Williams or any traditional 7). On the other hand, no one was around for Bowe's 2nd try - no flanker, no scrum half, no blindside winger, no fullback. I know he gets slated a lot, but Harry Ellis was outstanding as a covering defender; something that is a major weakness of Danny Care's game. He should have done much better for Earls as well, we had more than enough time to organise the defence.

Basically, because England's front 5> Ireland's front 5, we dominated posession. Because Ireland's back row > England's back row, we weren't able to convert posession into quick ball and pressure. And because Ireland's defence > England's defence, we were outscored.

Pretty good summary, except I'd say England's front 5 was more like a front 8. A big heavy pack that did f*** all except stand around inspecting rucks. And you brought off Moody too who was having a much better game than Bland Haskell or Easter.

I think some of the criticism of Wilko is unfair too, I think he genuinely wanted to play, but he had no decent runners to bring in to the game because your backs, who are very athletic, just don't have the nous to pick the lines of a BOD/Lee Byrne/Tommy Bowe. He also had no backrow options on his shoulders except for Easter once (you nearly scored iirc), but after that Easter was shagged and did nothing but stand around for the rest of the game.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Feb 28 2010, 09:54 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nat @ Feb 28 2010, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Great to see England get spanked at Twickers :bravo:.[/b]
I love how no matter how many points England lose by, it's a "spanking"
Four points is not a "spanking"
I've seen people say we got "thrashed" last year, when we lost by one point.
[/b][/quote]
England losing at home is a spanking. Ask anyone in world rugby, to lose at home is to be spanked!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Mar 1 2010, 04:28 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Johnson is too stubborn to be the manager.
He picked his mates when he first started, and now isn't going to drop them because that would be admitting he was wrong to pick them in the first place.[/b]
Just another reason to get rid of Johnno. England has a awesum pool of players to pick but coach doesn't seem to pick on form and what is with all the trouble with picking English players playing in France?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Feb 28 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nat @ Feb 28 2010, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munsterrugby10 @ Feb 28 2010, 04:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I LOVE BEING IRISH :D . I LOVE TOMMY BOWE, BEST FINISHER IN THE WORLD[/b]
Tommy Bowe is in no way the best finisher in the world. That would be Habana or Shane Williams. Tommy is over-rated.
[/b][/quote]

Whilst I agree that Habana and Shane are better finishers saying Bowe is overrated is, quite frankly, wrong. Tommy can boast as being one of the best wingers in NH rugby. Overrated players don't start 2 tests for the Lions against the World Champions
[/b][/quote]
I believe the Lions lost two tests against the World Champions and I can name about 15 other players that are better than Tommy Bowe. Its like the English with Matt Tait, Tait is fast but can't tackle and can't kick. Crazy.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nat @ Mar 2 2010, 08:17 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Feb 28 2010, 09:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nat @ Feb 28 2010, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munsterrugby10 @ Feb 28 2010, 04:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I LOVE BEING IRISH :D . I LOVE TOMMY BOWE, BEST FINISHER IN THE WORLD[/b]
Tommy Bowe is in no way the best finisher in the world. That would be Habana or Shane Williams. Tommy is over-rated.
[/b][/quote]

Whilst I agree that Habana and Shane are better finishers saying Bowe is overrated is, quite frankly, wrong. Tommy can boast as being one of the best wingers in NH rugby. Overrated players don't start 2 tests for the Lions against the World Champions
[/b][/quote]
I believe the Lions lost two tests against the World Champions and I can name about 15 other players that are better than Tommy Bowe. Its like the English with Matt Tait, Tait is fast but can't tackle and can't kick. Crazy.
[/b][/quote]
Other way round, Tait isn't that fast, but can tackle and kick ;)

Latest posts