• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Vs Ireland

It's time to get rid of Englands kicking donkey at no 10.
No flair.

The most over hyped rugby player I have ever seen.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Feb 27 2010, 07:57 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Not to mention:
a) Ignoring anything that England did wrong in the scrum. Mainly when they start driving before the ball was placed in the ruck EVERY time.
B) Ireland had hands in the ruck but more than once England had held on in the ruck for about 5 seconds but that's only a penalty when Ireland did it.
c) His strange obsession with giving making up the rules in the maul...(but that was annoying for both teams).[/b]

Lawrence had a nightmare for the entire game, but England can feel quite hard done by because when it got to the 75th minute the decisions went against them. An English maul drives 30metres and collapses. Hodgson moves in to recycle the ball but before he can the whistle is blown and it's an Irish scrum? I couldn't for the life of me work that one out. Then at the very last breakdown O'Gara was so far offside it was ridiculous.

He was bad for both teams, but in the big decisions Ireland were slightly more fortunate.

Much better performance from England, actually looking to play rugby a bit more. It was a better performance from Wilkinson, and I wonder if the problems aren't the tactics or the positioning, but simply that Wilkinson and Flutey don't work well together? If that's the case then I think England have to look toward the future and give Flood some game time. Danny Care had a typical Danny Care game; from the sublime to the ridiculous within thirty seconds. He is too inconsistent and too unreliable to start in international rugby. The loose forwards have to look at the way the Irish were so effective today and learn from their mistakes.

In terms of Ireland, well they played the perfect away team role. Soaked up as much pressure as they could without conceding too much territory and when they saw the opportunity they turned the ball over well. More importantly, when they had the chances they were clinical. In terms of their gameplan it was very well executed.

It's just a shame for me that poor refereeing has blighted what was a very intriguing contest.

It's a good point about England just not having the players. How many of them would make the Irish/French team? Very few In my opinion, which is scandalous considering the resources England have.

Anyway, I touched on it earlier, but I feel the need to point out that Stephen Ferris is in a complete class of his own at the moment, Rocky Elsom his only rival on the world stage. His power is unbelievable, there were times when I'd see a big hit/cleanout/whatever and not be able to tell who did it, guess it was Ferris, and lo and behold when the players start to pick themselves up it was the guy in the black scrum cap once again. Outstanding performance, MoM by a distance.

Who cares because Earls was brilliant today :bravo:

But seriously England's problem is they're picking the NAMES and not the form players.

Foden played today for 20mins or so and was more a threat in the 20mins than Armitage in the past 3games.
Ashton is form winger, Lawes played well tonight (although I think he is a lock and not a 6) and should at least have a bench spot.

Like I think Monye was slightly shown up today defensively.
Englands other problem is there is no consistency like players struggles to settle in it seems as they fear getting the chop quick.

Monye did fine, was slightly fortunate as other referees would not have given either of the penalties for the "tackles in the air", but Bowe vs Monye was a contest Ireland clearly thought they could win, and I thought Monye dealt with the special treatment well. If I had to drop an English winger it wouldn't be him, solid but not spectacular isn't good enough for a winger at this level IMO, sorry Mr. Cueto.

Great to see England get spanked at Twickers :bravo:. Go the Irish to win! Oh and I think its time England got a real coach and let Johnno go. He should have starting coaching at a lower level first.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munsterrugby10 @ Feb 28 2010, 04:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I LOVE BEING IRISH :D . I LOVE TOMMY BOWE, BEST FINISHER IN THE WORLD[/b]
Tommy Bowe is in no way the best finisher in the world. That would be Habana or Shane Williams. Tommy is over-rated.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 28 2010, 03:53 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
At the risk of sounding like a sore loser, at what point does Mark Lawrence start awarding penalties and yellow cards for persistant slowing the ball down?[/b]
You should watch the Super 14 with some of these kiwi teams close to the line, only this year have the refs started pinging them for it. Aus and SA do it too don't get me wrong but the kiwis are the worst for it. Oh and I see Jonathan Kaplin refed the Wales-France match, now that you have him in the Northern Hem you have to keep him, no backsys! LOL

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Feb 27 2010, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 27 2010, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
There was also one point where Sexton gave a beautiful chip over Monye's head and as he scrambled back to get the ball 3 Irish players were bearing down on him and he got flustered and knocked the ball into touch by England's 22 meter line but the ref gave a scrum for England?[/b]
He blew the whistle before/as Sexton kicked,
It was because Ireland took a quick throw for a lineout, but not moved closer to the England tryline to take it, resulting in an England lineout or scrum, whichever they wanted

[/b][/quote]

yeah I remember that now actually... still seems like a bit of a weird thing to call them up on. It's one of those rules that refs generally let slide. like a scrum half feeding the ball to his own hooker in the scrum. How many times have you seen teams take a couple extra meters for the quick throw in just to get called back and have to take a proper line out... The only reason he turned it over for England was cause of how close Ireland were to the try line. Which I suppose is fair. But I still think England don't have the ref to blame cause, like I said, he was just as unfair on Ireland.
Johnson's the man to blame. So much talent in that team but they sometimes look like headless chickens. They're not really sure what they're supposed to be trying to do. They need a real leader or 2 out there. At least someone whos not afraid of Johnson. Imagine how terrible it must be to be losing at half time and know you have to go in to face some maniac screaming at you.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nat @ Feb 28 2010, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munsterrugby10 @ Feb 28 2010, 04:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Tommy Bowe is in no way the best finisher in the world. That would be Habana or Shane Williams. Tommy is over-rated.
[/b][/quote]

Whilst I agree that Habana and Shane are better finishers saying Bowe is overrated is, quite frankly, wrong. Tommy can boast as being one of the best wingers in NH rugby. Overrated players don't start 2 tests for the Lions against the World Champions

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nat @ Feb 28 2010, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munsterrugby10 @ Feb 28 2010, 04:44 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

Problem with Shane Williams is that though he's a brilliant finished, as seen again on Friday, he's been forcing things in the last year or so and he gets his team in a hole sometime. He is coming back to his old self though. Don't think he'll ever reach the same heights as a few years ago though.

Tommy Bowe is not overrated :toss:

good points

managed to score some good tries
played with enthusiasim
good at the breakdown, managed to turnover some of the english ball
wingers played well
great defense

bad points

need to start stringing together more phases
scrum needs to be stronger
made quite a few errors
need to stop kneeing our own players in the head lol

MOTM: tommy bowe IMO

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Feb 28 2010, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nat @ Feb 28 2010, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

Whilst I agree that Habana and Shane are better finishers saying Bowe is overrated is, quite frankly, wrong. Tommy can boast as being one of the best wingers in NH rugby. Overrated players don't start 2 tests for the Lions against the World Champions
[/b][/quote]

OI! He started all 3, just the third one was at second centre.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Monkeypigeon @ Feb 28 2010, 11:29 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Feb 28 2010, 11:27 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nat @ Feb 28 2010, 02:15 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

OI! He started all 3, just the third one was at second centre.
[/b][/quote]

Oh yeah

Duh

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Nat @ Feb 28 2010, 02:09 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Great to see England get spanked at Twickers :bravo:.[/b]
I love how no matter how many points England lose by, it's a "spanking"
Four points is not a "spanking"
I've seen people say we got "thrashed" last year, when we lost by one point.

[/b][/quote]

He's not the top try scorer in this season's Heineken Cup for nothing. Maybe not the best in the world, but he's certainly up there.

I think he's the best number 14 around. I'm pretty much saying that purely because I'm Irish but it's not untrue. He'd certainly be heavily in contention for the jersey in a world XV.

2 **** teams. 1 boring game. The slightly less **** team capitalised on the shitter teams silly mistakes.

Luckily there were 2 a much better matches before and immediately after.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Rogue Gallery @ Feb 27 2010, 10:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
It's time to get rid of Englands kicking donkey at no 10.
No flair.

The most over hyped rugby player I have ever seen.[/b]
Nope, that would be <strike>Kelly Brooks wife</strike> Cipriani. At least (despite his other faults) Wilkinson has won something in his career.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 28 2010, 02:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
2 **** teams. 1 boring game. The slightly less **** team capitalised on the shitter teams silly mistakes.[/b]

Ireland? The best international rugby team in the world? ****? I think not!

Sure they have Flannery, O'Connell, Ferris, Heaslip, O'Gara, Fitzgerald, D'Arcy, BOD, Bowe and Kearney. They'd all be the 1st names on the sheet in a world XV

Latest posts