• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Vs Ireland

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Feb 27 2010, 06:34 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm starting to think maybe England just don't have the players this year:

There is no second world-class lock. Shaw does his bit, and Borthwick is good in the lineout, but average elsewhere. Kennedy is the same. Lawes is not ready this year. Deacon is GP standard at best.

There isn't a complete backrower. Each have their positives, but there is no Parisse, Heaslip, Smith, McCaw or Harinodoquy. No one with a complete game.

There is no world-class fly half. Wilkinson diminishing daily, Flood lacks something special, Geraghty fluffs it, Cipriani is a douche, Hodgson can't do anything right for England, Myler has no experience. I could go on and on.

There is no international quality crashball centre in the whole of the English game. Clarke, Hape, Barritt, Waldouck are good but far from the finished article. I don't think the team would be any better with these players in the starting XV.

England have picked their best fit players in every position, and the gameplan is wrong but maybe there just aren't enough good footballers? The H-Cup performances by English clubs tells us something too.[/b]
Add in Foden (Best 15 in England) is a water carrier and wouldn't have got a came if Arnitage stayed fit
Ashton (best winger in England at moment) isn't even considered.
And alot more players who aren't selected when on form.

I think that's the opposite !Dan, you'll have more chances to get a result against us as we'll be less under pressure.

Let's keep in memory for at least 3 weeks the bad experience of yesteday's second half !

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.cyclopede @ Feb 27 2010, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I think that's the opposite !Dan, you'll have more chances to get a result against us as we'll be less under pressure.

Let's keep in memory for at least 3 weeks the bad experience of yesteday's second half ![/b]

And last years match against England too.

:cryy: :cryy: java script:add_smilie(%22:cryy:%22,%22smid_31%22)java script:add_smilie(%22:cryy:%22,%22smid_31%22)java script:add_smilie(%22:cryy:%22,%22smid_31%22)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Mr.cyclopede @ Feb 27 2010, 06:50 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

Let's keep in memory for at least 3 weeks the bad experience of yesteday's second half ![/b]

I suppose, but we've hardly put up an attacking display like the Welsh have during the 6 Nations so far.

_47387157_losers_getty766.jpg

Think we'll be seeing a bit more of this over the next 3 weeks.

Thing is England thought they were progressing after beating a very poor Wales side and scraping past Italy.

There seems to be too much loyalty fro Johnson which is keeping form players out.

Pointers about the game:

1. England really dominated, both posession and territory, thanks to a far better gameplan that would have come off on another day. Our pack looked good going forward and the scrum was excellent. Kicking was kept to a minimum, which was excellent.
2. Ireland were incredibly clinical. You see the S14 teams get the ball out wide in a matter of seconds from a turnover, and the Irish did the same for their first try. The second was well finished despite lucky field position from a dodgy penalty reversal. 3rd was brilliantly executed.
3. I thought Lawrence's refereeing of the breakdown was crucial. I really don't want to blame the referee, but the amount of dominance England had was systematically ruined by Lawrence's failure to penalise the Irish players who constantly had their hands in there slowing the ball down.

Players:

* Dan Cole was excellent, although I'd expect anyone to scrummage well against Cian Healy.
* Hartley was great in the loose and awful with his throwing. I prefer Mears.
* Wilkinson really needs to go. His kicking percentage is not immaculate; he still stands too deep; and what's more he doesn't get his backs moving at all.
* Foden looked very comfortable when he came on.

For England, now the Grand Slam is out of the window, we shouldn't worry so much about winning, winning, winning and we need to sort out some problems and try some other options.

* Payne is not a great loosehead; Mullan may well be. Let's get him in.
* Shaw is getting on and injured, Deacon is useless. Lawes needs a go.
* Saull or even Armitage need a good try at 7. England could do with a fetcher.
* Flood has to be 10
* Ashton should come in for Cueto
* Foden should get a go at fullback for 80 mins
* Gameplan used today is good. Once things start to click, and with better refereeing, we'll run in tries against most sides.

Lastly, hats off to Ireland for a fantastic defensive performance, and being so clinical. Just about deserved the win.

As an Irishman the result was great obviously, but I think the English can hold there heads high.

I noticed a huge improvement on the English side over previous years, Made for a great game to watch.

I love edge of your seat matches like this one was.

I think the slight edge that Ireland had was the experience of the players.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 27 2010, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I thought Lawrence's refereeing of the breakdown was crucial. I really don't want to blame the referee, but the amount of dominance England had was systematically ruined by Lawrence's failure to penalise the Irish players who constantly had their hands in there slowing the ball down.[/b]

I don't agree with this. I thought his terrible refereeing was equally unfair on both teams. There were a few occasions where I couldn't make head nor tail of his logic. On 2 occasions when Monye was being challenged for a high ball, because the opposing player touched him it was deemed as a tackle off the ball. There was also one point where Sexton gave a beautiful chip over Monye's head and as he scrambled back to get the ball 3 Irish players were bearing down on him and he got flustered and knocked the ball into touch by England's 22 meter line but the ref gave a scrum for England?

Not to mention:
a) Ignoring anything that England did wrong in the scrum. Mainly when they start driving before the ball was placed in the ruck EVERY time.
B) Ireland had hands in the ruck but more than once England had held on in the ruck for about 5 seconds but that's only a penalty when Ireland did it.
c) His strange obsession with giving making up the rules in the maul...(but that was annoying for both teams).

After switching away from RTE coverage because they suck, I had to turn back on several occasionas today because of the unbelievable bias of that Scottish oaf in the first game, and Brian Moore's in the second game, although it wasn't as bad, but still nice to see Healy tell it like it is (quality analyst).

Seriously, Moore complained for ages for Ireland getting a penalty for Care tackling O'Leary when the ball wasn't in play, that was all that happened, Care made no attempt to get the ball, he just lifted up and threw a player who was facing away from him. Stonewall penalty, no argument.

Breakdowns very messy, I don't think either team got away with much more than anyone else, nice (if a bit annoying at first) to see offside enforced though.

Tommy Bowe and Stephen Ferris :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 27 2010, 07:21 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
* Shaw is getting on and injured, Deacon is useless. Lawes needs a go.[/b]

I doubt anyone will be suprised to know that Lawes put in a brilliant performance for Saints' tonight. Only bettered by Dowson. Selection policy?

At one point, late in the game.. the ref was referred to as 'Mark Lawrenson'. Explains a lot then :D

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 27 2010, 07:51 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
There was also one point where Sexton gave a beautiful chip over Monye's head and as he scrambled back to get the ball 3 Irish players were bearing down on him and he got flustered and knocked the ball into touch by England's 22 meter line but the ref gave a scrum for England?[/b]
He blew the whistle before/as Sexton kicked,
It was because Ireland took a quick throw for a lineout, but not moved closer to the England tryline to take it, resulting in an England lineout or scrum, whichever they wanted

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Feb 28 2010, 06:34 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
I'm starting to think maybe England just don't have the players this year:

There is no second world-class lock. Shaw does his bit, and Borthwick is good in the lineout, but average elsewhere. Kennedy is the same. Lawes is not ready this year. Deacon is GP standard at best.

There isn't a complete backrower. Each have their positives, but there is no Parisse, Heaslip, Smith, McCaw or Harinodoquy. No one with a complete game.

There is no world-class fly half. Wilkinson diminishing daily, Flood lacks something special, Geraghty fluffs it, Cipriani is a douche, Hodgson can't do anything right for England, Myler has no experience. I could go on and on.

There is no international quality crashball centre in the whole of the English game. Clarke, Hape, Barritt, Waldouck are good but far from the finished article. I don't think the team would be any better with these players in the starting XV.

England have picked their best fit players in every position, and the gameplan is wrong but maybe there just aren't enough good footballers? The H-Cup performances by English clubs tells us something too.[/b]
Shocking, isn't it? Have England added a single top quality player to the bones of their 2003 squad? Just one player you could say, Best in Britain without a doubt (never mind Europe)? No. They have a production line of flash-in-the-pan backs, and the balance is made up of players good enough for the HEC and mid-table finishes in the 6N. And yet they got to the RWC final in 2007. :huh: Very frustrating.

Ireland did not deserve to live with England today - the maul and scrum were almost complete murder, giving huge advantage in territory and possession. That's the core of English rugby that cannot be destroyed. But for some reason England can't do the business when a bit of wit and intelligence is needed, whereas France could a fortnight ago.

Latest posts