• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Vs Ireland

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 23 2010, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 23 2010, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Feb 23 2010, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not saying its a bad thing i was just woundering. I have nothing against people playing for a country that they call their home.
the problem is over here we always get branded as english while we are only in the united kingdom (not britain) i dont mind be called british but everything is english over here.[/b]

News to me we're in the UK? Thought that was the whole point of the war of independance and external association and all that jazz.
[/b][/quote]

He be from Jersey...
[/b][/quote]

now that is an insult lol

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Feb 23 2010, 08:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 23 2010, 07:39 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 23 2010, 07:31 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (coonor @ Feb 23 2010, 07:29 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I'm not saying its a bad thing i was just woundering. I have nothing against people playing for a country that they call their home.
the problem is over here we always get branded as english while we are only in the united kingdom (not britain) i dont mind be called british but everything is english over here.[/b]

News to me we're in the UK? Thought that was the whole point of the war of independance and external association and all that jazz.
[/b][/quote]

He be from Jersey...
[/b][/quote]

now that is an insult lol
[/b][/quote]

sorry meant guernsey!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 24 2010, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
http://www.irishrugby.ie/10735_19806.php

15 - Geordan Murphy (Leicester)
14 - Tommy Bowe (Ospreys)
13 - Brian O'Driscoll (UCD/Leinster) (capt)
12 - Gordon D'Arcy (Lansdowne/Leinster)
11 - Keith Earls (Young Munster/Munster)
10 - Jonathan Sexton (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
9 - Tomas O'Leary (Dolphin/Munster)
1 - Cian Healy (Clontarf/Leinster)
2 - Rory Best (Banbridge/Ulster)
3 - John Hayes (Bruff/Munster)
4 - Donncha O'Callaghan (Cork Constitution/Munster)
5 - Paul O'Connell (Young Munster/Munster)
6 - Stephen Ferris (Dungannon/Ulster)
7 - David Wallace (Garryowen/Munster)
8 - Jamie Heaslip (Naas/Leinster)

Replacements (from): 16 - Sean Cronin (Buccaneers/Connacht)
17 - Tony Buckley (Shannon/Munster)
18 - Leo Cullen (Blackrock College/Leinster)
19 - Shane Jennings (St. Mary's College/Leinster)
20 - Eoin Reddan (Lansdowne/Leinster)
21 - Ronan O'Gara (Cork Constitution/Munster)
22 - Andrew Trimble (Ballymena/Ulster)[/b]
Confirmed now? Bolded my questionables.

I guess the changes are horses for courses - except Sexton. Why is ROG still in the squad, when Kidney has gone with Wallace so often as back up? Good question, I think - suspect the Great Change hasn't yet happened.

Trimble? Meh. Buckley and Healy, up against Payne, is it? Pfff.

Only real gripe ... where is Horgan! Oversized Saxo cubes only dissolve in boiling water.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mulldog @ Feb 23 2010, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Ireland Team (My Changes):
15. G Murphy (Earls)
14. T Bowe
13. B O'Driscoll
12. G D'Arcy
11. K Earls (Trimble)
10. J Sexton
9. T O'Leary (Reddan)
1. C Healy
2. R Best
3. J Hayes
4. D O'Callaghan (Cullen)
5. P O'Connell
6. S Ferris
7. D Wallace
8. J Heaslip

Replacements:
16. S Cronin
17. T Buckley
18. L Cullen (O'Callaghan)
19. S Jennings
20. E Reddan (O'Leary)
21. R O'Gara
22. A Trimble (Horgan)

Don’t totally agree with Kidney's selection, if it were me I would have had Earls in at full back with Trimble on the wing. Defiantly is a tight call between Trimble and Horgan especially with Horgan playing well during the weekend and perhaps having the edge on Trimble in the experience department as well. However after the France game, Kidney should be concentrating on building for the World Cup and playing Trimble (25) in a game like this rather than Horgan (31) would be far more beneficial to this cause. Also if he had done this he would have seen whether Earls is capable in providing cover for Kearney in the future rather than starting Murphy who is only back from a long term injury and who is also not the youngest.

Glad to see Sexton at 10, think Reddan would have been a better choice at 9, as Sexton is more used to playing with him, and would be helpful to him as he will be only winning his 4th cap in a high pressure game against England at Twickenham. Would also give Kidney a chance to see what Reddan is made of as he has had little playing time under him.

Unsure about big Donncha at second row, hasn't been playing out of his skin for Munster this year, but you can't really fault him either I suppose. On form Leo Cullen should have got the nood in my opinion. Both players are getting on in years especially Cullen.

Best was the obvious choice to replace Flannery at hooker. I think he should be Ireland's number 1, he’s a good bit younger than Flannery (4 Years), and he also more solid in the scrum, which if a major weakness for Ireland at the moment. Flannerys line out throwing is superior but in saying that Best can still throw well.

Would like to see Jennings get some game time as he is an out and out number 7 and I feel Ireland need to explore their options there. If the scrum is going reasonably well I feel Ireland should give Cronin a run out as well.

The Game is a tight won to call; all depends on who plays well I suppose. Ireland by 5!!![/b]
Agree with Shaggy point and I think he more of a threat than Trimble who tends to shy away.

DOC was having great season for Munster up until injury and it hard to put finger on it like I think he is good enough to start but Cullen definitely didn't deserve the chop and I don't know did Kidney pick him for his experience, age or just because he feels Paulie performs better with DOC i don't know.

Best as you say is the superior scrummager but his darts have effecte his game in the past and that is his only flaw.

Still I can't disagree with team like i'll agree O'Leary is lucky to keep spot but I just think Reddan had to be outstanding last weekend for Leinster to even get a sniff of jersey as Kidney was never going to make large amount of changes. (I even surprised he made as many as he did although 2 were enforced)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 23 2010, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 24 2010, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

I guess the changes are horses for courses - except Sexton. Why is ROG still in the squad, when Kidney has gone with Wallace so often as back up? Good question, I think - suspect the Great Change hasn't yet happened.

Only real gripe ... where is Horgan! Oversized Saxo cubes only dissolve in boiling water.
[/b][/quote]

What did the number 16 do to you? :p I wouldn't about Healy, from what we've seen the English scrum is no great shakes. However with him and Buckley onthe area could develope into a nightmare.

Buckley is there for 1 thing - Power.

If he get a ball in the loose and gets going he takes so much stopping that it can rattle English defense.
I think he'll be ok against and English scrum which is nearly as poor as ours so wouldn't worry about front row.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 24 2010, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 23 2010, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 24 2010, 12:55 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

What did the number 16 do to you? :p I wouldn't about Healy, from what we've seen the English scrum is no great shakes. However with him and Buckley onthe area could develope into a nightmare.
[/b][/quote]
I missed out Cronin - riding shotgun in the replacements line. Not questionable, deserves it.

Another nightmare would be Trimble and Murphy on at the same time to deal with England's kicking.

Good OP, Tarbh Beag!

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 23 2010, 09:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (feicarsinn @ Feb 24 2010, 09:19 AM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (shtove @ Feb 23 2010, 09:16 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
I missed out Cronin - riding shotgun in the replacements line. Not questionable, deserves it.

Another nightmare would be Trimble and Murphy on at the same time to deal with England's kicking.

Good OP, Tarbh Beag!
[/b][/quote]
Ha that could be disaster.
But Trimble puzzles me and I admit I not his biggest fan. But what he does in an Ulster shirt can be at times breath-taking but with Ireland he simply has a mental block or poor attitude and just doesn't seem to perform and it not on-off it 99% off. Really think Horgan should be ahead of him on bench but think Shaggys age counted against him.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (munstermuffin @ Feb 23 2010, 09:17 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (mulldog @ Feb 23 2010, 07:40 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Ireland Team (My Changes):
15. G Murphy (Earls)
14. T Bowe
13. B O'Driscoll
12. G D'Arcy
11. K Earls (Trimble)
10. J Sexton
9. T O'Leary (Reddan)
1. C Healy
2. R Best
3. J Hayes
4. D O'Callaghan (Cullen)
5. P O'Connell
6. S Ferris
7. D Wallace
8. J Heaslip

Replacements:
16. S Cronin
17. T Buckley
18. L Cullen (O'Callaghan)
19. S Jennings
20. E Reddan (O'Leary)
21. R O'Gara
22. A Trimble (Horgan)

Don’t totally agree with Kidney's selection, if it were me I would have had Earls in at full back with Trimble on the wing. Defiantly is a tight call between Trimble and Horgan especially with Horgan playing well during the weekend and perhaps having the edge on Trimble in the experience department as well. However after the France game, Kidney should be concentrating on building for the World Cup and playing Trimble (25) in a game like this rather than Horgan (31) would be far more beneficial to this cause. Also if he had done this he would have seen whether Earls is capable in providing cover for Kearney in the future rather than starting Murphy who is only back from a long term injury and who is also not the youngest.

Glad to see Sexton at 10, think Reddan would have been a better choice at 9, as Sexton is more used to playing with him, and would be helpful to him as he will be only winning his 4th cap in a high pressure game against England at Twickenham. Would also give Kidney a chance to see what Reddan is made of as he has had little playing time under him.

Unsure about big Donncha at second row, hasn't been playing out of his skin for Munster this year, but you can't really fault him either I suppose. On form Leo Cullen should have got the nood in my opinion. Both players are getting on in years especially Cullen.

Best was the obvious choice to replace Flannery at hooker. I think he should be Ireland's number 1, he’s a good bit younger than Flannery (4 Years), and he also more solid in the scrum, which if a major weakness for Ireland at the moment. Flannerys line out throwing is superior but in saying that Best can still throw well.

Would like to see Jennings get some game time as he is an out and out number 7 and I feel Ireland need to explore their options there. If the scrum is going reasonably well I feel Ireland should give Cronin a run out as well.

The Game is a tight won to call; all depends on who plays well I suppose. Ireland by 5!!![/b]
Agree with Shaggy point and I think he more of a threat than Trimble who tends to shy away.

DOC was having great season for Munster up until injury and it hard to put finger on it like I think he is good enough to start but Cullen definitely didn't deserve the chop and I don't know did Kidney pick him for his experience, age or just because he feels Paulie performs better with DOC i don't know.

Best as you say is the superior scrummager but his darts have effecte his game in the past and that is his only flaw.

Still I can't disagree with team like i'll agree O'Leary is lucky to keep spot but I just think Reddan had to be outstanding last weekend for Leinster to even get a sniff of jersey as Kidney was never going to make large amount of changes. (I even surprised he made as many as he did although 2 were enforced)
[/b][/quote]

Points taken munstermuffin, in regards to DOC starting its hard to tell why as Kidney has went for him, I feel Cullen has added a bit more beef to the scrum and the line out has been arguably Irelands strongest department thus far in the championship. DOC can probably get around the park more, non the less he will still need a big performance at the weekend to keep his place and I can definitely see Cullen getting at least 30 mins. Perhaps Kidney is trying to create incresed competiveness among the second rows, this is great to see and can only be good for Ireland at the end of the day. After all it’s been a long time since DOC was fighting for his place. However would like to see some of the younger guys making a claim in the next year or so i.e. Donncha Ryan, Devin Toner, Dan Tuhoy, also think big Ed O'Donoghue deserves a shout out as well.

Agree with you mulldog and I expect D.Ryan and Tuothy to make impact on national team in years to come.

But I think Kidney must be given alot of credit for the way he has blended these players in to the squad and for once we really do have a squad.

Wilkinson made very little sense. He obviously knows why people are criticising him, and pretty much anything that's said about his game, good or bad. He seems like he can cope with the criticism, which in a way is good... but you'd expect after a performance like that, he would hold his hands up and say sorry. But this is not the company line.

He says England are building, but are they? To me, building on a good win over Wales would mean a convincing win over Italy. They took backward steps.

Grinding out wins is all good, but it's not sustainable. Eventually someone will bite you on the arse. On the other hand, good sides look good most of the time, and still have the ability to grind out the tight ones when they need to.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (gingergenius @ Feb 24 2010, 09:03 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Wilkinson made very little sense. He obviously knows why people are criticising him, and pretty much anything that's said about his game, good or bad. He seems like he can cope with the criticism, which in a way is good... but you'd expect after a performance like that, he would hold his hands up and say sorry. But this is not the company line.

He says England are building, but are they? To me, building on a good win over Wales would mean a convincing win over Italy. They took backward steps.

Grinding out wins is all good, but it's not sustainable. Eventually someone will bite you on the arse. On the other hand, good sides look good most of the time, and still have the ability to grind out the tight ones when they need to.[/b]

If they try to play like that against Ireland they will get torn to pieces, if Italy had a bit more cutting edge in their back-line they could/should have won. Ireland backine against that "tactic"? No Chance of winning.

Interesting Tweet from Matt Dawson:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
mattjsdawson @willcarling pls tell me u heard wilko interview on 5live lastnight[/b]

He doesn't sound to impressed about it.

Will be a close game for me as I'm half English and half Irish, well I'd say more 29% Irish 31% English due to being born and bred here :p I'll be pleased whatever the result, but I'll be wanting an England win over anything.

We definitely need to step up after the Italy match, but in terms of our mentality going into this Ireland are a different kettle of fish, we'll put in a much better performance without a doubt, I'm feeling a bit confident we'll get the win here.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (!Dan @ Feb 24 2010, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Will be a close game for me as I'm half English and half Irish, well I'd say more 29% Irish 31% English due to being born and bred here :p I'll be pleased whatever the result, but I'll be wanting an England win over anything.

We definitely need to step up after the Italy match, but in terms of our mentality going into this Ireland are a different kettle of fish, we'll put in a much better performance without a doubt, I'm feeling a bit confident we'll get the win here.[/b]

whats the other 50%?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Feb 24 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (!Dan @ Feb 24 2010, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

We definitely need to step up after the Italy match, but in terms of our mentality going into this Ireland are a different kettle of fish, we'll put in a much better performance without a doubt, I'm feeling a bit confident we'll get the win here.[/b]

whats the other 50%?
[/b][/quote]

TRFer, as are all of us ;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Feb 24 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Feb 24 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whats the other 50%?
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

:D

Lol 49 and 51 is what I meant :p

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Feb 24 2010, 09:53 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Feb 24 2010, 10:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whats the other 50%?
[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

I know, they say there is no cure ;) :lol:

Latest posts