• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England Vs Ireland

Will be imteresting to see how Sexton does?
I mean this as in I know he will perform but tactically will he be told kick for corners or spin it out and lets see if he can unleash the likes of Earls and Bowe.

Also what I like about Sexton over ROG is Sexton take's ball on himself at times and poses an extra threat in that sense that ROG didn't.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Feb 24 2010, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (!Dan @ Feb 24 2010, 09:46 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will be a close game for me as I'm half English and half Irish, well I'd say more 29% Irish 31% English due to being born and bred here :p I'll be pleased whatever the result, but I'll be wanting an England win over anything.

We definitely need to step up after the Italy match, but in terms of our mentality going into this Ireland are a different kettle of fish, we'll put in a much better performance without a doubt, I'm feeling a bit confident we'll get the win here.[/b]

whats the other 50%?
[/b][/quote]

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
FacePalm.jpg

Very interesting comparison between Wilko and Trinh-Duc:

From THE TIMES:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE </div>
Let’s ask a few questions. When was the last time Wilkinson played five England matches with the same scrum half? More and more we talk of the importance of half-back pairings being settled and we see the France duo of Morgan Parra and François Trinh-Duc working so well together.

Yet we seem to expect Wilkinson to create miracles. When was the last time he played five matches with the same inside centre? The last time he played in a really settled side was in 2003. That is not a criticism of selectors or players, it is fact...

...A few stark stats. Trinh-Duc, the man of the match for France, was the player everyone wanted to talk about last weekend, so he seems a good starting point for comparison.

Both have made 11 tackles in their two matches: Wilkinson has missed none, his France counterpart four; Trinh-Duc has made three errors and Wilkinson none; Wilkinson has made 25 good kicks for territory, the Frenchman 20; Trinh-Duc has 14 caps and Wilkinson 75. He would probably have exceeded 100 but for injury.[/b]

Are we convinced?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 24 2010, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Feb 24 2010, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Will be a close game for me as I'm half English and half Irish, well I'd say more 29% Irish 31% English due to being born and bred here :p I'll be pleased whatever the result, but I'll be wanting an England win over anything.

We definitely need to step up after the Italy match, but in terms of our mentality going into this Ireland are a different kettle of fish, we'll put in a much better performance without a doubt, I'm feeling a bit confident we'll get the win here.[/b]

whats the other 50%?
[/b][/quote]

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
FacePalm.jpg

[/b][/quote]

Haha, I walked into this :(

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (!Dan @ Feb 24 2010, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 24 2010, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (bristol-iain @ Feb 24 2010, 09:47 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whats the other 50%?
[/b][/quote]

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
FacePalm.jpg

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]

It's not so much your comment (which is still awful) but more iain's attempt at correcting you

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Feb 24 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

From THE TIMES:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE
Let’s ask a few questions. When was the last time Wilkinson played five England matches with the same scrum half? More and more we talk of the importance of half-back pairings being settled and we see the France duo of Morgan Parra and François Trinh-Duc working so well together.

Yet we seem to expect Wilkinson to create miracles. When was the last time he played five matches with the same inside centre? The last time he played in a really settled side was in 2003. That is not a criticism of selectors or players, it is fact...

...A few stark stats. Trinh-Duc, the man of the match for France, was the player everyone wanted to talk about last weekend, so he seems a good starting point for comparison.

Both have made 11 tackles in their two matches: Wilkinson has missed none, his France counterpart four; Trinh-Duc has made three errors and Wilkinson none; Wilkinson has made 25 good kicks for territory, the Frenchman 20; Trinh-Duc has 14 caps and Wilkinson 75. He would probably have exceeded 100 but for injury.[/b]

Are we convinced?
[/b][/quote]
When was last time Wilko played 5games in a row :lol:

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Feb 24 2010, 10:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

From THE TIMES:

Let's ask a few questions. When was the last time Wilkinson played five England matches with the same scrum half? More and more we talk of the importance of half-back pairings being settled and we see the France duo of Morgan Parra and François Trinh-Duc working so well together.

Are we convinced?
[/b][/quote]

Difference that I see is that Wilko, a primarily defensive fly half would be higher in tackles. Trinh-Duc is from a long line of attacking French 10's stretching back to Lamaison (retro name drop y'all) who will trade the odd missed tackle for the defence splitting pass. Thats' why the French 10 gets dropped when he can't sort it going forward he suddenly looks a poor player as his defensive frailties are exposed.

EDIT: I know the line of 10's goes back farther than Lamaison but he's about as far as I'm willing to research at the moment. Thank you.

"Both have made 11 tackles in their two matches - Quelle surprise, backrow forwards and centres look to use the 10 channel

Wilkinson has missed none, his France counterpart four - 10s aren't expected to make as many tackles

Trinh-Duc has made three errors and Wilkinson none - Trinh-Duc's first instinct isn't to kick but instead pass the ball, when errors are likely to happen

Wilkinson has made 25 good kicks for territory the Frenchman 20 - Trinh-Duc's first instinct isn't to kick but instead pass the ball

Trinh-Duc has 14 caps and Wilkinson 75. He would probably have exceeded 100 but for injury. - Trinh-Duc is 23. Wilkinson is a lot older then 23.

Gabby Logan harping with bias should stick to soccer and gymnastics instead of being a spin doctor, she clearly is a biased fool and knows not what of which she speaks. That or Kenny smells blood in the water and really wants Wilkinson to play at Murrayfield...

How do they define good kicks for territory?
I mean, Wilko may have made 25 good kicks, but how many of those 25 could/should have been run up instead?

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Olyy @ Feb 24 2010, 10:44 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (!Dan @ Feb 24 2010, 10:36 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (King D'arcy @ Feb 24 2010, 10:15 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

whats the other 50%?
[/b][/quote]

AAAAAHHHHHHH!!!!!
FacePalm.jpg

[/b][/quote]

[/b][/quote]
Think that facepalm is at Ian saying what's the other 50% when actually it's only 40% missing :p

My girlfriends half irish half english, but will be supporting England (if i have anything to say about it anyway :p )
[/b][/quote]

Maths Fail on my part

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Feb 24 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>

From THE TIMES:

Let's ask a few questions. When was the last time Wilkinson played five England matches with the same scrum half? More and more we talk of the importance of half-back pairings being settled and we see the France duo of Morgan Parra and François Trinh-Duc working so well together.

Are we convinced?
[/b][/quote]

TD is supposed to be a very good defender and has a deadly pass. The thing is he has quite poor kicking from hand (he says himself that he has always been told to run or pass but not to kick since he was a kid) and he can't kick penalties. He has improved a lot of his first problem, and the second one is at the moment well covered by our kicking scrum halves like Parra or Dupuy.

As someone said before, he's only 23, so he'll get better in time

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (elgringoborracho @ Feb 24 2010, 10:55 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (ali12 @ Feb 24 2010, 11:32 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

From THE TIMES:

Are we convinced?
[/b][/quote]

TD is supposed to be a very good defender and has a deadly pass. The thing is he has quite poor kicking from hand (he says himself that he has always been told to run or pass but not to kick since he was a kid) and he can't kick penalties. He has improved a lot of his first problem, and the second one is at the moment well covered by our kicking scrum halves like Parra or Dupuy.

As someone said before, he's only 23, so he'll get better in time
[/b][/quote]
It seems to be in France that the scrum halve kick alot more than the 10's

Hey Dan I have a riddle for you. Trinh Duc has a Vietnamese grandfather. So he is:
A. 75% French, 25% Vietnamese?
B. 167% French, 5.9% Vietnamese?

;)

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 25 2010, 04:07 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Cueto has a poorly sick.

So that'll be Tait to the wing and Noon into the centre...[/b]
Which will be shite, but it's what Johnson will do.

Should put Ashton on the wing (or at least someone whose played wing for more than 5mins in the AIs, in the last two years). If he moves Tait out of the centre then he's a fool, we need to at least keep some sort of continuity through games. If the winger is out, replace the winger, don't reshuffle everything

Surely Ashton will come in. Moving Tait would be daft.

Either way I have a sneaking suspicion that Engerland will take this one. I recking the score will flatter them a bit at the end but I think they will take it by 8 -10 points.

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 25 2010, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
Surely Ashton will come in. Moving Tait would be daft.[/b]

Clearly you've not seen who the <strike>England management</strike> Rob Andrew prefers to select over the past 6 years...

<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Bullitt @ Feb 25 2010, 04:41 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}></div>
<div class='quotetop'>QUOTE (Logorrhea @ Feb 25 2010, 04:37 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Surely Ashton will come in. Moving Tait would be daft.[/b]

Clearly you've not seen who the <strike>England management</strike> Rob Andrew prefers to select over the past 6 years...
[/b][/quote]
Well put Bullitt,
Logically you pick the form winger who is scoring for fun (Ashton) and don't disrupt balance over putting in Noon (who is a 12 if anything) and reshuffling the backs.
And been honest Tait is a much better centre than winger and reason Johnson has this 'disruptive' problem of inexperienced players is in the AI's when he had chance to put Ashton etc in he wouldn't and instead of Foden at 15 he picks Monye :%#%#: So that is his own fault.

Could be a blessing in disguise for long-term England. If Ashton comes in.

A test also to determine whether Martin Johnson is up to the job once and for all. Because if Noon starts then I'm calling for Johnson's head. I would call for his balls too, but he seems like he has none with his selection policy.

Latest posts