England World Cup Squad Contenders - Japan 2019

BPM

First XV
TRF Legend
Country Flag
England
Club or Nation
Harlequins
With the season due to kick off in 6 weeks, I thought it might be worth compiling a list of who the contenders are and keep a track of it over the season.

I'm including anyone who Eddie has shown genuine interest in previously or I feel he's likely to this season. Feel free to chip in though ...

My 'key' is bold for likely, regular text for possible and italics for wildcards/bolters:

1. M. Vunipola / Marler / Genge* / Hepburn / Mullan / Obano* / Boyce

2. Hartley / George / Cowan-Dickie / Singleton / Taylor / Dunn

3. Cole / Sickler / Williams / P. Hill / Thomas / Schonert / Brookes

4. Itoje / Lawes / Isiekwe / Ewels / J. Hill

5. Launchbury / Kruis / Spencer / Attwood

6. Robshaw / Shields / Wilson / Armand / J. Willis / Ross / Rhodes

7. T. Curry / Graham / B. Curry / Earl

8. B. Vunipola / Hughes / S. Simmonds / Clifford / Mercer / Morgan

9. B. Youngs / Care / Robson / Spencer / Vellacott

10. Ford / Cipriani / Smith

11. Daly / Solomona / Yarde / Cokanasiga / Lewington

12. Farrell / Lozowski / Francis / Devoto

13. Slade / Joseph* / Te'o / Tuilagi

14. Watson* / May / Nowell / Earle / Rokoduguni / Ashton

15. Brown / Woodward

*currently injured

I may have forgotten some, but I'd wager that the World Cup squad will come from that group, injuries permitting.

What's clear is that we haven't got too many obvious choices in the back row, centre or at fullback so I think these are the areas where the 'wildcards and bolters' could have the biggest say.

For example, I wonder whether moves to new clubs and new coaching input could reignite the careers of players like Brookes or Ashton? Similarly, with no disrespect to London Irish, I'd imagine Saracens and Bath will provide more of a platform for Lewington and Cokanasiga to put themselves more firmly on the radar.

There's also the guys returning from injury. Tuilagi is the obvious one there but Attwood and Devoto could make a case if they play well this season IMO.

Thoughts welcome ...

Last edited:
Underhill will almost certainly be on the plane if fit. And I wouldn't wager too much against Haskell making it either.

Ah damn - I knew I missed someone obvious! Not sure about Haskell though ...

Underhill's a weird one,
With the emergence of curry and shields, and EJs throbber over Robshaw, he could easily miss out.
That said: we're so injury prone in the backrow he could easily be a starter at any point as well.

Perhaps but that would be ironic considering he's probably the most injury prone of all!

Marchant as a bolter maybe?

I'm a big fan of Marchant, but I think this World Cup is a year too soon unless we're ravaged by injuries at 13. Barring injury, he has the potential to be our first choice 13 post World Cup.

I'd really like to see Underhill and Curry in the same back row.

I realised there's a decent few I missed ... does anyone know why I can't edit my posts anymore?

I realised there's a decent few I missed ... does anyone know why I can't edit my posts anymore?
Try now,

When the forum software updated some of the permissions got messed up and we have to manually edit them as they appear

Done. I'd forgotten Armand (so has Eddie haha), Earle and Rokoduguni

Well we've signed Johnny Williams the young 12 from London Irish who was a big England hope. He's still only 21/22 and Dean has a very good reputation for rejuvenating / getting players back on track.

Englands struggling for a 12...so a really good season could see him come in to contention??

You missed Zach Mercer off your list...surely he's going to be in the battle for a 8 / back row spot??

Well we've signed Johnny Williams the young 12 from London Irish who was a big England hope. He's still only 21/22 and Dean has a very good reputation for rejuvenating / getting players back on track.

Englands struggling for a 12...so a really good season could see him come in to contention??

You missed Zach Mercer off your list...surely he's going to be in the battle for a 8 / back row spot??

Added Mercer to the list but I think Williams is too much of a wildcard for the World Cup squad. There's nothing to suggest he's even on Eddie's radar and even if he has a great season, Eddie appears to love Piers Francis.

Added Mercer to the list but I think Williams is too much of a wildcard for the World Cup squad. There's nothing to suggest he's even on Eddie's radar and even if he has a great season, Eddie appears to love Piers Francis.
Of course, your really startling omission was Mallinder. What were you thinking?

Haha - of course. I'm not sure whether to add him or not?

Latest posts