• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Training Squad

Is there the likelihood of any real bolters apart from Uni rig?
Ruaridh keeps making the cut - he'll probably end up as injury reserve, but he may just make it; and obviously brings something to training that Eddie really likes.
Equally, one of Ludlam / Dombrandt is likely to go, and surely both would be considered a bolter

Last edited:
I'm a little surprised by Heinz and Ludlam sticking around, but I'm happy enough to see how they go.

Francis, eh? Didn't realize 'Fly half that sometimes plays IC' was a position where we needed backup. :p

Actually, thinking about it, our 12s are both flyhalves, and we have 5 13s (Daly, Slade, Marchant, Tuilagi, JJ). Guess that's Manu at 12, then.

I like the way that pack looks; got options for experience or dynamism in the props, as well as scrummaging or loose play. No surprises in the locks. Love that backrow, though: Wilson, Curry, Underhill, Billy is delightful. And Ludlam is a 7, right? How have England of all teams ended up with a surplus of 7s?

The backs are the backs. Daly FB, May wing, guess the other wing is up for grabs. Would like to see Big Joe get some more time. I also really want to see how Ford-Faz-Tuilagi goes, but we'll probably end up with Faz-Manu-Slade/JJ

I'm a little surprised by Heinz and Ludlam sticking around, but I'm happy enough to see how they go.

Francis, eh? Didn't realize 'Fly half that sometimes plays IC' was a position where we needed backup. :p

Actually, thinking about it, our 12s are both flyhalves, and we have 5 13s (Daly, Slade, Marchant, Tuilagi, JJ). Guess that's Manu at 12, then.

I like the way that pack looks; got options for experience or dynamism in the props, as well as scrummaging or loose play. No surprises in the locks. Love that backrow, though: Wilson, Curry, Underhill, Billy is delightful. And Ludlam is a 7, right? How have England of all teams ended up with a surplus of 7s?

The backs are the backs. Daly FB, May wing, guess the other wing is up for grabs. Would like to see Big Joe get some more time. I also really want to see how Ford-Faz-Tuilagi goes, but we'll probably end up with Faz-Manu-Slade/JJ

Francis is a 12 who can cover FH and not the other way round. As a saints fan I'm not sure I'd have him going to the WC though.

I'd rather Te'o over Francis and that's saying something. There's a handful of 12s I'd take over both though.

I'd rather Te'o over Francis and that's saying something. There's a handful of 12s I'd take over both though.
Not much in it between the two of them personally.
To name that handful, I'd take...
Tuilagi, Slade and Farrel as 12s ahead of Te'o or Francis; also Devoto, Atkinson, Twelvetrees, Williams and possibly Redpath.

You could say that I don't really rate either Te'o or Francis very highly...

I'd take Francis purely on the fact that Te'o has barely played and hasn't shown any form. At least Francis has scored tries this season and shown some kind of form.

I'd take Francis purely on the fact that Te'o has barely played and hasn't shown any form. At least Francis has scored tries this season and shown some kind of form.
I'd go for Te'o because he's previously shown good form at international level (as much hate as he gets, he was undeniably excellent on the Lions tour) whereas Francis has never looked anything more than average, even at Prem level.

I'd go for Te'o because he's previously shown good form at international level (as much hate as he gets, he was undeniably excellent on the Lions tour) whereas Francis has never looked anything more than average, even at Prem level.

See I've never agreed with the whole 'class is permanent but form is temporary' thing. I know you're not saying he's class etc..., but it's a similar idea. Yes players can perform against form, but I'd rather have an average form player who will be consistent over a more skilled, but out of form player who might perform.

I'm not a Teo fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd probably take him over Francis because we've already got a bunch of play making centres whereas Manu is our only back who can truck it up successfully.
EJ is notoriously stubborn with his gameplans, so with Manu as first choice 12 he will base everything in the backs around having a crash ball 12 - if Manu gets injured (or when he's rested during the RWC) then putting Teo in to run up blind channels will be more successful than Francis.

That said Devoto would be preferable over both - better playmaker than Francis and probably a more threatening carrier than Teo these days.

Dropping spencer and dombrandt who both have played on a big stage and proved they can handle pressure. Spencer needs games under his belt and is well ahead of Heinz. I know if we are going to take heinz he needs to be tested but seriously.

With regards to inside centre, Faz and slade can cover 12 as well as manu, so Francais prob wont make the 31 anyway.

Its Ludlam over Dombrandt i dont get, ludlam must have really impressed in training to get ahead.

I'm not a Teo fan by any stretch of the imagination, but I'd probably take him over Francis because we've already got a bunch of play making centres whereas Manu is our only back who can truck it up successfully.
EJ is notoriously stubborn with his gameplans, so with Manu as first choice 12 he will base everything in the backs around having a crash ball 12 - if Manu gets injured (or when he's rested during the RWC) then putting Teo in to run up blind channels will be more successful than Francis.

That said Devoto would be preferable over both - better playmaker than Francis and probably a more threatening carrier than Teo these days.

If Plan A is crash ball 12 then it would be beyond daft to hang that wholly on Manu. So, could mean that:

Teo's on the plane regardless

Teo's out of contention and we're reverting to Ford - Faz. Given our strength at 13, there would be a logic in that and would explain why Francis si still in the mix.

A thousand other permutations

Agree on Devoto, disappointed that he's not been in the equation.

Dropping spencer and dombrandt who both have played on a big stage and proved they can handle pressure. Spencer needs games under his belt and is well ahead of Heinz. I know if we are going to take heinz he needs to be tested but seriously.

With regards to inside centre, Faz and slade can cover 12 as well as manu, so Francais prob wont make the 31 anyway.

Its Ludlam over Dombrandt i dont get, ludlam must have really impressed in training to get ahead.

Agree with all points. Hopefully Eddie is just planning on giving a load of players some caps and to have a look at them in test conditions on Sunday - nothing more than that.

Spencer should 100% be in the final squad over Heinz, all day long.
Brown should be in too - by far our most reliable set of hands on the high ball and a good side-stepper. Admittedly doesn't have the pace that Watson offers you but will need his experience in Japan imo.
As a Saint, Dombrandt I'd like to see make the cut over Ludlam. Had an incredible season.
Francis I'd be incredibly surprised if he makes it.

For me it's never Ludlam vs uni rig. Lewis is an out and out 7, never really played anything else. Uni rig is a 6/8, so I can't see how Jones would ever see them in the same bracket unless, curry is carrying a knock, in which case Ludlam is the 2nd choice 7 in the squad and Underhill starts at 7....who knows but you can't compare the players.

For me it's never Ludlam vs uni rig. Lewis is an out and out 7, never really played anything else. Uni rig is a 6/8, so I can't see how Jones would ever see them in the same bracket unless, curry is carrying a knock, in which case Ludlam is the 2nd choice 7 in the squad and Underhill starts at 7....who knows but you can't compare the players.
No you can't but if there's one remaining back row shirt then they've seemingly been in a head to head for it. Shields is the complication in all this.

I hope Jones has a more clear idea of what's going on than your average TRF poster. I'm decidedly average and I haven't got a bloody clue.

If Tom is carrying a knock you surely bring in Ben? Literally couldn't ask for a more like for like replacement (and arguably finished the season in better form than Tom).

No you can't but if there's one remaining back row shirt then they've seemingly been in a head to head for it. Shields is the complication in all this.

I hope Jones has a more clear idea of what's going on than your average TRF poster. I'm decidedly average and I haven't got a bloody clue.

Time will tell. Every time he picks a squad there's something to scratch your head over and TBH, he'll only be proved right if we either win or come very close to doing so. Another poor showing and there will be a lot of questions to answer.

Time will tell. Every time he picks a squad there's something to scratch your head over and TBH, he'll only be proved right if we either win or come very close to doing so. Another poor showing and there will be a lot of questions to answer.
......or severance payments to make. Honestly his contract extension was knee jerk that could prove costly. On the pitch he always said to judge him on the RWC......and we'll hold him to that.

Item on the radio earlier suggesting that Nowell is now a real doubt. BBC also now saying that Eng can't put a timeframe on his return. Doesn't sound good, but anyone on the plane must be properly fit.

If Tom is carrying a knock you surely bring in Ben? Literally couldn't ask for a more like for like replacement (and arguably finished the season in better form than Tom).

I'd have Ben in anyway if I was coach but what do I know.

Latest posts