• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

England World Cup Training Squad

Ther'es a few place-holders and bolters in there.
People like VRR, Ludlam and McConnochie have got to be there to hold tackle bags; and see if they impress beyond expectation.
If Eddie likes what he sees, I can see them making the first cut; and you never know - if one of them really shines, he may even make it to Japan.

These guys who've never trained under Eddie before, you just don't know. For MCConnchie specifically, remember he has an olympic medal to his name; so he may well bring something to the mental side that Eddie likes.

Not quite sure what it says when so many of our first choice backs weren't playing in the GP knock out games.
Erm, none of this squad (forwards or backs) were playing GP knock-out games - by definition. They're not available for selection until the next squad.

Erm, none of this squad (forwards or backs) were playing GP knock-out games - by definition. They're not available for selection until the next squad.

Guess it depends on what you consider 1st choice these days?

9. Youngs
10. Farrell (Finals)
11. May
12. Tuilagi
13. Slade (Finals)
14. Nowell (Finals)
15. Daly

3 of 7 ain't bad. JJ and Watson are obviously in the mix, but they haven't been fit.

I think the point was more that you could make a very good back line from the players that didn't play:

9. Youngs
10. Ford
11. May
12. Tuilagi
13. JJ
14 Watson/Big Joe
15. Daly

If Eddie named them as the starting backs I wouldn't have any cause for complaint. And hell, in Robson, Smith, Te'o, Brown you can almost say you've got the subs covered too (Using Daly as on-field wing and 13 cover). I say almost because, well, it's Te'o.

I think the only properly irreplaceable one is Faz; JJ and Tuilagi can sub for Slade at 13, and there's plenty of wings.

Lovely to see Lewis Ludlam get some recognition after the breakthrough season he's had. I hope he can give a good account of himself over the coming weeks but I'd be incredibly surprised if he makes the final cut.

I like Ludlam, but Mercer and Ben Curry were definitely more deserving of that spot.

I like Ludlam, but Mercer and Ben Curry were definitely more deserving of that spot.
Yes totally agree, great to see ludlam get some recognition but right now i want to see players that might stand a chance at being a world cup back up player or just lad whos just had a decent breakthrough season, dombrandt is abit diff as he has really stepped up above and beyond and performed on a big stage same as smith.

Agreed. I was surprised he was picked over both of them. I particularly like Mercer, think he's got great potential.

Yes totally agree, great to see ludlam get some recognition but right now i want to see players that might stand a chance at being a world cup back up player or just lad whos just had a decent breakthrough season, dombrandt is abit diff as he has really stepped up above and beyond and performed on a big stage same as smith.

Yup. In agreement.

Ludlam wasn't in the squad for the Barbarians game but the pictures posted on the England rugby Instagram feed show that he trained with them.

If it was the plan to involve him in this squad, surely it would have made sense to give him some game time against the Barbarians?

Ludlam wasn't in the squad for the Barbarians game but the pictures posted on the England rugby Instagram feed show that he trained with them.

If it was the plan to involve him in this squad, surely it would have made sense to give him some game time against the Barbarians?
But then am I right in saying he wouldn't be able to because players need a certain (5 weeks I think) time off?

He was unlikely to be in the final squad tbf, so it makes sense to spend the time at home rather than hold tackle bags (his wife is pregnant).

Saw an interview with Sam Hidalgo-Clyne where he turned down a spot in the Scotland training squad as he knew he wouldn't be in the first choice 23 so he was better served having the summer off and going on a short term deal with Racing instead

Hoping to see Cips come in, he is clearly the inform 10, if he doesn't go, I don't believe EJ ever had any intention of selecting him, could he have had a better season he's been pretty solid defensively, which was the only real on the field criticism I heard of him in the past.

And his kicking is not great. A player that can change a game and bring some magic deffinatly but is not the player id choose as a first choice.

And his kicking is not great. A player that can change a game and bring some magic deffinatly but is not the player id choose as a first choice.

I wouldn't say his kicking stats were bad and if Farrell is playing 12 I'd expect him to take the kicks over Cips, if you needed a quick try out of nothing in the knock out stages, I know who I would want to be bringing on at 10, my point really was simply if EJ doesn't take him he shouldn't have pretended the door was open when it clearly wasn't.

Update with the Gloucester and Saints players:

"Danny Cipriani (Gloucester Rugby), Piers Francis (Northampton Saints), Willi Heinz (Gloucester Rugby), Courtney Lawes (Northampton Saints) and Ollie Thorley (Gloucester Rugby) have been added to the squad while Kyle Sinckler (Harlequins) and Marcus Smith (Harlequins) will return to their clubs next week."

It was also mentioned that Jack Nowell has joined the camp for rehabilitation, same as Mako and Kruis. Official squad to be named on the 4th July

Hooray, Cips is still clinging on! Not sure what to make of Sinkler being sent back; have Quins got something on I'm not aware of?

Why would they release sinks? I dont get that.only think i can think is its rest until 4th July when the final squad is announced. He is No1 going regardless so he doesnt have alot to prove and more rest may bennefit him.

Heinz francais and thorley are also abit odd but mainly heinz as he has never been anywhere near england and given his age if you are bringing someone in just to hold bags and be on the second team then use Alex Mitchell...

Francais is ok as a back up back up 12.

Thorley is behind to many but has some promise post world cup if he works at his game. Nowell comes fit and pushes him out.

Lawes....obv

Cips...is good too although for me still 3rd choice but thats just personal opinion. Smith will get a look in soon post world cup im sure. But no rush.

Last edited:
The wording of the reason for Sinks and Smith going back to Quins gives me some concern - 'as we feel it is in their best interests...we will consider their participation further..down the track'. Maybe nothing but it seems odd our no 1 tight head is out of the squad. Am worried he is not fit or has blown up.

Latest posts