• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EOYT: Wales v Samoa, 16/11/2012

Not you Dull, elsewhere on the internet. You must have seen on other forums how protected Priestland is. Arwel Priestland must be dropped, but Hook to outside would kill the Welsh rugby forums and Rob Howley.
I don't think it matters who plays where, it will be the same dross rugby.

Ah ok. Honestly, I'm not fussed about the backline, it'll make zero difference if the forwards don't front up! Well almost anyway, I'll make an exception for Priestland and insist he is thrown to the lions!

Think one reason the wings aren't getting the ball right and making an impact is that to me it seems last night the Welsh backline had no depth.

Ah ok. Honestly, I'm not fussed about the backline, it'll make zero difference if the forwards don't front up! Well almost anyway, I'll make an exception for Priestland and insist he is thrown to the lions!

I don't think Gatland would pick him ;)
He just kicks and kicks. It is worse than Wellies and his fridge.

I must laugh at everybody on the WRU page saying "OMG Gav4Wayulz".

So with Biggar probably out of the remaining two games, and Hook not available against Aus, Priestland is guaranteed to start at least one game. Stephen Jones might have to come back into contention, or dare I say it Gav. I'm not keen on either, but none of the other 10's at the regions are anywhere close to ready and Gats won't pick Nicky Robinson. Matthew Morgan is the only other option, but he's far, far from ready.

We are also screwed at hooker, Myhill will likely be on the bench against NZ at least, great potential, but ready for international rugby, hell no! We're running out of second rows, and very few of our back-row options are playing well. Aaron Jarvis went well against Arg, but was mullered against Samoa and we've only got the dreadful Scott Andrews and the untested Samson available. And here I was thinking our strength in depth was at an all time high!

Edit. Anyone else have a dreadful feeling in their stomachs that this could be another false dawn? Or is this just a rocky patch that we will come out of stronger on the other side. Please say it'll be all-right!!

Last edited:
Shame Scott Baldwin is injured. I thought I read in the Argus that the WRU inquired into the fitness of Sam Parry a few weeks back. We might as well play Roberts at standoff, not going to harm our attack is it?
Rhys 'the great redeemer' Patchell is fit... Nipper is done, too old, get the youth in.

Will Prem player be available for Aus? Shingler perhaps??

Will Prem player be available for Aus? Shingler perhaps??

No chance unless the WRU pay them a fortune, which isn't going to happen!

Edit. Bugger that rules out Gav, Steve Jones and Robinson for the Aus game anyway, unless Lyn Jones and LW say screw you to the PRL (could happen).

Last edited:
No chance unless the WRU pay them a fortune, which isn't going to happen!

Edit. Bugger that rules out Gav, Steve Jones and Robinson for the Aus game anyway, unless Lyn Jones and LW say screw you to the PRL (could happen).

Can't happen unfortunately!
Sale did that to release Peel for the Wales vs BaaBaas game and the PRL blocked it.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Can't happen unfortunately!
Sale did that to release Peel for the Wales vs BaaBaas game and the PRL blocked it.

Sent from my HTC Incredible S using Tapatalk 2

Probably a good thing for the moment, at least for Gav. Still a better option than Sweeney, Tovey, Patchell, Morgan, Aled Tomas, Steffan Jones or Robling.

If I had to chose anyone out of those names, I'd go for Tovey. More experience than the rest bar Sweeney, but Sweeney is simply past it.

What i ment with cuthbert was that he'd run to tackle someone then pause or run back then run back in, seemed like he was just waiting for Leigh to tackle him!

all these names mentioned but Priestlands gonna figure against Austriala sadly unless Gats calls someone up for biggar who iwas very gutted for

Tovey has been dire, experience means nothing there.

Tovey has experienced injuries and is trying to fit into a new (and rubbish) team. He was put out to pasture by the Dragons in his final 6 months there because the Dragons realised that they needed to bring someone else through to replace him. Sweeney has been equally poor in a poor Blues side, but doesn't have any of Tovey's good features, other than being defensively better. Patchell has been better than either this season when he's played, but rushing him would be pointless.

Honestly, I just think that Tovey is the best option from a bad/inexperienced bunch. Either that or Gatland goes all out and risks it with Matthew Morgan.

Last edited:
I tell you what, for what we are probably saving, we don't miss Tovey. Prydie is a much more composed kicker, and Robling/Jones are still young and have time to improve.

I noticed alot of panic, instead of going forward just throwing it oit wide to an isolated winger, this happened alot, players were on their own far to much and Samoa were quicker to the breakdown

I had to laugh at some of the names being banded about ... Baldwin, Parry etc. Simply these guys are NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

It also amuses me that some people thought pretty highly of Jarvis but yet have turned to be quite negative of him after yesterdays game.

Henson would be a good shout, regardless of what some here say. Guy has played well for London Welsh but as Lyn Jones said he needs time with him and London Welsh for at least a season. I agree with Lyn, leave him alone and see if he can maintain his form. Rhys Patchell is raw, he has shown some glimpses of class but needs more time to develop. Jason Tovey despite his 'seemingly' faults, he could do a job for Wales but then he needs to have some regular game time to prove he can string games together before injury. Love to see Nicky Robinson back he can be inconsistent but has played well for Gloucester and now Wasps. Its almost laughable that Aled Thomas and Lewis Robling have been mentioned. Neither are good enough sorry.

It's bloody fickle, it's a constant issue with some who seem to change their opinion every 5 seconds. People called for these changes, they were made sadly they didn't hold up. Sorry but really it needs to be said.

Yes Wales have been dire, actually a shower of dire but really some sense needs to be shown here. Wales simply need to go back to basic rugby and not try and over complicate things. The gameplan needs to be refined and slight changes made. Wales need to simply need to remember they got to hit rucks hard, kick well and maintain the set pieces.

Oh and before some tell's me ...

Both Argentina and Samoa deserved their victories over Wales! Well played both teams.

Last edited:
I had to laugh at some of the names being banded about ... Baldwin, Parry etc. Simply these guys are NOT GOOD ENOUGH.

It also amuses me that some people thought pretty highly of Jarvis but yet have turned to be quite negative of him after yesterdays game.

Henson would be a good shout, regardless of what some here say. Guy has played well for London Welsh but as Lyn Jones said he needs time with him and London Welsh for at least a season. Rhys Patchell is raw, he has shown some glimpses of class but needs more time to develop. Jason Tovey despite his 'seemingly' faults, he could do a job for Wales but then he needs to have some regular game time to prove he can string games together before injury. Love to see Nicky Robinson back he can be inconsistent but has played well for Gloucester and now Wasps. Its almost laughable that Aled Thomas and Lewis Robling have been mentioned. Neither are good enough sorry.

It's bloody fickle, it's a constant issue with some who seem to change their opinion every 5 seconds. People called for these changes, they were made sadly they didn't hold up. Sorry but really it needs to be said.

Yes Wales have been dire, actually a shower of dire but really some sense needs to be shown here. Wales simply need to go back to basic rugby and not try and over complicate things. The gameplan needs to be refined and slight changes made. Wales need to simply need to remember they got to hit rucks hard, kick well and maintain the set pieces.

Aye, it was more because of injuries. Rees and Hibbard could both be out. With regards to outside halves, it was more of a pisstake, again because of injuries.
Henson is apparently not going to be considered until he has had a full season. Jarvis had a good 60 minutes, just fell apart later.

It's not all bad, Arsenal beat the Spurs 5-2 and Rangers won 6-2 earlier.

Henson would be a good shout, regardless of what some here say. Guy has played well for London Welsh but as Lyn Jones said he needs time with him and London Welsh for at least a season. I agree with Lyn, leave him alone and see if he can maintain his form. Rhys Patchell is raw, he has shown some glimpses of class but needs more time to develop. Jason Tovey despite his 'seemingly' faults, he could do a job for Wales but then he needs to have some regular game time to prove he can string games together before injury. Love to see Nicky Robinson back he can be inconsistent but has played well for Gloucester and now Wasps. Its almost laughable that Aled Thomas and Lewis Robling have been mentioned. Neither are good enough sorry.

Oh and before some tell's me ...

Both Argentina and Samoa deserved their victories over Wales! Well played both teams.

These names are being banded about because there aren't any other options. Kirby Myhill has been called up to the Welsh squad, so if Rees and Hibbard aren't available against NZ and Austrailia, Myhill will be on the bench, and that is looking quite likely atm. Is that really any more ridiculous than Baldwin and Parry?

In regards to fly half, again who else is there for the Aus game in particular? At the moment, only Priestland will be available, so someone has to come into the squad to cover 10 from the bench. Hook, Henson, Stephen Jones, Nicky Robinson and Steven Shingler are all unavailable because the fixture falls outside the international window, so that leaves someone at the regions. The options are: Aled Thomas at the Scarlets, Matthew Morgan or Sam Davies at the Ospreys, Sweeney, Patchell or Tovey at the Blues, and finally Robling and Steffan Jones at the Dragons. One of them has to come in, so mentioning them isn't laughable at all. Tovey would be my choice, but he desperately needs a run of games for the Blues. Sweeney adds nothing. We're in a mess!

Nothing fickle about it either. We're not calling for change for the sake of it, we're looking ahead to who will be unavailable/injured for the NZ and in particular the Australian game.

There's no denying that Aaron Jarvis struggled massively yesterday. He did well against Argentina, but was absolutely blown away in almost every aspect of the game against Samoa. Having a weak scrummaging hooker next to him in Ken Owens probably didn't hep in the scrums, but there's no excuses for missing tackles. Samoa do have some monster scrummaging props though, so we'll see how he goes against NZ, he's still probably our first choice for the moment.

Last edited:
Cuthbert is very poor at tackling for his relative size! Look at how BOD showed him up a few weeks ago and now he seems to back off a bit.

In attack it's difficult to blame Cuthbert or North. Is there any winger in the world that could play with such crap ball and no opportunities?

Latest posts