• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

EOYT: Wales v Samoa, 16/11/2012

Biggara been tweeting most of the day and has said his heads ok hasnt said anything about being out of the games or anything!

So Wales Injury Update and Call Ups

Wales centre Jonathan Davies is expected to take a full part in training this week as the squad prepares for the Dove Men Series clash with New Zealand at the Millennium Stadium on Saturday.

Davies (Scarlets) has been carrying a groin problem since being named in the 35-man training squad for the series, but is now expected to be available for selection against the All Blacks if required.

Fellow Scarlet Matthew Rees is also expected to come through training this week after resting, due to a calf problem, last weekend.

Ospreys hooker Richard Hibbard, who left the field against Samoa last Friday night with a shoulder injury is unlikely to take any further part in the series.

Hibbard sustained an injury to the AC joint of his shoulder following a collision early in the game and a final prognosis will be made available following his acute management and further medical discussion.

Ospreys fly-half Dan Biggar suffered a similar injury and was also replaced during the game on Friday, but his problem is considered to be less severe and it is hoped that intense treatment and management may allow him to contribute to the remainder of the series.

Finally, Ospreys lock Ian Evans took a knock to his knee, also during the clash with the South Sea Islanders, and his injury will be managed during the early part of the training week in order to give him every possible chance of being available this Saturday.

Blues lock Lou Reed and Scarlets hooker Kirby Myhill have been brought in to add to numbers in training â€" they join fellow Scarlet Samson Lee and Ospreys lock Lloyd Peers who have already been asked to train with the Wales squad.

No new players have yet been fully called up to the squad.

Some good news there. Great to see Jon Davies back, I wonder if he'll come straight into the starting line-up, or will they have him on the bench. Beck did little wrong in the last game, but there are still question marks over his defence (a little passive for my liking), and he got himself isolated a couple of times v Samoa trying to go on the outside when it wasn't really on, just before Samoa's second try comes to mind.

I'm praying that Biggar is fit to start, or be on the bench behind Hook at the very least. I don't want Priestland anywhere near the 23.

Hopefully one of Matthew Rees or Hibbard is ready to take part. Kirby Myhill really lacks regional experience to be on the bench against the best team in the world.

Having Ian Evans fit would be nice. He hadn't played well against Argentina or Samoa though. Especially disappointing against Samoa was the fact the at the Wales lineout struggled with him there, an area he usually commands. The lineout improved when Cherteris came on.

Dull ... Myhill has only been called up as a training member, same goes for Samson Lee, Lloyd Peers and Lou Reed. So he is unlikely to play. You said earlier that you would like him to called up and they have done so. He's unlikely to feature but it's good he's there to gain the international experience and train with Wales.

Dull ... Myhill has only been called up as a training member, same goes for Samson Lee, Lloyd Peers and Lou Reed. So he is unlikely to play. You said earlier that you would like him to called up and they have done so. He's unlikely to feature but it's good he's there to gain the international experience and train with Wales.

Certainly, glad he's there to gain experience.

I thought Samson Lee had been properly added to the squad to cover Adam Jones' injury though?

I thought this as Samson went to Poland

Same but Wales have done this in the past when Kristian Phillips was called up in 2010.

I am slightly disappointed he isn't seen as a 'proper' squad member but it's all apart of his learning curve I suppose.

just watched roger lewis on bbc wales.
hmmmmm.....
"white smoke will be appearing above the millenium stadium"
really?

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b01nvln5/The_Wales_Report_18_11_2012/

Finally watched this. What do other people think the changes made will be? It sounded as though Roger Lewis was alluding to the WRU taking more control of the regions, especially in the way they are structured and managed financially. He talked about having the correct people in charge, so are we going to see regional coaches chosen and possibly employed by the WRU directly? If so hopefully experienced coaches with proven records will be brought in.

He also mentioned having the correct players playing at the correct regions. This sounds like central contracts might be brought in with the possibility of the WRU having a say where certain players play their trade if one region has too many hookers for example (Scarlets) and another not having enough (Blues). Not sure things will be as heavy handed as this, but something along these lines need to be seriously considered. It's slightly silly that the Scarlets have Rees, Owens, Myhill and Phillips, whilst the only potentially decent hooker at the Blues is Rhys Williams.

Finally watched this. What do other people think the changes made will be? It sounded as though Roger Lewis was alluding to the WRU taking more control of the regions, especially in the way they are structured and managed financially. He talked about having the correct people in charge, so are we going to see regional coaches chosen and possibly employed by the WRU directly? If so hopefully experienced coaches with proven records will be brought in.

He also mentioned having the correct players playing at the correct regions. This sounds like central contracts might be brought in with the possibility of the WRU having a say where certain players play their trade if one region has too many hookers for example (Scarlets) and another not having enough (Blues). Not sure things will be as heavy handed as this, but something along these lines need to be seriously considered. It's slightly silly that the Scarlets have Rees, Owens, Myhill and Phillips, whilst the only potentially decent hooker at the Blues is Rhys Williams.

By the sound of it and what the grapevine says that a Regional Central Contracts deal could well be in place before Christmas. My concern is stems from Roger Lewis, this guy is cutting underhand deals, you only have to look at tickets going on sale with Tesco instead of with rugby clubs because the only way in the past to get tickets was to become a member of a rugby club and get them through the club, thus cutting revenue for clubs. All Roger does is big himself up saying he has closed the deficit of money the WRU owe. When questioned at the WRU AGM, Roger was quick to deflect criticism and reverted back to what he has done for the WRU.

Central Contracts done in a correct mannor should help solve certain problems at the regions. My concern is what deal the WRU will cut the regions regarding the contracts.

I'd be for the WRU contracting all players (or at least the top players) and decide where they go.. The Scarlets is a example, move Phillips or Owens to the Blues or whatever. Spread the depth around a bit, such as one of the Scarlets 6's to the blues say for a actual openside etc.

Edit - of which sounds like is what's planned.. when he said "we need to be more joined up.. we need to work far more with our players, such as which players play for which regions and when".

Could also be good if the WRU have a say on who should be blooded in at regional level such as teams shouldn't play 3 6s for the backrow they should develop actual 7's and 8's from their younger players.

Last edited:
For me if the WRU were to move, then the clubs who produce these players would have to be rewarded with cash for losing a player they are produced, thus encouraging regions to still produce talent, even if they are going to end up playing elsewhere in Wales.

By the sound of it and what the grapevine says that a Regional Central Contracts deal could well be in place before Christmas. My concern is stems from Roger Lewis, this guy is cutting underhand deals, you only have to look at tickets going on sale with Tesco instead of with rugby clubs because the only way in the past to get tickets was to become a member of a rugby club and get them through the club, thus cutting revenue for clubs. All Roger does is big himself up saying he has closed the deficit of money the WRU owe. When questioned at the WRU AGM, Roger was quick to deflect criticism and reverted back to what he has done for the WRU.

Central Contracts done in a correct mannor should help solve certain problems at the regions. My concern is what deal the WRU will cut the regions regarding the contracts.

Aye, the WRU have been going about things in a similar way to this current coalition government, everything is about cutting the deficit! There's no point in the WRU reducing their debt if the rest of Welsh rugby falls by the wayside, because it'll just catch up to them when the fans stop turning out to watch the national team. A balance needs to be met, and that involved more money going to the regions and to grass-roots rugby.

I would really like to see the WRU take control of the coaching side (as long as they don't sack them every other day!). The regions have shown to be completely incompetent when it comes to hiring coaches, giving ex-players jobs with zero experience. There are plenty of divisions below the regions for coaches to earn their stripes, regional rugby is not the place for Easterby, Mark Jones, Xavier Rush etc. to learn their trade!

Hopefully we see a well thought out central contracting system put in place that covers the top players and head coaches at least, couples with plenty of funding to bring good quality foreigners in where required and to bring through the next generation of players.

For me if the WRU were to move, then the clubs who produce these players would have to be rewarded with cash for losing a player they are produced, thus encouraging regions to still produce talent, even if they are going to end up playing elsewhere in Wales.

Yeah something would have to be sorted out there. I also feel that the original region should be allowed to ask for the player back if required. It's a difficult system to get right though, because if said player integrates well into his new region he may not want to move away again. Something needs to be put in place to allow some sort of movement of players, but both the regions and clubs need to be happy with it. The Irish system has shown that temporarily moving a player to Connacht to gain gametime can do wonders for said players development as well. It would be a travesty if in two years time Myhill is still not getting much gametime at the Scarlets because Rees and Owens are still ahead of him.

Last edited:

Of course that would have to happen, even if it was a lump sum each season split in regards to who lost the most players last season due to re-allocating players.

Ye it should in theory happen ... but with Roger anything is on the cards.

Hey Guys
Been a while since I posted here. I just uploaded a post game reaction video on Youtube the day after the game. If anyone wants to check it out. Thanks guys and great win for Samoa. Hopefully more of the same vs France. Lets Go ! :cool:

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts