EOYT: Wales v Samoa, 16/11/2012

aucklander

Academy Player
Country Flag
Samoa
Club or Nation
Samoa
Prediction Samoa vs Wales

Millennium Stadium, Cardiff (16-11-2012, 19:30 GMT)

Wales.png
Versus%20Rugby%20Championship.png
Samoa.png

Referee: Romain Poite (France)
Assistant referees: Nigel Owens (Wales), Mathieu Raynal (France)
Television match official: Jim Yuille (Scotland)

Samoa to have the upper hand on Wales this Friday. My prediction 24-16

If Paul Williams, Tuilagi, Fa'asavalu, Ti'i Paulo, Tekori start than i were in for a chance. Wales will be hurting from the pumas game, however with the form they're in, Samoa will look at this for the taking.

I have Samoa by 1 on the Bru. They looked so clinical against Canada and finally have goal kicking sorted out. I could see this going either way but I really see a scalp coming for Samoa this tour.

I'll wait to see what team Howley selects. If there aren't changes I'd say Samoa will win, but if form players are brought in I'll back Wales. Not looking forward to it as I feel another loss could be on the cards.

I am also backing Samoa. 18-15.

That Samoa was calm, clinical beast that had a clear focus in the game. In past, islanders have been known for a lack of discipline however this current squad has a swagger without the discipline problems.
Islanders nations used to focus physicality as if they had to prove something, this squad looked as if they were toying with Canada (who aren't exactly a soft team.) Samoa seems to have put real focus on tight forward play, ruck support, scrums and goal kicking. All of these things used to be deficiencies.
Regardless this will be an interesting match. One team clearly set their sights on this game before the series even happened. The other searching for a bit of redemption after going from what many said was a top 4 team (tv hosts not fans) to losing to no8.

That and Wales loss would make me feel better about Canada getting thrashed.
Wales is not exactly soft either and put their bodies to Argentina. But in the end I felt Wales started to back down from the physical challenge of Argentina.

Samoa also looked to have a very decent goal kicker in James So'oialo who got nearly all the kicks against Canada, including some from the touchline, that could be a big factor as didn't Paul Williams miss a few in the RWC?

C14570_Autumn_Series-2012-WRU_SAMOA_545x250px3.jpg
C14570_Autumn_Series-2012-WRU_SAMOA_545x250px.jpg

Wales v Samoa
Friday 16th November. Kickoff: 07:30 GMT.

Team News:
Wales:
Alun-Wyn Jones and Josh Turnbull not fit. Jamie Roberts, Jonathan Davies, Ashley Beck and Ryan Jones all possibly fit. Charteris returns from club duty in France.
Samoa: Ti'i Paulo returns from club duty in France.

Oh no, Josh Turnbull is injured, what will we do. Knowing Howley, he'll play McCusker there!

From what I understand, Jon Davies has already been ruled out as well, but it's looking good for Roberts.

Alun-Wyn Jones is a big loss, even if he was poor in his time on the pitch against Argentina. He rarely has two poor games, and is an important player for Wales when playing well. So from the players expected to be fit, I'd like to see:

01 Gethin Jenkins/Paul James, 02 Richie Hibbard, 03 Aaron Jarvis, 04 Luke Charteris, 05 Ian Evans, 06 Ryan Jones (c), 07 Justin Tipuric, 08 Toby Faletau, 09 Mike Phillips, 10 Dan Biggar, 11 George North, 12 Ashley Beck, 13 Jamie Roberts, 14 Alex Cuthbert, 15 Leigh Halfpenny; 16 Ken Owens/Matthew Rees, 17 Paul James/Gethin Jenkins, 18 Samson Lee, 19 Bradley Davies, 20 Sam Warburton, 21 Lloyd Williams, 22 James Hook, 23 Liam Williams.

dulls team is exactly what we need tbf, but knowing Howley we'll see Rees at 2. McCusker at 6. Warburton at 7. and Tipuric nowhere to be seen, Priestland at 10. and Scott Williams at 13.<_<

Here is the young Samoan winger Robert Lilomaiava's 4 tries on his debut against Canada. Looks a very efficient finisher and Wales will need to watch out for him. And on another note, he is still an amateur based in Samoa so maybe some European teams may be watching ...

Last edited by a moderator:
Can't wait to see who starts for both teams. I know Wales will be making the announcement after lunch. Not to sure on Samoa.

Samoa cause is a very good SH team... or Wales cause their players must be very angry. I don´t know, I go for a DRAW :cool:

no, no...don't the bury the Welsh all of a sudden because they lost to the hungriest team in the world at the moment.
They're at home, and god damn it they're still the 6N Grand Slam champs. They'll want to set the record straight, try-scoring ultra-physical Samoa or not.

Wales score a couple or 3, get a few penalties in.
25 - 15 Wales.

Wales will win this.
There's no way they're losing two in a row at home. Their "honor" is at steak, they'll play this like it's the RWC semifinal. (no, I don't mean a red card :p)

JUST KIDDING !! DON'T KEEL ME !!

Beck at 12, North at 13 could be interesting.. then Roberts on the bench to bring him on later should make a huge impact, just take winger off, switch North to wing then Roberts to 13.

Argentina managed to negate our game plan brilliant on Saturday to the extent that it looked like we didn't even have anything in place. We tried to get front foot ball with Jamie Roberts on the crash ball early but he knocked on a couple of times and eventually went off. Someone on the field should have seen this as an indication to say, bring in North and Cuthbert in field and use them to get front foot ball, as they did effectively in the Six Nations. But it didn't happen. The other problem was the way they slowed our ball down at the breakdown. We didn't recycle quick enough and hence we had no momentum. There needs to be more efficient cleanouts, Gethin Jenkins was the only one smashing the rucks. We missed Lydiate in this regard as he is very good at this. Also, we were stuck without ball for long periods of time because we couldn't effect any pressure on the Pumas at the breakdown. Warburton tried hard but is simply not making the steals or slowing the ball down like he used to.

Team I would pick for Samoa (pending on injuries):

1. Gethin Jenkins, 2. Richard Hibbard, 3. Aaron Jarvis, 4. Luke Charteris, 5. Bradley Davies, 6. Ryan Jones (c), 7. Justin Tipuric, 8. Toby Faletau, 9. Mike Phillips, 10. James Hook, 11. George North, 12. Ashley Beck, 13. Jamie Roberts, 14. Alex Cuthbert, 15. Leigh Halfpenny
16. Ken Owens, 17. Paul James, 18. Samson Lee, 19. Aaron Shingler, 20. Sam Warburton, 21. Tavis Knoyle, 22. Dan Biggar, 23. Liam Williams

Hibbard deserves a chance, as he did add some impact when he came on, and he was been in great form for the Ospreys. If Bradley Davies is fit, I'd like to see him start. He'll clean out rucks with vigour which is something we need and Luke Charteris will work hard. Ryan Jones is the obvious choice for 6 and captain considering Tipuric deserves a chance. I want to see how much Hook can get out of strike runners like Roberts, North and Cuthbert. If he can bring them into the game, then the case is closed, he deserves to wear 10 against the All Blacks as Priestland hasn't played well for Wales in a long time. Maybe shifting Roberts out one will assist as Beck is known having lovely hands and being able to put someone through a gap.

Warburton to come on at 60 minutes and be told that if he doesn't perform here Tipuric will wear 7 against New Zealand. Shingler to come in for Davies, Ryan Jones to move to lock.

Come on boys, I know you can play better than last week! Bring on Friday.

Leigh Halfpenny; Alex Cuthbert, Ashley Beck, Jamie Roberts, George North; Dan Biggar, Mike Phillips; Paul James, Richard Hibbard, Aaron Jarvis, Bradley Davies, Ian Evans, Ryan Jones (Capt), Justin Tipuric, Toby Faletau.
Replacements: Ken Owens, Gethin Jenkins, Scott Andrews, Luke Charteris, Sam Warburton, Tavis Knoyle, Rhys Priestland, Scott Williams.

Latest posts