• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

European Champions Cup 2017/18: Pool 3 - Round 2

Happy days. Win our home games and we have a quarter now, Nick another away game and a home quarter and semi is within our grasp.

Very professional performance, feeling the way into the season nicely.

Tbh i know nothing about Montpellier and didnt see last weeks game, hows their form? What the general prediction montpellier or Chiefs?

Looking at the squads im nervous especially because its an away game.

Tbh i know nothing about Montpellier and didnt see last weeks game, hows their form? What the general prediction montpellier or Chiefs?

Looking at the squads im nervous especially because its an away game.
At home Montpellier should win, don't play well away at all though.

Montpellier have just been bigged up by the media in Europe where they have zero pedigree. Come to think of it they've no pedigree in Top 14 either. They were hammered 54 pt away to Bordeaux and lost to SF.
They're a collection of big names. Their team looks better on paper than in reality. Rugby is always about the collective. They are relying on individual solutions (2 Nadolo tries in Leinster) but that won't take them far.

A draw would be a nice result here for Ster. Throws Montpellier out of the competition unless they get some big results in Glasgow and Exeter and has us firmly in the driving seat. Come on nobody.

Huge result from Exe and not bad to have two sides wasted after two rounds, two sides could come out of this group after all considering two sides got through on 3 wins last year and Leinster and Exeter have all but guaranteed that. These head to heads are going to be incredible. Currently as a Leinster fan I feel we're near unbeatable with Sexton and Henshaw starting, not that that is hugely reliable especially after two international games to be played in the interim. After the first two weeks of matches I'd rank Sarries, Leinster and Exeter as the only contenders for this competition, maybe La Rochelle could join them if they find form, hard to see any other sides scaring these three as of now though.

Huge result from Exe and not bad to have two sides wasted after two rounds, two sides could come out of this group after all considering two sides got through on 3 wins last year and Leinster and Exeter have all but guaranteed that. These head to heads are going to be incredible. Currently as a Leinster fan I feel we're near unbeatable with Sexton and Henshaw starting, not that that is hugely reliable especially after two international games to be played in the interim. After the first two weeks of matches I'd rank Sarries, Leinster and Exeter as the only contenders for this competition, maybe La Rochelle could join them if they find form, hard to see any other sides scaring these three as of now though.
2 big things are nothing is won in October. It's keeping key guys fit and in form in April and May.
Also as you point out international games are key. Injuries and intensity. Not just November but 6Nations too

Pool 1 was supposed to be a pool of death but is in danger of being really, really, shitty. Wasps and Quinn are both dog ****. Ulster schmulster, it's worrying for them that they struggled to put us away in our current form, though I know they are a top team potentially. From that lot, if La Rochelle can qualify and then steadily improve over the season they will come to be in with a chance, as you say.

Montpellier with 2 losses are virtually out. They don't know how to win games away in Europe which is one of the most important aspect of winning in Europe. I can't see them winning away. They're a team of bullies. Their bigging up by clueless media just eying their roster is ridiculous.

They have defensive issues. Nadolo and Nagusa are not good defenders. Teams in Top 14 will have done their homework and are going to send a lot of traffic down Nadolo's wing because he can't deal with it most of the time. He is slow to turn and doesn't defend his channel well. Also I can see quicker wingers taking him out on the outside.
Their scrum is not very good. And they're not very good in the rucks. They're prone to giving away stupid away penalties etc. which they did again v Exeter. That's a lot for a team of superstars...

Last edited:
Wish i had seen the game, was watching the scorline and was nervous as for most of the game Chiefs seemed 7 points behind. Obv don armand with 2 but who were the stand out players in the last 20. Did simmonds hold his own off the bench? And anyone putting hand up to play the argies?

Wish i had seen the game, was watching the scorline and was nervous as for most of the game Chiefs seemed 7 points behind. Obv don armand with 2 but who were the stand out players in the last 20. Did simmonds hold his own off the bench? And anyone putting hand up to play the argies?

I didn't see the game but I think with the performances other forwards have put in (particularly Genge) Jones may be more open to sacrificing carrying power at 8 in favour of another lineout option and more dynamism.

Simmonds was good but probably overshadowed by Hepburn and Williams in terms of sub impact.

"Away in a manger, no crib for a bed,
the little lord jesus lay down his sweet head,
the stars in the night sky looked down where HEAL-a-Y HEAL-a-Y

965781.jpg

It's Christmas time and we have songs! I think it'd be arrogant and unfounded to suggest anything short of a hammering and 5 points on the table for Leinster against England's best team considering that's what we did to Scotland's best team and Scotland are better than England now according to reputable rugby clickbait news sources. Bring it on Devon, expect you're cider to run dry... from you lot drinking your sorrows, we drink men's drinks such as gin and tonics and fruity craft IPAs in South Dublin.

Leinster Rugby (caps in brackets):

15. Rob Kearney (188)

14. Fergus McFadden (158)

13. Garry Ringrose (40)

12. Robbie Henshaw (16)

11. Isa Nacewa (175) CAPTAIN

10. Johnny Sexton (139)

9. Luke McGrath (83)

1. Cian Healy (180)

2. Seán Cronin (139)

3. Tadhg Furlong (72)

4. Devin Toner (205)

5. Scott Fardy (8)

6. Rhys Ruddock (138)

7. Seán O'Brien (112)

8. Jack Conan (61)

16. James Tracy (51)

17. Jack McGrath (119)

18. Michael Bent (96)

19. James Ryan (5)

20. Josh van der Flier (54)

21. Jamison Gibson-Park (38)

22. Ross Byrne (35)

23. Jordan Larmour (8)

Referee: Romain Poite (FRU)

Jordan Larmour finds himself ahead of recent Ireland internationals Adam Byrne, Dave Kearney and Rory O'Loughlin as outside back cover. Behind Fergus McFadden though which is a bit of a head scratcher.

Team looks very strong apart from out wide where I can only assume Leo Cullen has gone for defensive solidity over attacking threats away from home.

Absolute beast of a pack. Very much an away selection. Scheduling is shite but can't wait for the actual match.

Some mutterings that Adam Byrne is injured.

Exeter look outrageously ordinary on paper to the point that Jack Nowell and Thomas Francis are the only players I'd take over their opposite numbers from Sunday's squad. At the same time I'm well aware that Exeter being favourites for this one is hugely fair and a testament to everything that is Chiefs rugby.

I think our season could be defined by this and a win will have me saying we're going to win in Bilbao, it could also prove to be the beginning of the end, I'd much rather beat home first.

Exeter look outrageously ordinary on paper to the point that Jack Nowell and Thomas Francis are the only players I'd take over their opposite numbers from Sunday's squad. At the same time I'm well aware that Exeter being favourites for this one is hugely fair and a testament to everything that is Chiefs rugby.

I think our season could be defined by this and a win will have me saying we're going to win in Bilbao, it could also prove to be the beginning of the end, I'd much rather beat home first.

Don't Jabba O'Hutt beat them, so you should be fine since Lancaster is a amazing coach.

Out of interest why isn't Nowell starting? Just back fit? Have to agree with Alpha, for a team with no small budget, Exeter do look ordinary on paper. Exeter have always looked like they were better than the sum of their individual parts to me. The team of hyped Irish superstars going over to play an English team without big names, but hugely gritty and tough to beat at home all the same......... That sounds weird. Wouldn't really mind an Exeter win at all.

Latest posts