• Help Support The Rugby Forum :

Fourie returns to red

S

Steve-o

http://www.keo.co.za/2008/07/08/fourie-back-in-red/

Springbok centre Jaque Fourie has recovered quicker than expected from an elbow injury and should be fit to play for the Lions this weekend.

Fourie injured his elbow at the Springbok training camp and had surgery to repair damaged medial ligaments. It was initially diagnosed that he would only begin training later this month but he has returned sooner than expected and should be included on the bench for Saturday’s Absa Currie Cup match against Boland.

“I’m delaying the announcement of my team until Thursday morning when the medical reports come through. Basically, it seems like Jaque will be able to sit on the bench,†Lions coach Loffie Eloff told keo.co.za.

If Fourie can manage to put together an injury-free run over the next month, he should come into the selection frame for the Boks’ home-leg of the Tri-Nations, which begins on 16 August against the All Blacks in Cape Town. The Springboks also face Argentina the Saturday before at Ellis Park and Fourie’s presence in the midfield will only aid the Boks.

The Lions won their first game of the Currie Cup last week against the Valke and Fourie’s return will be an additional boost. He only played the final two matches for the Lions in the Super 14 after sitting out most of the regional tournament with a groin injury, but his impact in attack and defence was patent against the Chiefs and Stormers â€" immediately galvanising what had previously looked a limp outfit.

There is, however, a growing list of injury concerns running through the camp.

Lock is the position hardest hit as Gerhard Mostert will continue his time on the sidelines with a shoulder injury. Anton van Zyl hurt his ankle in his first match back after returning from a calf injury, while Franco van der Merwe’s strained hamstring means he is also in doubt. Willem Stoltz and Alten Hulme will now fight for the spot in the second row alongside Dewald Senekal.

[/b]

Good to see Fourie is gonna be playing rugby soon, the most interesting part of this article is the possiblity of him playing in the Tri-Nations this year. Holding thumbs, our centre depth will be excellent if he is included. Him, De Villiers, Steyn, Grant, and last but most certainly not least Jacobs. That's a class section of the squad. Obviously one of those players would be replaced though...

Great to see Fourie recovering quicker than was expected. He is a top quality player and formed a fantastic partnership with de Villers. I'd expect him to return into his Springbok jersey with Jacobs losing out. It might cause Steyn to be considered a full-back, as he is definately not a fly-half and with Fourie recovering so well I think Steyn would lose his chance for getting this position.

janjtes should be on the bench, james at fly and steyn at fullback.

Janjtes is versitle on wing and fullback, he's ideal for the bench incase anything happens to styen or habana,
Great to see a great player back :).

janjtes should be on the bench, james at fly and steyn at fullback.

Janjtes is versitle on wing and fullback, he's ideal for the bench incase anything happens to styen or habana,
Great to see a great player back :).
[/b]
i love fourie as a centre and in combination with de villiers, they would make any team concerned in that area, steyn has a few years to go, so i would put him on the bench for now cause he is also very versatile, jantjies must play, he is our best fullback at this moment

Latest posts